• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

http://www.cheknews....t-mayoral-race/

Former Victoria Deputy Police Chief, John Ducker, has called a media conference for two o’clock this afternoon where he is expected to announce that he is entering the race to become Esquimalt’s next mayor. Ducker is running against incumbent Barb Desjardins. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Some interesting history between Ducker and Desjardins.

http://focusonline.ca/?q=node%2F610

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

This will make any debate interesting (if there is a debate scheduled). Otherwise this is probably a bad year for someone strongly associated with Victoria to win in Esquimalt, Especially with the good year Barb's had politically. I imagine Barb has pretty strong support across the spectrum, as she probably appeals to traditional "less gov't spending" conservatives.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

This will make any debate interesting (if there is a debate scheduled). Otherwise this is probably a bad year for someone strongly associated with Victoria to win in Esquimalt, Especially with the good year Barb's had politically. I imagine Barb has pretty strong support across the spectrum, as she probably appeals to traditional "less gov't spending" conservatives.

We encounter her regularly on the Selkirk trail when walking our dog; she has a very high public recognition factor, is routinely engaged by trail and park users on all manner of subjects and appears to be extremely popular with the general voting populace from what I can see. I would not want to be running against her right now.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

I imagine Barb has pretty strong support across the spectrum, as she probably appeals to traditional "less gov't spending" conservatives.

Is there a lot of those in Esq?  I'm thinking Esq is as NDP as Fernwood.

Former Victoria deputy police chief John Ducker will announce this afternoon that he’s running for mayor of Esquimalt.

Ducker sent an email to his former Victoria police colleagues saying while he initially planned to run for a seat on council, he has decided to challenge incumbent Barb Desjardins for her seat.

Ducker, 55, will make the announcement at 2 p.m. at the corner of Esquimalt Road and Park Place.

Ducker retired from Victoria police in August 2013 after 34 years in policing. When he announced his retirement, Ducker told the Times Colonist he considered applying for the chief’s job to replace Jamie Graham but decided it was his time to move on to a new challenge.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.J9XWgHs9.dpuf

What if Ducker is almost the opposite of her on sewage.  I mean, Esq. had an offer of a no-cost sewage system, and instead is exploring a costly one right in downtown Esq. 

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Is there a lot of those in Esq?  I'm thinking Esq is as NDP as Fernwood.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.J9XWgHs9.dpuf

What if Ducker is almost the opposite of her on sewage.  I mean, Esq. had an offer of a no-cost sewage system, and instead is exploring a costly one right in downtown Esq. 

I think that Drucker's only chance at winning is if he campaigns on taking the CRD money for sewage treatment and then relying on that support. I don't think that he can beat Barb without a major issue like that to rely on.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

I think that Drucker's only chance at winning is if he campaigns on taking the CRD money for sewage treatment and then relying on that support. I don't think that he can beat Barb without a major issue like that to rely on.

Yes, he could use that as well as a strong law-and-order approach.  ie. "I'm going to make crime rates in Esquimalt the lowest in the entire region, lower than Oak Bay" etc.  Not doable with the demographics, but you can sell that message.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Considering Esquimalt has the same crime as everywhere else won't Ducker look a little foolish coming out with a tough-on-crime agenda?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Considering Esquimalt has the same crime as everywhere else won't Ducker look a little foolish coming out with a tough-on-crime agenda?

Huh?  It's the highest of similar-sized munis (Oak Bay, Sidney etc.).

I think the approach can work.  Who's tougher on crime than an ex-cop?

#10 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

A Barber who figured out how to make a website 

• Mixed365 likes this

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

A Barber who figured out how to make a website 

http://www.mayorofes....com/index.html

• John M. likes this

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

"I have a record of actually getting things done and I think you would agree with me that my record and my career with taking diverse groups of people, working together with them and producing outcomes.  And I think what is not happening here right now is outcomes are not being produced.

On sewage treatment, Ducker says all options should be examined except a plant in the town centre, and he says Esquimalt residents should have the opportunity of voting on amalgamation this fall.

http://www.cfax1070....-for-mayor-of-E

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Huh?  It's the highest of similar-sized munis (Oak Bay, Sidney etc.).

Taking an urban area and saying it has more crime than a bedroom enclave doesn't make the former a high crime rate area.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

What a screed...reads like a semi-literate leaflet from "Ford Nation". I wonder what "crystal methadone" is?

Another Ayn Rand acolyte. Joy.

I will follow the Desjardins/Ducker scrap though. Barb can be a bit of a rageaholic, I remember her slamming down the phone during a CFAX interview about the policing issue. As for Ducker, I believe he is the last remaining exemplar of the classic "Cop 'stache".

• Nparker likes this

#15 ScottA

ScottA
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

The barber, Scott Attrill wants to remove the building restrictions and allow 25 storey buildings to be built in area's of Esquimalt that will provide coast line views and by developing the land, removing old run down housing, will also remove the 2% of the population that uses 90% of the emergency services. And in doing so, removing to old reputation that Esquimalt has had for too long.  Its a beautiful area with world class coast line views that need to be developed, sold and celebrated.  

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Which areas of Esquimalt's coastline are not already developed?

Know it all.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

Esquimalt election candidates as of 3:30pm today

Mayor: 

Scott Attrill 
Barb Desjardins 
John Ducker 
David Shebib 

Council:

Meagan Brame 
Beth Burton-Krahn 
Lynda Hundleby 
Rod Lavergne 
Olga Liberchuk 
Susan Low 
Bob McKie 
Tim Morrison 
Brenda O'Connor 
Mark Salter 
David Schinbein 
Josh Steffler

#18 wetcoastace

wetcoastace
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

It's just my opinion but as far as I'm concerned Ducker looked a little foolish right out of the chute suggesting that he was running to fill a  "leadership vacuum" in Esquimalt.  Running  against a highly popular incumbent with the highest profile sout of the Malahat for hands on leadership in the interests of her electorate?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

It's just my opinion but as far as I'm concerned Ducker looked a little foolish right out of the chute suggesting that he was running to fill a  "leadership vacuum" in Esquimalt.  Running  against a highly popular incumbent with the highest profile sout of the Malahat for hands on leadership in the interests of her electorate?

Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose he'd been rehearsing his lines months before the sewage issue came to a head and Esquimalt stuck it to the CRD.

Know it all.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

Ducker was well respected for his leadership with VPD, I wouldn't rule him out.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users