BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#41 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

Yes of course, but we're talking apples and oranges in that example. Woodframe is much cheaper than concrete, therefore you won't see concrete lowrises unless the target demographic is higher income earners and more expensive units. 200 Douglas is an example of a high-end concrete lowrise. The example we should be looking at is all things being equal, units in a 25-storey tower will be, as a whole, more affordable than units in a 10-storey lowrise. At 25 floors the developer will have the means to offer multople <$200,000 units whereas $220-$240k is the starting point for short concrete towers.

Going back to this property, the developer, CGS Property Group (same developer as 1075 Pandora) will be hosting a public information session soon. The plan is for condos and the property allows for two towers. We'll see what the developer's vision is soon.

Any idea of the date Mike?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Tentatively early January, I believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

Going back to this property, the developer, CGS Property Group (same developer as 1075 Pandora) will be hosting a public information session soon. The plan is for condos and the property allows for two towers. We'll see what the developer's vision is soon.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the plans!

Edit: I hope the plan for Johnson St. is significantly better than what CGS is planning for 1075 Pandora...

Edited by jonny, 03 December 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#44 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

Can't wait to see these plans. So much potential here.

#45 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Tentatively early January, I believe.

Will you be able to inform this forum when the date and time are set Mike K?

• Mike K. likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

The discussion on downtown zoning and urban planning has been moved here. Please continue that discussion in the linked thread. Thank you :)

Will you be able to inform this forum when the date and time are set Mike K?

Yes absolutely.

• Mixed365 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

Any action on this at all?

- Jane Jacobs 

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

I love DiCastri but that building I've never been inside of. I'm dying to get inside. Vertically only, that is.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

A public meeting for this project will be held on March 18th at 6PM at Shatterbox Coffee on Yates Street.
  • Rob Randall likes this

Know it all.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

We can expect two towers up to 17 floors in height with approximately 200 units between them.

With the Alpha tower on the other side of the block proposing 88 units over 17 floors, are we seeing a quick shift in demand for larger, more spacious units in downtown towers? It's no secret that the decline in oil prices and potential for riskier investment in Alberta has spurred some individuals to retire early or fast-track their plans to move to the coast, so is this what we're seeing, the Alberta push coming faster than anticipated?

Know it all.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

If that were the case wouldn't we be seeing action at the Crystal Court, the Roundhouse, and Dockside Green? If I'm looking to retire in a new condo tower I'd much prefer those areas over Harris Green.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

We are. Crystal Court was just purchased by Concert, tower three at Bayview is on the horizon and Dockside will be getting back into the swing of things with a rental project.

Actually I'm flabbergasted by the number of older tenants/retirees living in my girlfriend's downtown condo. Give retirees the right product and they'll buy in Harris Green and downtown (Sovereign, Falls, Aria, Belvedere -- all geared at buyers with money, many/most of whom are older).

Know it all.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

I give your optimistic appraisal a score of 1.5 out of 3. You went a bit too far with the effusive hyperbole re: Dockside Green, so I had to ding you for that.

• Nparker likes this

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

How much was the ding for DG?

Know it all.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

1 full point. Here's the breakdown:

Promontory Jr. = 1.5 point

Crystal Court = 1 point

Dockside Green = -1 point*

*negative score for effusive hyperbole

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

For real? That's a lot. I was trying to be poetic.

Know it all.

#57 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

>>>Crystal Court was just purchased by Concert, tower three at Bayview is on the horizon and Dockside will be getting back into the swing of things with a rental project<<<

Now there is a positive post ...

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

205 units between two towers of 17-storeys and 15-storeys sharing a podium up to the 6th floor. Ground floor commercial along the span of the building.

Approximately 195 underground parking stalls. These photos were taken with a cellphone so the quality isn't the best.

IMAG2875_1.jpg

IMAG2876_1.jpg

IMAG2877_1.jpg

IMAG2879_1.jpg

IMAG2882_1.jpg

Know it all.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

CGS plans to maintain the McCall's building mostly as-is, although they are planning to raise the roof above a portion of the building. The intended use is commercial.

Know it all.

#60 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Took me a few moments to figure out where this was because they added the proposed building where Shatterbox coffee is now.  What's the story on that one BTW?  Maybe the angles aren't the best but the two projects almost seem too close. Is the bulk of the yates tower bordering on the space between these two towers?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users