BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Of course the real issue is that the amateurs and NIMBYs that populate many of the neighbourhood associations wield FAR too much power when it comes to civic decisions that affect the development of the city.

They would never admit it, but the "powers that be" recognize this and weigh opinions accordingly. 

Edited by Holden West, 05 September 2014 - 10:21 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm so ansy to find out who bought.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

We've got a little more info now. It is not the three developers hypothesized earlier.

The developer plans to build a project that meets the new downtown plan guidelines. We'll have more info to share in due course.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

What are the downtown plan guidelines for that area?

#25 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

The funeral building is zoned as a special district and the only permitted use is of a "funeral undertakers' establishments".

http://www.victoria..../Bylaws/7.7.pdf

The parking lot is actually made up of several lots which are zoned R-48. Max height looks like 10 storeys, which is pretty lame.

http://www.victoria....Bylaws/3.67.pdf

Edited by jonny, 05 September 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

^ Those are out of date and don't take into account the new OCP.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

Correct, the new OCP doesn't look unfavourably on height in excess of 10-floors. But that doesn't mean planning will support something like 20 floors.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

^ Those are out of date and don't take into account the new OCP.

Huh. Well those are what's posted on victoria.ca! Glad to hear more height and density is acceptable in this area.

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

An iconic design by John Di Castri

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Going to be hard to find a new use for that building. The best part of the design is the way natural light enters the chapel so you can't just keep the facade either.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

It might possibly work as a restaurant. Otherwise I suppose office space is the most likely use.

#32 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

It's a really cool building but 1.5 stories downtown is just a waste of space.  That's the problem with under-building, you build-in obsolescence.  Might make a cool little museum or gallery or cultural building of some sort but Victoria doesn't have much funding or interest in that sort of thing.  I'd love to see some sort of density transfer from the corner parking lot maybe save the building.  Build some 20 story tower (or how ever big is needed to economically justify keeping the funeral building) on the corner and turn the funeral building into something cool.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#33 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Though it may have some heritage value, I really don't like this building. Too small, to closed. It contributes nothing to the streetscape.

• tedward and jonny like this

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

It sits on a MASSIVE property. The developer may incorporate a portion of the facade, perhaps even an element of the building into some form of podium or groundfloor but I fully expect the property to be redeveloped into something significantly bigger than the hall.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'd like to give you more details about the plan me and VHF have to open H & V's Pizza-torium but it's top secret at the moment.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Not that crazy scheme again.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'd like to give you more details about the plan me and VHF have to open H & V's Pizza-torium but it's top secret at the moment.

I'm dying to hear more......aaaaaahhhgrrreeee 

#38 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

Wow it really is a huge lot.  The rest of the building is so absolutely boring only the corner ever registered.

6aUxdsN.png

Maybe save the pitched-roof corner portion but the rest might as well be a strip mall or warehouse.

Here is a horrible quick copy paste of what the site would look like with 834 Johnson on top with the corner "saved"

H7jg91i.png

Edited by Baro, 10 September 2014 - 08:30 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:03 AM

Density is a bigger factor in that regard. We seem to be encouraging 250 sq ft units in this city over giving developers the freedom to go bigger and higher.

And with each building comes more tax revenue (incentive for the City) while consumers expend more for housing (ie cheaper to build 350 units in one building than 350 in three).

Know it all.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

Yes of course, but we're talking apples and oranges in that example. Woodframe is much cheaper than concrete, therefore you won't see concrete lowrises unless the target demographic is higher income earners and more expensive units. 200 Douglas is an example of a high-end concrete lowrise. The example we should be looking at is all things being equal, units in a 25-storey tower will be, as a whole, more affordable than units in a 10-storey lowrise. At 25 floors the developer will have the means to offer multople <$200,000 units whereas $220-$240k is the starting point for short concrete towers.

Going back to this property, the developer, CGS Property Group (same developer as 1075 Pandora) will be hosting a public information session soon. The plan is for condos and the property allows for two towers. We'll see what the developer's vision is soon.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users