Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

With the 2 extra suites downstairs it should be listed as more than a duplex shouldn't it?

I guess that's another question we can raise. If a home is a duplex (and maybe BCA's reference to it as a house, not a duplex is a mistake) does that mean each of the units can have a secondary suite, therefore four units in total? Of course if what the mayor says is the case about her upper floor unit being self-contained in a duplex, then one would imagine the secondary suite attributed to that unit should be accessible through or a part of the upper floor.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#842 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

If Dean Fortin was still Mayor today, I bet the lynch mob would be out after hearing todays Bridge update.

Were they on vacation the entire time that he was mayor?

#843 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

I guess that's another question we can raise. If a home is a duplex (and maybe BCA's reference to it as a house, not a duplex is a mistake) does that mean each of the units can have a secondary suite, therefore four units in total? Of course if what the mayor says is the case about her upper floor unit being self-contained in a duplex, then one would imagine the secondary suite attributed to that unit should be accessible through or a part of the upper floor.

Duplexes cannot have secondary suites.

http://www.victoria....ary-suites.html

A secondary suite is a legal suite, located within a single family detached house and cannot be strata-titled. Currently, secondary suites are only permitted in single family homes with one exiting dwelling; for example duplexes or homes that already contain a garden suite are not eligible for a secondary suite.

Edited by spanky123, 16 June 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#844 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

Oh, well there we have it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#845 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Some folks make no effort to conceal their private life, others fight hard to keep their private life from going public ... it's a personal choice.

But like all choices, you have to live with the choice you make, and the fallout from that choice is yours to own.

Denial of something with even a seed of truth attached to it never ends well for those doing the denying.

And nobody is going to get sued for libel, there being a massive difference between making denials in an internet forum, and making those same denials as sworn testimony in a court of law, and with the potential for cross-examination.

The elephant in the room of course, is that most anybody who has paid attention over time already knows quite well what's going on.

• Nparker, rjag and spanky123 like this

#846 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

She should resign at this juncture. It's probably the best option given how horrible the optics are.

Carry that righteous indignation about horrible optics over to the Mueller investigation thread

#847 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Some folks make no effort to conceal their private life, others fight hard to keep their private life from going public ... it's a personal choice.

But like all choices, you have to live with the choice you make, and the fallout from that choice is yours to own.

The Mayor's problem is that she thinks she is clever and likes to try and split hairs rather than address the broader context of the topic. When it blows up on her she then goes to facebook complaining about her treatment and seeking the soothing assurances of the 20-30 people who still support her.

Edited by spanky123, 16 June 2017 - 10:36 AM.

• Nparker and weirdie like this

#848 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Remember, what catapulted Helps to power was the bungling of the bridge, and even then by less than 50 votes.

Consider how much more controversial the last 2.5 years have been under Helps compared to six under Fortin. Big difference.

Know it all.

#849 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Consider how much more controversial the last 2.5 years have been under Helps compared to six under Fortin. Big difference.

Yes and no.  The bridge and the decision making around that was controversial from the get go under Fortin's watch.  The garbage referendum that was then ignored was controversial.

If Fortin was still mayor sewage would still have come to a head in his term (though would he have added controversy by proposing a second plant at Clover Point?).

A Fortin led council would still be pushing ahead with bike lanes which has generated some controversy, albeit less in the real world than the pages of VV.

I do agree that Lisa Helps has scored some major own goals on the controversy front with harebrained ideas such as sleeping in cars, lousy optics on the airbnb issue and the homelessness issue in general.

While I don't think the airbnb issue is that huge (Lisa hasn't been advocating some conflict of interest solution for her landlord/supporter/buddy) it is one that will resonate with the public as it is easy to understand and looks hypocritical. Could be the tipping point that convinces her not to run again*

*Possibly freeing up the "left lane" for a run by Issitt

#850 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

*Possibly freeing up the "left lane" for a run by Issitt

Unintended consequences

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#851 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

Unintended consequences

More like collateral damage.

#852 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

Yes and no.  The bridge and the decision making around that was controversial from the get go under Fortin's watch.  The garbage referendum that was then ignored was controversial.

I can't even remember the number of controversies there have been so many.

Have we already forgotten the oath controversy, the Topaz Park "done deal" homeless camp controversy, the pot shop licensing and zoning controversy and the sudden materialization of tent city controversy? And that was just the beginning.

Then we had Elsner, then we had sleeping in cars, the Gorge boating debacle, Cody the Dog, poet laureates, $16,000 crosswalks, and musical stairs. Now we have a growing homelessness issue on our streets, Central Care Home, police calling for more money, rising crime, the boats are still there and the bridge has been essentially discarded because it's someone else's problem. And this list is far from exhaustive, but this week we can add three more: billeting for the homeless, a questionable landlord/tenant arrangement with bylaw-busting AirBnB's, and as of yesterday, city council has pushed ahead with restrictions on a vacation rental industry they literally helped create.

• David Bratzer, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#853 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

I do agree that Lisa has been genuinely been more controversial than Dean.

However your list conflates a whole bunch of issues. Big ones that would cost her votes at the next election if she ran (Topaz, tent city and handling of homelessness in general, bridge) with micro ones that I don't think that many care about (crosswalks, oath, musical stairs).

#854 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Q:  Why are we losing the Harbour Towers, the Queen Victoria Inn and the place out on Craigflower?  Economics is behind it, but why are these places considered better off as monthly rentals that hotels, to their owners?

The Dominion was always a bit of an odd one, with one floor closed completely.  I can understand its change.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#855 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Some controversies are bigger than others, for sure, but the electorate hasn't had a chance to breath there have been so many.

Oh, and I forgot Biketoria. It's been very controversial.

• Nparker and David Bratzer like this

Know it all.

#856 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i23CJVQCpaI

• Nparker, Wayne and Love the rock like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#857 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 19 Jun 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i23CJVQCpaI

Truly Embarrassing.

#858 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

FWIW, a caller on CFAX's 'legally speaking' last week claimed that she went to the TC archives to try and find the article that Helps references from WWII and she says it doesn't exist.

#859 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Free billeting during the war?

Edited by Rob Randall, 19 June 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#860 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

^ What the caller is saying is that during the war the TC never ran an article callling on people in Victoria to billet their homes to workers. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users