Saanich mayoral race

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

Thought this was likely worthy of its own thread.

Richard Atwell (of The Rite Plan) is running for mayor in Saanich against incumbent Frank Leonard (mayor since 1996).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Richard is very well spoken, and very knowledgeable in a number of areas. He was instrumental in advocating for a distributed sewage treatment system. No doubt he will be bringing up Leonard's attendance record at the CRD sewage treatment committee.

Fred Haynes, past president of the Prospect Lake Community Association, will officially announce his bid for a Saanich Council seat today at 4:00 PM.

Looks like we have an interesting and important election coming up in Saanich.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Anyone know Richard's political leanings fiscally and socially?

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

I worry about people who run because there's one or two issues they're concerned with.  Shellie Gudgeon turned out to be a one-hit wonder, who ran because she was upset at something whereas Lisa Helps sees opportunity to changes many aspects of how city hall is run. 

Is Richard Atwell running because he's upset at the sewage issue? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

I agree. Running because of one issue is quite silly. Not too excited to here that. 

Anyone know of his background? 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#6 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Y'know, the sewage issue has the potential to cost me, and other Saanich taxpayers, ~ $500 a year (last I heard) - one of the largest single line items in my tax bill. The Mayor is, I feel, supposed to be defending my interests as a taxpayer.  If he can't even be bothered to show up to the meetings (a 2% attendance rate?!!) then he should be called to account - and the way to do that is in an election campaign.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#7 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

Y'know, the sewage issue has the potential to cost me, and other Saanich taxpayers, ~ $500 a year (last I heard) - one of the largest single line items in my tax bill. The Mayor is, I feel, supposed to be defending my interests as a taxpayer.  If he can't even be bothered to show up to the meetings (a 2% attendance rate?!!) then he should be called to account - and the way to do that is in an election campaign.

Y'know being the Mayor he has a lot more on his plate that just the sewage treatment plant right?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Y'know being the Mayor he has a lot more on his plate that just the sewage treatment plant right?

If he doesn't have time to do it himself he should have delegated it. The position doesn't have to be him!
  • Nparker likes this

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

I worry about people who run because there's one or two issues they're concerned with.  Shellie Gudgeon turned out to be a one-hit wonder, who ran because she was upset at something whereas Lisa Helps sees opportunity to changes many aspects of how city hall is run. 

Is Richard Atwell running because he's upset at the sewage issue? 

As I have said before, the more issues you take a stand on the more you carve up your voter base. Pick one important topic and run with it.

As an aside, did Frank ever have a position on anything?

• Nparker likes this

#10 Better Saanich

Better Saanich
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Richard Atwell has a background in computer science. He's very intelligent, objective, motivated and community minded. He's quite familiar with the issues in Saanich and he listens. Compare that to Frank Leonards' reputation for autocracy and complacency. The time has come to elect a new mayor in Saanich and Mr. Atwell has what it takes. 

#11 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

Richard Atwell has a background in computer science. He's very intelligent, objective, motivated and community minded. He's quite familiar with the issues in Saanich and he listens. Compare that to Frank Leonards' reputation for autocracy and complacency. The time has come to elect a new mayor in Saanich and Mr. Atwell has what it takes. 

Having the name Better Saanich, your profile photo being a winner of a race, this being your first post, and calling out Mayor Leonard - is this Richard Atwell himself?

Honest question. 

• John M. likes this

- Jane Jacobs 

#12 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

If I'm not mistaken, there was (or is) a Richard Atwell (or someone with a similar name) on the Saanich-Gulf Islands NDP EDA.

#13 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, there was (or is) a Richard Atwell (or someone with a similar name) on the Saanich-Gulf Islands NDP EDA.

I would be quite surprised if that was the case. Richard Atwell just spent the past three years critiquing the NDP sewage plan.

#14 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

I would be quite surprised if that was the case. Richard Atwell just spent the past three years critiquing the NDP sewage plan.

I am likely mistaken then

#15 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

But the question still remains, is Better Saanich Mr.Atwell himself. Complementing himself followed by directly speaking down upon Frank Leonard. 

My curiosity lingers. 

- Jane Jacobs 

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

Are there only two candidates in the mayoral race?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Are there only two candidates in the mayoral race?

So far.  But today is the opening of nominations.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 Better Saanich

Better Saanich
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

Sorry Mixed 365, I don't see any option to reply to your comment. I can assure you that I am not Richard Atwell. I am someone who is very much against the sewage plan, someone who knows Richard & has a lot of confidence in him & someone who is dissatisfied with the mayor & council in Saanich. They are not listening to the public on a number of issues & we are overdue for change.

#19 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Sorry Mixed 365, I don't see any option to reply to your comment. I can assure you that I am not Richard Atwell. I am someone who is very much against the sewage plan, someone who knows Richard & has a lot of confidence in him & someone who is dissatisfied with the mayor & council in Saanich. They are not listening to the public on a number of issues & we are overdue for change.

Why aren't you running then?

• HB likes this

- Jane Jacobs 

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

I got a 'vote Richard Atwell' card in the mail already on Monday. Is campaigning allowed already?

By the way, where is his website? I haven't lived in Saanich long enough to be able to compare candidates based on historical performance (incumbants), so I need to base mostly on resume and details on how candidates will run the city.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users