BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Not sure if this is downtown, or Harris Green, or whatever...

The McCalls reception centre is sold, along with the parking lot across the street.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

Sad, in a way because I believe this is one of the last John Di Castri designs still in its original unmodified condition. And McCall's has always kept the property properly maintained. 

On the other hand, this unique building could be revitalized with a more public tenant. What I fear is that someone will buy it and turn it into a cut rate auto body shop and the whole property will turn to crap.

Their huge parking lot across the street is some prime real estate.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

Sad, in a way because I believe this is one of the last John Di Castri designs still in its original unmodified condition. And McCall's has always kept the property properly maintained. 

On the other hand, this unique building could be revitalized with a more public tenant. What I fear is that someone will buy it and turn it into a cut rate auto body shop and the whole property will turn to crap.

Their huge parking lot across the street is some prime real estate.

The small blurb in today's TC says the new owner will keep the building.  Maybe as the sales centre for the condo lol.

Next to the hospital(s) it has probably had more dead bodies through it of any building in town, it's been there in one form or another since 1929 or something.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

Any more details on the sale?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

Any more details on the sale?

Buyer not disclosed.  McCall's has 18 to 24 months to move (to Falaise).

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Press release:

Victoria landmark moves on after 93 years of business
September 5, 2014, Victoria, B.C. - One of Victoria’s most familiar locations to say farewell to loved ones is making changes. McCall Bros. Funeral Home, located at Johnson and Vancouver Streets since 1921, is relocating its full services to its Sequoia Gardens location in Royal Oak.

“It makes the best business sense for us to streamline our resources and energy into one main location that we can expand upon and enhance our services over time,” said David McCall, president and chief executive officer, McCall Bros.  “Our Royal Oak location is co-located at Royal Oak Burial Park and has the room we need to expand over time.”

The well known Sequoia Gardens will undergo an extensive renovation and expansion to accommodate funeral services and celebrations of life for a large number of guests in a tranquil setting with easy and ample parking. 
McCall Bros. will maintain an office where arrangements can be made in a new location in the downtown area after the transition takes place.

Over the past year, the firm researched the community utilizing focus groups and by surveying more than 400 Victorians. Through this process they learned that people prefer to hold services in an uplifting, modern facility, connected to nature and the outdoors – precisely what Sequoia Gardens at Royal Oak offers.

“What we’ve learned in our years of business is that a funeral is as personal as the family that holds it,” said Trevor McCall, funeral director. “Our new design at Sequoia Gardens will appeal to people who want informal gatherings, celebrations of life, and to those who want traditional funeral services. It will have the ability to be converted into a restaurant-like setting or church-like setting.”

This transition will take place over the next 13 – 18 months. In the meantime, both the downtown and Sequoia Gardens locations will remain open for business and McCall Bros. will continue to offer exceptional service to the families they serve.

“All existing preplanned arrangements will be honoured and guaranteed,” said David McCall stressing that the redesigned Sequoia Gardens will conveniently accommodate small or large gatherings.

David’s son, Trevor McCall, and nephew, Craig McCall Williams represent the fourth generation of the family business and will assume leadership of the company in the near future.

Quick Facts and History of McCall Bros. Funeral Services

-       The company performs more than 800 funeral services per year.

-       McCall Bros. was founded by brothers David McCall (Sr.) and James McCall in 1921 and was taken over by David’s sons Torrey and Graham McCall in the late 1940s. Presently, Graham’s son David McCall is president and chief executive officer of the company. David’s son Trevor McCall and nephew Craig McCall Williams will be taking over the leadership in the coming years.

-       The company employs thirteen full-time and ten part-time staff.

-       Modern architect John Di Castri, who designed buildings at the University of Victoria and Centennial Square, designed the downtown location of McCall Bros. in 1961and Sequoia Gardens in 1998.

-       Peter de Hoog, Architect, is designing the renovation and expansion of Sequoia Gardens.

* Note to media, architectural rendering of expansion at Sequoia Garden available.

-30-

Media Contact:

Trisha Lees
Rep Lab Communications
250-857-5655
trisha@replab.ca

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

Could be Chard. They always seem to have a couple of future development properties in their portfolio.

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Makes complete sense to consolidate into the existing operation in Royal Oak; wondered about Sequoia Gardens when we were dealing with McCall's two years ago as it certainly has the space to expand. First rate firm which sadly anyone dealing with does so presumably due to the loss of a loved one. They are extremely professional, caring and helpful. I wish them well in the new location. I'm sure developers have been salivating for years at the thought of the potential in that parking lot so it will be interesting to see who purchases it and what ultimately becomes of the site.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yeah huge potential there with both lots downtown that they own.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

More potential shoppers for the new grocery store at the North Park site.

• Nparker likes this

It has a whole new look!

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

We've received confirmation that the purchaser plans to redevelop the parking lot as a condo project.

Both Bosa Properties and Lefevre have confirmed during recent conversations that they are in the game with an additional property but have to remain tight-lipped. It could be either of them. Chard would also be a contender, for sure!

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

Bosa would be a good bet with their current project nearby.

It has a whole new look!

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Bosa would be a good bet with their current project nearby.

Doesn't Bosa already have Promontory Jr that they are holding back on?

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

We've received confirmation that the purchaser plans to redevelop the parking lot as a condo project.

Let's hope the proposal is for at least mid-rise towers. This is a VERY good spot for some real density.

• jonny and Mr Cook Street like this

#15 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Downtown 20+ stories!

• Nparker and jonny like this

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Doesn't Bosa already have Promontory Jr that they are holding back on?

That is a totally different market than downtown. 

• jonny likes this

It has a whole new look!

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

North Park NA will be consulted because of the proximity but this is safely within the Downtown borders so no crazy Castana-like opposition will happen. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

North Park NA will be consulted because of the proximity but this is safely within the Downtown borders so no crazy Castana-like opposition will happen. 

The NPNA has no business speaking about this project. Their lunacy cannot be allowed to spread - and I say this as a resident of North Park.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

Well, dem's da rules, just like Downtown has a say in the Legislative project and Crystal Court.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Of course the real issue is that the amateurs and NIMBYs that populate many of the neighbourhood associations wield FAR too much power when it comes to civic decisions that affect the development of the city.

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users