Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1161 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

The conservatives passed a law that mandated this and the liberals announced soon after the election that it would no longer be enforced.

I had not heard or read anywhere the Liberals did that. Not that it would surprise me.

NParker, how about leaving the moderating to the moderators? If you're too cheap to pay Mike for the privilege...  :teacher:

• Bingo likes this

#1162 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

They stopped enforcing it..

http://ipolitics.ca/...ave-left-alone/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1163 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

The article is very typical of Lisa Helps. She could have just as easily made her point by not referring to residents as 'settlers'. She isn't stupid, she would have known that the term would have infuriated people. Perhaps she feels that by opening wounds she is broadening the discussion, but judging by the comments on her FB page she seems to be doing nothing more than stirring up more animosity and hatred.

I would like to think that the Mayor has some broader purpose behind her actions that will benefit the community rather than harm it but I am not yet seeing it. 

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#1164 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

The article is very typical of Lisa Helps. She could have just as easily made her point by not referring to residents as 'settlers'. She isn't stupid, she would have known that the term would have infuriated people. Perhaps she feels that by opening wounds she is broadening the discussion, but judging by the comments on her FB page she seems to be doing nothing more than stirring up more animosity and hatred.

I would like to think that the Mayor has some broader purpose behind her actions that will benefit the community rather than harm it but I am not yet seeing it. 

I think the opposite, she doesnt give a crap about what 'settlers' think but is playing to a native audience in an attempt to win them over to her. She's had a taste of a little bit of power and a regular decent size paycheque. She is aiming higher I think as there is no way she will earn that type of money unless she remains political or becomes a poverty pimp.

I think its all about the money and the next 2-3 steps for her, I bet she is coming to the realisation she maybe only has 15 months left in this gig and then how is she going to pay the bills....consider how quiet the Ben and Jerry show have been as well...there will be the beginnings of behind the scenes lobbying with the NDP to figure out what type of support will or wont be coming....

Edited by rjag, 06 September 2017 - 06:38 AM.

#1165 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I think the opposite, she doesnt give a crap about what 'settlers' think but is playing to a native audience in an attempt to win them over to her.

You mean those massive crowds of First Nations people at the All-Candidates meetings?

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

#1166 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Pandering to that huge and all powerful first-nations voting bloc, the key to political success in Victoria and BC.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1167 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Pandering to that huge and all powerful first-nations voting bloc, the key to political success in Victoria and BC.

But pandering to white guilt probably does quite well at the local ballot box.

• AllseeingEye, Nostalgic Victoria, johnk and 1 other like this

#1168 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

You mean those massive crowds of First Nations people at the All-Candidates meetings?

hehe nope but shes playing to an audience and I think playing a long game with these kinds of conversations and labels

#1169 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Recall that in the last election it was only 9200 people out of the 85,000 who live in Victoria proper that actually voted for Helps.

It doesn't require a whole lot of "focused" campaigning to get the few hundred extra votes it takes to actually sit in the mayors chair in Victoria.

The couple of thousand aboriginal folks (not just local First Nations, but also transplanted Inuit and Metis, etc) living in Victoria proper represent MORE than enough voters to swing any municipal election any way they wished to swing it ... presuming they all voted together as a block.

Add the guilty white vote to that, and you've got yourself an easy four years in the Mayors office.

• rjag, AllseeingEye, jonny and 1 other like this

#1170 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

58.  Participatory Budgeting - we should not be looking for more ways to spend taxpayer money, if we have $50,000 extra, lower rates

59. Co-chair of the police board during a human rights hearing in 2015 and subsequent finding of discrimination.

#1171 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

^ Lisa Helps inherited this case though. There was not much she could have done about the case unless I am wrong.

#1172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

The Mayor has asked for another private meeting in early November.  I've agreed.

The 22-part series is on hold until at least after this meeting, my decision (ie. not a request by Mayor Helps).  The series still has the flexibility to be condensed and still easily fit in the original time frame (all released by January, 2018) if required.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 September 2017 - 04:53 PM.

• Nparker, David Bratzer, Nostalgic Victoria and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1173 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

Same place over tea?

#1174 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Same place over tea?

No, somewhere different...

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1175 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Lisa Helps confirmed today that January 1st is her decision day for re-election (or not).

#1176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

This'll be an interesting birthday.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1177 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

I guess it will depend on where else she can earn a 6 figure salary with the associated perks. At least Dean Fortin was a trained lawyer that he could hang his hat on if politics didnt work.

#1178 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

With a federal election 18 months afterwards it gives her time to snag a few 'consulting' gigs before she has to gear up to run.

#1179 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Just ten months, the election will be next October.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Just ten months, the election will be next October.

I think Spanky meant the next Federal election.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users