Saanich

• Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Richard Atwell is running for mayor in Saanich.

Here's a press release regarding the amalgamation issue as released by the Atwell campaign.

http://richardatwell...ressRelease.pdf

Saanich, BC ­ Saanich mayoral candidate Richard Atwell is committed to more research on the
amalgamation of municipalities within the Capital Region District.

Many residents are calling for a non­binding referendum question to be included on the Saanich
municipal ballot in November. So far, six municipalities are giving their residents the opportunity
to vote on this matter.

"The Leonard proposal coming to Monday night's council meeting offers residents a confusing
and evasive question when 77% of Saanich residents polled by Angus Reid Global last July
wanted an amalgamation question on the ballot", said Atwell.

"This 11th hour “Hail Mary” from Mayor Frank Leonard amounts to little more than a referendum
asking Saanich residents if they wish to be engaged. His proposal will directly cost the Saanich
taxpayer when other municipalities plan to rely upon provincial support and funding available
under the current legislation", said Atwell.

"The bottom line is that Mayor Frank Leonard has been around since 1986, paying little or no
interest to the concerns of Saanich residents. With an election looming, he's suddenly had an
epiphany regarding his last 18 years of governance and has only now decided that residents

need an opportunity to weigh­in. From what I've been hearing, the public isn't buying into this last
minute move which reeks of desperation. Clearly, it’s time for change", said Atwell.

"In order to improve our overall regional governance structure, we need the full set of information
that only unbiased studies can provide. Clearly the existing structure that Mayor Frank Leonard
has been comfortable with for the past 18 years, isn't working for the taxpayer", said Atwell.

"If I am elected Mayor, I will work with neighbouring municipalities to obtain the provincial funding
and support that is available under the current legislation. I will commit to being part of that
process of cooperation and improvement", said Atwell.

Information from a provincial study will give future councils throughout the CRD a solid basis
upon which to better deliver services.
Notice:

Richard Atwell will be in attendance at Saanich Council on Mon Oct 6th at 7:30pm at Saanich
Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Avenue.

• David Bratzer likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

First a disclaimer. I have never been to Richard's house for dinner, and I do not volunteer on his campaign. I have emailed him three times in the past asking for information on the sewage debacle and confirming what you will read below.

I am however, deeply disturbed by a recent article in a local newspaper that attempted to shed light on a contentious issue in Saanich that has been handled poorly (in my opinion) by the current mayor and council, and that is the Alberg Farm subdivision application.

The author(s) of that article stated that Richard "could not be reached for comment."

Bullshit............. (This byproduct is also a major part of the issue)

Richard was contacted on his cellphone just as he was about to give a radio interview. The authors never gave him a chance to chime in on the topic, instead, they made it look like he was not approachable and all of the ink was spent on the incumbent mayor.

This style of reporting is unacceptable during an election campaign. Front page news that dotes on one candidate while ignoring another candidate that would likely oppose and upset the "old boy's club's" status quo.......is media manipulation at it's finest.

If you would like to hear Richard Atwell's stand on this topic, here it is.

http://richardatwell...14/?page_id=291

• Jill and David Bratzer like this

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm aware of the cattle lot issue but a little fuzzy on the details.

“As Mayor I will support the rezoning of this property to help put an end to this ridiculous and ultimately avoidable situation. We must remedy this situation” – Richard Atwell, Candidate for Mayor of Saanich

Legally speaking, can the land be rezoned if it is still in the ALR?  If so, Saanich might not be able to rezone it, but they should at least commit to rezoning should the land be released from the ALR by the province.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

This is a hot issue in Saanich and the opponent should be given an opportunity for feedback.

Do we know how long it was between the time Atwell was called and the time he responded?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

The Atwell team has released a press release relating to Leonard's conflict of interest at the CRD.

http://richardatwell...aseforMedia.pdf

Know it all.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

At the Prospect Lake District Community Association (PLDCA) All Candidates

Debate last night (Oct 23rd), Mayor Frank Leonard stated, “I didn’t go on the sewage committee

because I never wanted to be in a conflict of interest and sure enough my son’s engineering firm

is in the winning bid”.

Okay, so Leonard is up front in this statement, and just because he has been on the sewage committee before,

I don't think it makes it a conflict if his son was not with the engineering firm at that time, or was he. 

Where is that information?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Major news release from the Atwell campaign.

Subject: Mayor Frank Leonard Sewage Committee Attendance Excuse Failing Saanich Residents and Demands Accountability

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct 25, 2014

http://richardatwell...aseforMedia.pdf

Mayor Frank Leonard Sewage Committee Attendance
Excuse Failing Saanich Residents and Demands Accountability

Saanich, BC - Mayor Frank Leonard appeared on radio on Friday Oct 24th to explain his absence from 102 missed CRD sewage committee meetings after it was raised by Leonard himself during debate and recorded in a video released by the Richard Atwell for Saanich Mayor Campaign.

“Even after his explanation, the public is left confused and wondering why Leonard arbitrarily chose to miss 102 sewage committee meetings but then showed up to vote on the very same sewage agenda items at the CRD Board meeting on the very same day”, said Richard Atwell Candidate for Mayor of Saanich.

“Despite his own reasoning, Leonard has attended the majority of CRD Board meetings over the past 5 years and has voted many times for the failed sewage project which contradicts his own claim that he skipped meetings to avoid any perception of conflict of interest”, said Richard Atwell Candidate for Mayor of Saanich.

The “Leonard Rule” to remove himself from only the lesser of the two meetings, defies logic and appears to be a law unto himself not backed by the Local Government Act or Community Charter.

Normal practice for CRD Directors like Frank Leonard involving conflict of interest is to declare any conflict of interest ahead of any vote that may benefit a director directly or indirectly and to recuse themselves for the duration of that agenda item only.

This is exemplified by the September 11, 2013 minutes where Director Leonard, recused himself for 3 minutes for the duration of vote and then returned to the meeting:

https://www.crd.bc.c...sM.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Mayor Frank Leonard has invented a unique set of rules for himself to avoid showing up to 102 sewage committee meetings in the past 5 years and has sent along Saanich Councillor Vicki Sanders in his place on a regular basis, who Saanich electors did not vote to send to the CRD as one of Saanich’s five CRD representatives.

Leonard’s excuse that “he excuses himself from board meetings anytime a potential conflict arises” is no excuse for missing the vast (102) majority of meetings where no conflict existed. It is Leonard’s job as Mayor of Saanich to represent Saanich taxpayers at every opportunity especially given that the sewage project to date has cost Saanich taxpayers approximately $16 million in unrecoverable losses.

Understanding CRD Committee Structure:

CRD has a number of standing committees which make recommendations to the CRD Board.

Core Area Liquid Waste Management is one such committee, which normally convenes at 9 or 9:30am on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.

Following this meeting, the CRD Board convenes at 1:30pm on the same day to cast the official votes on agenda items recommended by all standing committees, including Core Area Liquid Waste.

While Leonard has missed the morning meetings to avoid the perception of conflict in his
opinion, he has continued to show up on the very same days at 1:30pm for the CRD Board meeting where the critical and official votes took place AND where Leonard voted multiple times, including on the sewage project.

Leonard, by skipping these 102 meetings, missed all of the important morning discussion and debate and all of the public commentary and public concern and voted at the afternoon CRD Board meeting in the ABSENCE of this information.

Issues:

1. Leonard has avoided sitting and voting at the Core Area Liquid Waste Management Committee (CALWMC) which is only a standing committee that recommends actions for the CRD Board to take. Leonard has continually shown up for the official vote at the CRD Board on the same day and has voted on the majority of occasions involving sewage project decisions.

2. All sewage project procurement is being done by Seaterra Commission which is an arms-length body which insulates CRD Directors from conflict of interest having to do with the Seaterra project.

Even though the Seaterra Commission was established March 2013, Leonard continued to miss 22 out of 23 sewage committee meetings while he showed up at the CRD Board and voted on the very same sewage related items that were discussed at the sewage committee.

3. Leonard states that he told his colleagues that as a Trustee of the Municipal Pension Plan which has invested in Corix, a potential conflict of interest could exist. However, the arms-length Seaterra Commission that shortlists proponents and awards contracts on behalf of the CRD, insulates all Directors including Leonard and has not awarded any contracts to Corix to date.

4. Leonard is officially listed as an appointee of the sewage committee:

https://crd.bc.ca/ab...ement-committee

Leonard has not stepped down from this committee in any capacity. He has simply not shown up for meetings on 102 occasions yet he attend the Nov 28, 2013 meeting of the committee…

https://crd.bc.ca/ab...mittee/20131113

...raising the issue, what rule does Mayor Frank Leonard apply to determine when he should attend? Is Leonard simply selectively choosing which meetings to attend where no conflict exists and has no basis in law?

Leonard in the past 5 years has continued to show up at the 1:30pm CRD Board meeting to vote on numerous sewage committee recommendations. This fact is incongruous with Leonard’s own statements that he need to steer clear of any sewage related voting matters at CRD and is well documented in the official CRD Board meeting minutes.

5. On May 14, 2013 Leonard voted to increase the Seaterra budget by $5,221,200 at the CRD Board meeting but skipped the morning sewage committee meeting where the important discussion with staff took place.

Why isn’t Leonard attending both the sewage committee meeting and the CRD Board meetings to acquire the fulsome breadth of information that would be available to him ahead of this decision making? Leonard appears to have asked no questions of CRD Staff in the past 5 years.

6. Leonard’s claim in the Oct 22nd PLDCA video that his son’s engineering firm was in the “winning bid” is contradicted by his recent radio appearance stating to the effect that Worley Parsons is not involved in the winning Harbour Resources Partners bid on the now abandoned McLoughlin Plant.

7. Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen who has stated on the record that he accepts Mayor Frank Leonard’s explanation, has himself only attend 6 of the last 35 sewage committee meetings.

Video Footage:

Oct 22 Video from PLDCA Debate with Leonard’s “conflict of interest” statement:

http://youtu.be/hQtWKvjFe0c

Nov 28, 2013 Core Area Liquid Waste Management Committee Minutes showing Leonard in attendance:

https://crd.bc.ca/ab...mittee/20131113

May 14, 2013 CRD Board Meeting where Seaterra Budget was increased by $5,221,200 with Leonard in attendance and recording Leonard’s vote:

https://www.crd.bc.c...tboard/20140514

- 30 -

Media Contacts

Richard Atwell, Candidate for Mayor of Saanich
richard@RichardAtwell.com
250-415-6782 cell – 250-477-9707 home

Know it all.

#8 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

Does anyone know the mayor's schedule? Ie. What is Frank Leonard actually doing on the second Wednesday morning of every month?  That might give a better explanation of why he was absent from the 102 sewage committee meetings.

#9 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

I have trouble seeing this sort of thing being a successful campaign strategy for Attwell.  Didn't he watch House of Cards?  You leak this sort of thing to the media and let them run w/ it, and then you righteously comment on it.  If the media doesn't run with it, well, I guess none cares

#10 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have trouble seeing this sort of thing being a successful campaign strategy for Attwell.  Didn't he watch House of Cards?  You leak this sort of thing to the media and let them run w/ it, and then you righteously comment on it.  If the media doesn't run with it, well, I guess none cares

If the local media doesn't run something it has more to do with self preservation than not caring. The mainstream press has nothing to gain by upsetting an entrenched politician who has a good chance of getting re-elected.

#11 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'm glad it's out there. Now any voter can read it. Also, another poster looked at the coverage of the Saanich race and felt it appeared that at least one major media outlet was biased in favour of Frank Leonard. If that is the case, then your House of Cards strategy would't necessarily work.

The Atwell campaign is actively challenging Frank Leonard's record. This kind of debate is healthy for democracy in Saanich.

• Nparker likes this

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have trouble seeing this sort of thing being a successful campaign strategy for Attwell.

I agree.

#13 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

The Atwell campaign is actively challenging Frank Leonard's record. This kind of debate is healthy for democracy in Saanich.

I think it's not only healthy, it's necessary.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm aware of the cattle lot issue but a little fuzzy on the details.

“As Mayor I will support the rezoning of this property to help put an end to this ridiculous and ultimately avoidable situation. We must remedy this situation” – Richard Atwell, Candidate for Mayor of Saanich

Legally speaking, can the land be rezoned if it is still in the ALR?  If so, Saanich might not be able to rezone it, but they should at least commit to rezoning should the land be released from the ALR by the province.

The property in question

IMG_5906.jpg

#15 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Atwell has some info on this here.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

The property in question

IMG_5906.jpg

Alberg Family Farm: We want to develop, but are forced into raising cows

Mason Street Collective: We want to farm, food security is important to the community.  No development!

The solution is simple - move the cows to Mason Street. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:10 AM

Alberg Family Farm: We want to develop, but are forced into raising cows

Mason Street Collective: We want to farm, food security is important to the community.  No development!

The solution is simple - move the cows to Mason Street. 

HAHAHA 

Now that would make a good platform for a mayor. A pro-amalgamation mayor that is  :rtfm:

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#18 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

Focus has done a profile of the mayoral challengers in the City of Victoria, Oak Bay and Saanich elections. You can find our story on Richard Atwell here: http://focusonline.ca/?q=node/788

David Broadland

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:54 PM

Would he carry on Leonard’s legendary practice of handling all communications between Saanich and the public himself? Atwell says the legend isn’t quite true: “If he likes you, you get a response. If he doesn’t, you don’t.” Atwell described going to see the mayor. He asked Leonard, “Why aren’t you coming to the CRD sewage committee meetings?” Leonard responded, “I’m too busy.” Atwell says that, if he was elected mayor, he would continue personal access but “would probably put a communications office in place.”

That's an interesting counter to those candidates in the City of Victoria that are centering their campaign on the promise to dismantle City Hall's communications office.

#20 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

That's an interesting counter to those candidates in the City of Victoria that are centering their campaign on the promise to dismantle City Hall's communications office.

There is a big difference between having one or two media folks and having an entire department of 8 or 9 people.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)