Lisa Helps | Victoria | Mayor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1241 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

Maybe we can strike a deal with the Triads to provide an endless supply of street drugs to our local addicts for free so they stop breaking into cars and stealing bikes for drug money. 

Don't give them any ideas.

• jonny likes this

#1242 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

I'm pretty sure her skill set is well below the standard for the job she is doing now, although here resume is as thick as Trudeau's.

What's dangerous tho she doesn't appear to believe it .

#1243 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

What's dangerous tho she doesn't appear to believe it .

Reminds me of another politician living to the south of us!!

#1244 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:13 AM

Maybe we can strike a deal with the Triads to provide an endless supply of street drugs to our local addicts for free so they stop breaking into cars and stealing bikes for drug money. 

Where do you think the fentanyl comes from? That stuff is reducing bike thefts.

• sebberry likes this

#1245 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Mayor Helps says she will need some relaxation time after her China trip:

Mayor Helps China Trip.png

#1246 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

WTF? A vacation to recover from her taxpayer paid vacation? She really doesn't care what she says anymore. She has no shame.  :mad:

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#1247 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

So a notion that a 'one and done' quickie trip is going to somehow magically result in some tangible, measurable financial windfall on this side of the pond in 6 months, or a year, or even two, is I would suggest fanciful at best. Delusional at worst. It typically would require several repeated such trips - literally years' worth, involving presumably bucket-loads of taxpayer dollars - in order for anything substantive to possibly emerge benefiting BC or Victoria.

When pressed for details on the ROI of her "one and done" she deflects to Paul Nursey.

“I think Paul Nursey [Tourism Victoria president and CEO] quantified the value of that as close to $300,000 in terms of the reach within China about Victoria,” she said. “That in itself is a payoff.”

• AllseeingEye and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#1248 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

A lot of people would support her staying there permanently if she can bring in $300,000 every 10 days.

She certainly brought in another $1M per year for Nursey’s organization.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1249 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

A lot of people would support her staying there permanently...

If I thought she might stay in Asia permanently I might just cough up her (one-time) expenses to get her there myself.

Edited by Nparker, 14 October 2017 - 03:56 PM.

• Nostalgic Victoria and Love the rock like this

#1250 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Mayor Helps says she will need some relaxation time after her China trip:

Maybe she will re-activate the sewage study junket to Europe for some R&R.

• Nparker likes this

#1251 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

When pressed for details on the ROI of her "one and done" she deflects to Paul Nursey.

“I think Paul Nursey [Tourism Victoria president and CEO] quantified the value of that as close to $300,000 in terms of the reach within China about Victoria,” she said. “That in itself is a payoff.” 

Uh-huh, based on what criteria considering the Victoria contingent hasn't even left the country yet? How is it possible that anything has been 'quantified' in advance of any face to face discussions? At best "$300K" is an absolute best-case scenario wild-ass guesstimate. Any estimate of ROI in advance of even meeting these people - and establishing the aforementioned level of trust critical in any business dealing with potential Asian customers - is mere vaporware at this point and nothing more....

In that case though I can make stuff up too with just as much credence: I therefore predict 'in terms of the reach within China' that the payoff for Victoria will be "a bajillion-kajillion dollars...." See I can play too...

Edited by AllseeingEye, 14 October 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1252 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Maybe she will re-activate the sewage study junket to Europe for some R&R.

I hear they might have some new ideas on homelessness in Hawaii maybe two weeks there with a few council members might be in order when she returns from China .

#1253 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

I hear they might have some new ideas on homelessness in Hawaii maybe two weeks there with a few council members might be in order when she returns from China .

...not to mention a study of how to build a swimming pool for FUN and PROFIT.

• Love the rock likes this

#1254 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

"If wishes were horses..." - but would it be too much to ask for a Victoria mayor like Calgary's Nenshi?

In Calgary, we have Nenshi, a guy that the current polls say will once again win the election for mayor, this because the citizens of one of Canada's most red-neck cities (Calgary) continue to elect a Muslim mayor because he deeply loves the city he's in charge of, and he runs Calgary without trying to change it into a city that the rest of the residents aren't asking for, and don't want.

Some folks tell me that they're tired of all the negative press, and negative comments about Helps, and they wonder what we expect from a mayor.

Just look to Calgary if you want to know what to expect, and how a mayor can make a huge and positive difference to the city they're in charge of.

Look to Calgary, where the majority of the residents love their mayor.

Nenshi manages the City he loves, and accepts it as it is - and manages his city as the residents of Calgary want to see it managed.

Helps manages the City she's obviously not at all in love with, and tries every day to turn it into some sort of expanded vision of her composting business, or at the very least turn it into something entirely different than it actually is, she sees a city with no cars, no successful businesses, and no consideration as to what the people that pay her salary actually want from the City of Victoria. I guess she sees tourists arriving in something other than a car paying all the bills, perhaps supplemented by wealthy people who visit their otherwise empty and dark condo in the Humbolt Valley for 3 weeks each year.

So for folks who might say "hey, quit constantly dragging on Helps" ... I would say "hey, she definitely ain't no Nenshi".

• David Bratzer, Wayne and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1255 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

The pills ibmve been reading about lately all have his challenger well in the lead. Where'd you read that he is leading?

#1256 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

The pills ibmve been reading about lately all have his challenger well in the lead....

You may need to cut back on some of those pills... ;)

#1257 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

^It is interesting that Forum research puts Nenshi 17 points ahead and Mainstreet puts Smith 13 points ahead. 

#1258 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

The pills ibmve been reading about lately all have his challenger well in the lead. Where'd you read that he is leading?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...earch-1.4354390

#1259 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Lisa Helps

It was the summer after Grade 8. That summer, my friends and I had taken to setting up a tent in my backyard and camping out there. Kind of a suburban kids’ adventure right at home. I also had

a boyfriend that summer. A bit of a rough- and-tumble guy, but I liked him.

One night, when three of us were camped out in the backyard, he came by in the middle of the night. We were still awake talking, of course — we were teenage girls. He came into the tent and my two friends quickly acted like they were asleep.

We began kissing and that felt nice — it’s as far as we’d gone, as far as I’d gone with anyone. I was only 14, after all. Then all of a sudden he had his hand down my pants and his fingers inside of me.

I said: “Stop, that hurts.”

He didn’t.

Then very shortly after I said: “I have to pee.”

That worked.

I went inside, used the washroom, and tied the drawstring of my pyjama pants as tightly as I could, asserting my “no” as physically as possible.

Lisa Helps is the mayor of Victoria

http://www.timescolo...ries-1.23070883

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1260 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

The Times Colonist article that is linked above is a must read. Perhaps our civilization will take notice once it becomes socially shameful to harass anyone for any kind of aggressive behavior. The bullies of the world need to be stood up to. 

The women that shared their stories in the article are brave souls. I saw my eldest daughter post a # me too on her facebook page. That's not right. Thank you Lisa.

• VicHockeyFan, sebberry, Bingo and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users