BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#381 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

^^^You like that hole I made in the green mesh? Works great..

Its my personal viewing window glad to see others have found it useful.

#382 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

bring on the carpenters ...

#383 Yung_Urbanist

Yung_Urbanist
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

Anybody knows how pre-sales are doing for this project? 

#384 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

I was curious, so I registered today even though the "starting from" price on the website is beyond what I can afford. The email I got back said that pricing is "by appointment only and for serious offers only" right now. They do say that prices and selection are "excellent," whatever that means.

#385 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Seems like a strange marketing strategy and poor customer service.  Unless they hope to convince you in person that it's such an awesome investment.. 

I'd prefer transparency and convenience.  If I want to buy a car or some even new underwear I don't want to be told to come on in and we'll discuss price, AND I have to make an appointment, AND only if I'm serious will they give me their time.  F them, I'll buy my silk boxers elsewhere then. 

• Nparker and qv like this

#386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

The showroom isn't yet ready, so they haven't started actual full-on sales yet. What they've done is schedule appointments with people who are interested in the homes but who are willing to forego the full buying experience with a show room, detailed information, etc.

With such a hot market I'm not sure if it would have been them worth their time to schedule 400 appointments with only 30 people buying a unit (I'm not saying that's how many have already pre-sold, I'm just throwing a number out there).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#387 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

When the market is this crazy and you are constantly changing pricing to keep in line with the market you probably don't want your price sheets floating around.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#388 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

If it's a hot market wouldn't you want to sell as many units now just in case things cool off before completion? Why limit and restrict access to something you're trying to sell? Compared to say Reenie in Vancouver who goes all in to sell a building out in one day. So maybe Victoria isn't that hot. Why stretch out your marketing costs if you can reduce the time period you're marketing for? And what happens if a new giant homeless shelter gets approved for construction across the street next month? Just think you'd want to reduce risk vs. hoping to cash in a bit more later, which seems to be more of a coin flip than a wise business decision. Said the armchair developer with no skin in the game.

#389 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

What's made the situation a little different is they got their construction started before their sales showroom was finished. But these guys know what they're doing, they're taking it nice and slow until the full sales launch begins.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#390 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

If it's a hot market wouldn't you want to sell as many units now just in case things cool off before completion? Why limit and restrict access to something you're trying to sell? Compared to say Reenie in Vancouver who goes all in to sell a building out in one day. So maybe Victoria isn't that hot. Why stretch out your marketing costs if you can reduce the time period you're marketing for? And what happens if a new giant homeless shelter gets approved for construction across the street next month? Just think you'd want to reduce risk vs. hoping to cash in a bit more later, which seems to be more of a coin flip than a wise business decision. Said the armchair developer with no skin in the game.

You could leave a lot of money on the table with this approach.  Units at the Janion are selling 2x pre-sale pricing.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#391 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

And what happens if a new giant homeless shelter gets approved for construction across the street next month?

Well, they own the property across Johnson, so little danger there.

• jonny likes this

#392 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

You could leave a lot of money on the table with this approach.  Units at the Janion are selling 2x pre-sale pricing.

Plus I seriously doubt getting construction financing is difficult in this market so there's probably less of a need to get 30% pre-sales or whatever to secure financing. With the number of listings falling like a rock and prices rising like a helium filled balloon banks are probably falling over themselves to finance these projects.

#393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

These projects rely on multiple rounds of financing, with banks usually coming in at the last stage with a big chunk of change, but that's when things are already well under way.

Many investment firms will take that intial step and finance the start of construction in this market, at a higher rate, and then other lenders come into play. Even with a market this hot there are still many risks such as escalating construction costs, a major economic change, natural events, etc.

I know some players locally are relying on foreign capital for their projects.

Know it all.

#394 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

February 20th

989-February-20-2017.jpg

Know it all.

#395 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

There's a whole lot more hole to come.

• 2F2R likes this

#396 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

Yeah! It's a massive undertaking, for sure. It's probably smart that 989 has been selling by-appointment and with only a few units moving at a slow pace. The volatile phase that is excavation needs to be handled with precision to avoid an unexpected run on a developer's financing.

Know it all.

#397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

...The volatile phase that is excavation needs to be handled with precision to avoid an unexpected run on a developer's financing.

The slower pace has also allowed for Legato to get well above ground before much excavation takes place adjacent to their development.

• Mike K. likes this

#398 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Latest email suggests the official public launch is March 25th. They also sent me a VIP price list (just a very basic price range per unit type, no specific prices), and the mythical "starting at 289k" condos are nowhere to be seen. Based on the price list, it looks like $700/sq foot for the smallest units and somewhere between 600-650$/sq foot for the larger units.

#399 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

Excavateing on the Vancouver Street side now with a divider in-between ???

Edited by 2F2R, 17 March 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#400 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

989's pubic unveiling is scheduled for this Saturday, March 25th.

989-sales-centre-launch-March-25th.jpg

Artist's rendering of 989, a two-tower, 206-unit highrise condominium development rising on Johnson Street at Vancouver Street. The project's highly anticipated sales launch is scheduled for this weekend.

Two-tower 989 condo dev's public unveiling scheduled for March 25th

http://victoria.citi...for-march-25th/

The unveiling of Cox Development’s highly anticipated sales centre for its two-tower 989 condominium project has been scheduled for March 25th, Citified has learned.

Situated in the 900-block of Johnson Street immediately across the street from 989’s expansive construction site, the development’s first reveal to the general public, says developer Dan Cox, will present the pre-sale home buying experience through a different lens.

“We’ve taken every extra step to make the home buying experience at 989 more immersive and engaging than what local buyers may be accustomed to,” Cox said, speaking to the level of detail that went into the design and execution of the full-display sales centre, and its nod to the world of high-tech with the introduction of a virtual reality home buying experience. [Full article]

• Nparker and Myles like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users