BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#821 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Extremely busy? Let's not go overboard now.

It'll be fine. It's not hard to expand the sidewalk if it's warranted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#822 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

Yup, take a stroll up Vancouver between Fort and Pandora sometime, Mike. I do it about 8-10 times a day at all hours and there's always pedestrian traffic. Harris Green is heavy residential and it shows on the sidewalks.

I know you get your bread and butter from pumping developers' tires, Mike, but this one is just poor planning. It's ok to critique an otherwise great project.

#823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

Oh c'mon, shoe, that's kinda weak.

There's hardly a soul in your photos, is all I'm saying. Across the street the sidewalk is exactly the same width. It's not a big deal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#824 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

Perhaps this was something requested by the city, given the increase in dog ownership among downtown residents?

This is a lovely building and I'm thrilled to have it join the neighborhood, but this is definitely an oversight on whomever gave it the green light. Would love to hear the rationale.

CoV Engineering and/or Transportation Department/s would be my guess. Developer would have almost zero say in what the City-owned sidewalk and boulevard looks like, they'd just be on the hook to build it as part of their BP (hopefully... I'm speaking from my development experience in CoRichmond).

I agree that the rationale is probably to encourage larger tree growth, since Vancouver is destined to be a traffic calmed street.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#825 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

Across the street the sidewalk is exactly the same width. It's not a big deal.

And there's a reason why there's a desire path in the boulevard, as well as footprints in the mulch bed between the sidewalk and parking lot.

The sidewalk on that side of the street is a prime example of why this one should have been wider. Just my opinion as someone who lives in the area and uses those sidewalks daily. Again, whoever made the decision here to stick with a narrow sidewalk, be it the City of the developer, made a bad call. Simply put.

• Nparker likes this

#826 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

...Again, whoever made the decision here to stick with a narrow sidewalk, be it the City of the developer, made a bad call. Simply put.

I would better be able to accept the "logic" of this design if the CoV itself, barely a year ago, hadn't re-built the wider sidewalk and narrower boulevard on the SW portion of this block. Of course when it comes to pretty much anything to do with the Vancouver Street corridor, logic is not on the city's agenda.

That wide section of grass adjacent to 989 is going to have a "desire path" trampled into it within a year.

• shoeflack likes this

#827 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

...the rationale is probably to encourage larger tree growth, since Vancouver is destined to be a traffic calmed street.

Sounds about right. The calmest downtown street is targeted for traffic calming, many of the street's existing mature trees have earned the Victoria chop, narrow sidewalks are being awkwardly introduced in order to facilitate new trees, and the new trees will (hopefully) lend the street some calm.

Now every Victorian just needs to conveniently forget how we all extolled and enjoyed the inherent calmness of Vancouver Street for decades prior to today.

Even if we accept the contradictory premises of this mission, how the heck could wide (or even normal-width) sidewalks not be an essential ingredient of the calming blend? Shouldn't pedestrians be consideration #1 in any legitimate crusade to calm an area? Or are we saying the pedestrian traffic was so intense along there that it also needed to be calmed?

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

#828 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

This is terrible. I expect this was a mistake.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#829 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:55 PM

I assume the point is to have it match up with the extra-wide boulevards just south of here. And at some point the Atlas property will be redeveloped. But in the meantime it's an awkward transition. The concrete planter abutting the sidewalk means it's a real pinch point. 

#830 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Ugh. The city has to stop doing this. Just take a walk on Caledonia and see how well having future developments match a preferred design esthetic works. The 900 block has been a mess for more than a decade.

Sidewalks should always be designed for current use.

It has a whole new look!

#831 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

Also if that were the plan then the new sidewalk should be better than the one beside Atlas but the new one restricts pedestrians to 1960s suburban sidewalk width. This is actually beyond terrible.
  • Nparker and DougG like this

It has a whole new look!

#832 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:45 AM

But you’ve got 2019 separation from cars, plus healthier trees.

Know it all.

#833 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

I expect this was a mistake.

Every time the city botches a sidewalk it's a mistake. Do my eyes deceive me or do the renderings for this project show a proper sidewalk all the way along on that side?

farmer-construction-victoria-989-johnson

• Nparker likes this

#834 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,662 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

...plus healthier trees.

So why didn't the CoV insist on a wide grassy boulevard along Johnson Street so the newly planted trees could be healthier there? Or if it's a "Vancouver Street thing", why didn't Bosa have to create a wide grassy boulevard adjacent to its new development along Vancouver Street barely 2 blocks north?

#835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

You’ll want to ask the City why.

Know it all.

#836 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Every time the city botches a sidewalk it's a mistake. Do my eyes deceive me or do the renderings for this project show a proper sidewalk all the way along on that side?

Never go off of the renderings, they aren't approved drawings and even if they were the number of post-DP revisions at Building Permit stage can be significant. If CoV does things the same way as CoRichmond, then off-site works are designed at the BP stage based on City specifications. The current standard for Vancouver is 1.5 m sidewalk, based on the City's road classification system and the development servicing bylaw. The City can always ask for more, but 1.5 m should be the minimum.

#837 IPH

IPH
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

If CoV does things the same way as CoRichmond, then off-site works are designed at the BP stage based on City specifications.

yes, City of Victoria does this the same way.
  • Jackerbie likes this

#838 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:15 AM

Completion notices have been sent out for lower floors starting Sept 23rd, 2019.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#839 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

there is going to be, at least 10 units, listed soon... same realtor and a group- buy from foreign buyers now trying to dump them...

#840 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Dump them for significantly more than they paid, or for only slightly more?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users