Lisa Helps | Victoria | Mayor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1141 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

Oh, they sure can use the land for what they want.  But commercial and mortgage lenders are wary.  You want to build your Home Improvement Store on native land?  Even if you have a 50-year lease, Mr. Lender wants tougher terms than if you owned the land.  Same for residential mortgages.  

Instead, let natives sell off land as they choose. 

Mr. Lender wants tougher terms because the risk is that he/she wakes up one day and finds out that band has taken over your store and there is no court in the country that will hear your plea for your lease to be honoured. 

The fear with providing the FN bands (in general and not referring to a specific band) with clear titled land is that they turn around and sell it with a chief and a few council members pocketing 100% of the proceeds. 

Edited by spanky123, 05 September 2017 - 07:41 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1142 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

Another issue with change FN lands to fee simple is the fairness issue simply due to location. Some bands would make out like bandits (ie. Musqueam, Squamish). Others would get land with basically little to no value (ie. Gitxsan).

#1143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

off-topic.jpg

#1144 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

I think the fear has always been the natives would end up with no land in the end if they could sell it as fee simple. I agree, that's a risk, but its a risk everyone else takes. Nothing is stopping a FN family from owning hundreds of acres of land in Canada and living similarly to 500 years ago if they want to.

Wouldn't the band still maintain jurisdiction over it? Similar to a municipality, but with more autonomy?

#1145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

Wouldn't the band still maintain jurisdiction over it? Similar to a municipality, but with more autonomy?

As it's never really been done, I guess hard to know where the land would "go".

• Mattjvd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1146 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Yes, she says we have to get the dollar amount we still owe and pay up.

Here's the link:   http://www.timescolo...#undefined.gbpl

This conversation and the way it is being carried out by the left is deeply troubling. Apologies and reparations for the residential school atrocity are warranted and good. The furthering of this 'guilt ridden settler' narrative I don't think furthers our Canadian society at all. Living in the past is not moving forward.

My question is, how can First Nations become wealthy? Until more First Nations decide to join the 21st century global economy, they will continue to be largely left behind. Thankfully, the tide is somewhat changing. 

• Nparker and rjag like this

#1147 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

The tide is turning way too slow. 1500 natives were airlifted to Winnipeg away from fires.

Why were they living in such a remote place? That band will never be wealthy.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1148 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Slow, indeed. 

The Tsawwassen FN has seemingly done well for itself.* Same with the Osoyoos Indian Band. Many have tried to become involved in oil and gas.

Why don't the Songhees or Tsawout run a lodge? There's got to be a tourist market for a First Nations themed vacation experience. 

* Tsawwassen FN has a recently negotiated treaty. 

Edited by jonny, 05 September 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#1149 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

The "guilt ridden settler" narrative is just as damaging as the remnants of the Indian Act, an Act that still today serves to do nothing but ensure that the status quo (which is grossly unhealthy both physically and mentally) is maintained with absolutely no hope of improvement, or hope for a better life for those folks forced to live under the Act.

When that status quo is obviously broken beyond all hope of repair, both the "guilt ridden settler" and the accompanying Indian Act that's largely responsible for that guilt are remnants of a long dead way of looking at Canada and ALL of the people who live here.

The massive elephant in the room is that First Nations reservations DON'T WORK, and as politically incorrect as it is to say that out loud, it's painfully obvious to all who bother to take note.

Throwing taxpayers guilty money at First Nations in an effort to assuage "settlers guilt" accomplishes NOTHING OF VALUE - something that's been proven time and time again.

The Musqueam and other wealthy First Nations located in major cities are hardly representative of reservations in general, and ANY land owner or "pseudo land owner" who had land in the middle of one of North Americas most desirable cities (Vancouver) and who WASN'T getting insanely wealthy as a result - well ... it just doesn't happen.

But to expect the grossly uninformed Lisa Helps to understand that I HAVE NO GUILT, and that I'M NOT REMOTELY RESPONSIBLE for something that happened over a century ago ... well, to expect Helps to understand that would be to ignore her lack of accomplishment in the Mayors office, and also to ignore the now famous "list" of her endless blunders.

Realistically, Helps shouldn't even be commenting on First Nations issues, as not only is she personally ridden with guilt such that she doesn't make any sense - perhaps more importantly, as First Nations are a federal issue, and she's nothing more than a petty local bureaucrat ... it's absolutely none of her business!

A Mayor isn't taking care of their (her) taxpayers if they're consumed with guilt over things their ancestors might have done, or otherwise spending all their time obsessing over issues that have absolutely nothing to do with them!

Edited by Cassidy, 05 September 2017 - 01:36 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, jonny and 3 others like this

#1150 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

nvm - oops 

Edited by jonny, 05 September 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#1151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

Slow, indeed. 

The Tsawwassen FN has seemingly done well for itself. Same with the Osoyoos Indian Band. Many have tried to become involved in oil and gas.

Why don't the Songhees or Tsawout run a lodge? There's got to be a tourist market for a First Nations themed vacation experience. 

Especially with some of the nice land they have.

• jonny likes this

#1152 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

The massive elephant in the room is that First Nations reservations DON'T WORK, and as politically incorrect as it is to say that out loud, it's painfully obvious to all who bother to take note.

Throwing taxpayers guilty money at First Nations in an effort to assuage "settlers guilt" accomplishes NOTHING OF VALUE - something that's been proven time and time again.

They work for the native leaders.  They draw large, or huge, and sometimes obscene salaries, all the while leaving them with conditions on-reserve to keep moaning about.  Classic way to keep their people focused on others' for their on-reserve problems.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#1153 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

The tide is turning way too slow. 1500 natives were airlifted to Winnipeg away from fires.

Why were they living in such a remote place? That band will never be wealthy.

I am surprised that they agreed to be airlifted out. This was a big issues with FN leaders at the beginning of the summer. Apparently they have been living on the land for thousands of years and know how to deal with fire. They didn't want top be told to leave their homes.

#1154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

They work for the native leaders.  They draw large, or huge, and sometimes obscene salaries, all the while leaving them with conditions on-reserve to keep moaning about.  Classic way to keep their people focused on others' for their on-reserve problems.

You are right. Many FN should be asking their band councils and Chief for a full accounting of where all of their money is going.

• LJ likes this

#1155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

I am surprised that they agreed to be airlifted out. This was a big issues with FN leaders at the beginning of the summer. Apparently they have been living on the land for thousands of years and know how to deal with fire. They didn't want top be told to leave their homes.

A cynic might say a free trip to Winnipeg is a good deal for some.  Hotels, spending money.  Outside of government jobs, there are none at Poplar River.  So either people don't work, or they get paid anyway their government/band salary.

#1156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Moderators: can we please get the off-topic posts moved to the appropriate thread?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1157 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Moderators: can we please get the off-topic posts moved to the appropriate thread?

Moderators?  None around at the moment please hold... or try the Canoe Club.

#1158 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

You are right. Many FN should be asking their band councils and Chief for a full accounting of where all of their money is going.

The conservatives passed a law that mandated this and the liberals announced soon after the election that it would no longer be enforced.

#1159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

If the politician for whom this thread is named led to this discussion, why should we remove it from the thread dedicated to her and her policies?

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

If the politician for whom this thread is named led to this discussion, why should we remove it from the thread dedicated to her and her policies?

I can give 2 reasons:

• the comments have long since veered away from the initial discussion around Ms. Helps' editorial
  • a more appropriate thread exists for this topic

But since you are questioning my request, I imagine you've already decided to use "moderator veto" to maintain the off-topic discussion

Therefore, I must reiterate...

off-topic.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users