Housecreep: stigmatized and noteworthy home listings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

I found this site online called housecreep where you may look up houses in your area and find out about murders and such that have taken place in the home.

The Victoria link doesnt have much yet but in time I am sure people will help out.

A must need service before a major purchase.

http://www.housecreep.com/

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hmm. I'd like to know if the place was a growop or methlab. But how does a murder affect the value?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

It's all perception, I guess. Some people would just feel off if they lived in a home within which someone was murdered. But chances are if they don't know they won't have any bad vibes from the place.

I have a feeling there is tremendous potential for misuse here. People could falsely report terrible activity in a home in order to increase the perceived value in a neighbouring property that may be competing with another. I hope these guys are stocked with a good set of lawyers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

some buyers definitely have issues. The house where the Korean chap murdered his family and himself languished for quite some time on the market if I remember correctly. stigma comes in all sorts of forms

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I wouldn't want to live in that house. Hell no.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

I have a feeling there is tremendous potential for misuse here. People could falsely report terrible activity in a home in order to increase the perceived value in a neighbouring property that may be competing with another. I hope these guys are stocked with a good set of lawyers.

The above is my concern as well.  

Grow-op or methlab have to be disclosed on the property disclosure form.  Murder or death inside the home is not required to be disclosed in BC.  

I think it is always smart to google the address of a property you are considering buying to see if anything interesting comes, or perhaps talk to the neighbours to see if you dig up anything interesting.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users