BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#801 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

Pics or there isn't more to go.

#802 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:41 PM

Maybe that's why so many developments use the familiar grey or green spandrel? Because spandrel warehouses are full of that stuff? Oh, sure, we could get you something different. But it will take time...

#803 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

Note to all the spandrel suppliers who lurk on this board: I'm just kidding around. No offense. Please don't spandrel my house in retaliation.

• Rob Randall likes this

#804 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Pics or there isn't more to go.

Lol.. like that would make me post a picture.

#805 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

Oh, hey, look what I stumbled across.  A picture from August 9th.  I wonder what it's of, let me just hold the negative up to the light here.. oh, it's of those new buildings on Johnson!

Look at all those temporary panels, and still some on the shorter building! What's up with that?  What a weird way to build.  I saw how they installed the glass after the fact - very laborious procedure involving a window washing type platform.  

48525014371_a03f44c29e_h.jpgFriday August 9th by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

#806 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

overheard something about a couple units on the finishes

the walls, floors, ceilings, cabinetry and fixtures are not done right at the first time and a lot of coverups and not done correctly either.

#807 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:49 AM

overheard something about a couple units on the finishes

the walls, floors, ceilings, cabinetry and fixtures are not done right at the first time and a lot of coverups and not done correctly either.

That would seem to be a fairly comprehensive list of errors.

If the "walls" are not done right the first time, does that mean that the drywall wasn't hung correctly?  In terms of ceilings: was there a type of finishing that was promised to the buyers that didn't get applied correctly?    Were the kitchen and washroom cabinets somehow installed incorrectly? 

Maybe the reports of errors are just hearsay/rumour... ?

#808 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:54 AM

Yes, it can be difficult to judge the finishings based on hearsay. Some purchasers are so particular, so demanding that something 95% of purchasers wouldn't even notice or care to have corrected, they'll be quite upset over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#809 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

finishings should have standards in my opinion. 

Good luck with the 5%~

#810 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

Oh I’m sure there’s a finishing touch-up in just about every condo suite of every building, but some folks are over the top and expect total perfection or find issue with the smallest things.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#811 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

A bit bizarre how they have finished the sidewalk along Vancouver here. A single-wide sidewalk that now doesn't align at all with the recently re-done double wide sidewalk beside Atlas Video. The 989 renderings showed a much larger sidewalk that would have married up nicely with the existing section. Did we really need such a significant lawn out front here? It's a tenters paradise.

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5715.JPG

Edited by shoeflack, 19 August 2019 - 07:59 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#812 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

Perhaps this was something requested by the city, given the increase in dog ownership among downtown residents?

Know it all.

#813 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

A bit bizarre how they have finished the sidewalk along Vancouver here. A single-wide sidewalk that now doesn't align at all with the recently re-done double wide sidewalk beside Atlas Video. ...

I found this rather odd myself, especially considering how poorly the CoV maintains its grassy boulevards.

#814 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

Thought that was really strange as well.

#815 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

Yeah

Know it all.

#816 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

Perhaps this was something requested by the city, given the increase in dog ownership among downtown residents?

As a downtown dog owner, I get just as much use out of a thin strip of grass like what's beside Atlas as I do out of a wide strip like outside 989. And honestly, when I find needles and whatnot on grass, it's on these larger patches where people have the space to lay about, so I tend to avoid them anyways. If the City really wanted to do something for downtown dog owners, they'd fence in a small part of Harris Green Park and turn it into a dog park...there's plenty of space that's otherwise only being used by tenters.

Definitely disappointing to see such a narrow sidewalk at what will become a very busy corner. Heck, this sidewalk is narrower than the one that previously existed in it's place!

#817 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

I'm sure it'll be fine. That's not a busy thoroughfare and likely won't pose much of an issue. The trees appreciate more exposed soil, I'm sure. Maybe that's what this is all about? Providing more surface area for trees?

Know it all.

#818 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, it's just bad design, no matter how one tries to spin it.

• shoeflack likes this

#819 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

I live half a block from this intersection. It's an extremely busy thoroughfare, and it's only getting busier. 989 residents haven't even moved in yet, not to mention the developments proposed across the street and on the SDA lot, and the increased traffic I'm already starting to see taking advantage of Save-On. Harris Green is rapidly densifying and adding significant foot traffic to the sidewalks in the area.

This is a lovely building and I'm thrilled to have it join the neighborhood, but this is definitely an oversight on whomever gave it the green light. Would love to hear the rationale.

Edited by shoeflack, 19 August 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#820 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

Heck, this sidewalk is narrower than the one that previously existed in it's place!

Narrow new sidewalks are always very perplexing, whether downtown or in the neighbourhoods. In this case the lawn would still be very wide even if the sidewalk was a full meter wider than they've made it. Sometimes I really do wonder if the city tries to counterbalance good things with offsetting dysfunction.

post-3218-0-97932300-1566230203.jpg

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users