Photo

Noodle Box locations in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

That's great Mike! I will try that recipe.
Now figure out how to make a duplicate of the box will ya?

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:42 AM

[url=http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/takeout.htm:cd09a]Make your own take out box.[/url:cd09a]

:D
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

Buy them bulk:

http://www.nextag.co... ... rices-html

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

I went to the new Vancouver location last week and it was almost exactly like the Victoria versions. Long lineups and long wait for food. But I must say the food seemed yummier, in my professional opinion, at the Vancouver location.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

Wow. Who knew you could come to VV and get reversed-engineered noodle recipes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

^^Where's the Vancouver location, maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

#27 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:26 PM

It's on 4th, just about half a block west from Burrard. It doesnt have a big sign that says "Noodlebox", but you'll recognize it by the giant menu hanging near the window.

But as for restaurants in Vancouver Rennie, you should try Memphis Blues BBQ House. It's a big basket of mmmmmmm!

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

Memphis Blues is the ultimate in meat indulgence!
Very good and a very authentic, southern states kinda place.

#29 teamind

teamind
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

I actually like Noodle Box, but admit that I much prefer the original Fisgard location. It has a more companionable atmosphere and is quiet enough to allow conversation while dining.

Like other folks, my main issue with the Douglas outlet, apart from the long wait irrespective of queue size (an earlier poster got that right!), is the excessive volume coming from the restaurant's speakers. If they cranked it down a bit, I'd eat there from time to time. Maybe the intent behind the loud music is to keep the staff entertained, maybe it's to help move the customers on; but I can't help but feel they lose a lot of potential business because of the level.

#30 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

i used to eat there all the time but i stopped for a while because they didn't use bowls even though they'd moved inside. now that i can get a bowl, i eat there all the time again. as for fisgard vs douglas, the fisgard is the original 'inside' location & it's run by the same couple who had the trailer in the chinatown parking lot; the douglas st location isn't as far as i know. re: portion control, the stuff i've gotten is pretty much the same all the time. maybe it looks like the cooks just throw everything together but they throw it together the same way every time, which is the bottom line in the food business. re: waiting, everything is made to order!! there's no steam table full of stuff & no food sitting under lamps for who-knows-how long. nothing hits the wok until someone orders. that makes a huge difference for me anyway.

#31 Spurtz

Spurtz
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

I really like the food at this place - lemongrass and lime flavours in some of the dishes are really nice.

I made a faux pas on one of my recent visits - I asked for "hot", and she warned me. Being a guy, I said "Give it to me Baby" or something to that effect. Now, I like spicy food and think that most "hot" dishes are still toned down for the general public, but HOLY COW that was intense. I still can't find my socks.

Highly recommended to visit this local place.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

HAHA I made the same mistake the first time I went. I did not feel so good the next day.

It has a whole new look!

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

Anyone notice the new place opening on Blanshard where Ali Babas used to be?

Boxo Noodle Bar :)

It has a whole new look!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

Remember the "wrap" craze that stormed into town a few years back? Seems like this noodle frenzy is a similar recipe for success...or the lack of it. We need more variety in this town and not a slew of businesses emulating each other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

But that's the Victoria business cycle. Young people start something fresh and new, and retired bureaucrats clone it past the point of saturation ensuring no-one actually ends up making a profit.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Food trends like this come and go in any city. Remember the muffin craze? Bagels? Salad Bars?
Yeah. We had that where I came from too.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Anyone notice the new place opening on Blanshard where Ali Babas used to be?

Boxo Noodle Bar :)

From NZ?

http://www.wellingto... ... o/Boxo.htm
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#38 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

From NZ?

And nor will it look like this, this or this.

#39 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Please try Hope Key. It's a little gem of a place. I won't eat a noodle box anywhere else. Super couple who own it.
Douglas @ Yates.
Used to be that crepe place. Black and silver storefront with the bus stop right in front.

#40 Ben Peterson

Ben Peterson
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

i was excited when the douglas location opened as it's closer to my house, but it almost turned me off of noodle box altogether! i always get the same thing and obvioiusly consistency is key with such a small, static menu. i had a couple of sub par boxes in a row and it really turned me off, knowing how good it can be and not getting it. i skipped it for probably 6 months.

however if anyone's is unsure reading older posts om this thread, i think they've worked out the 'kinks' or whatever you want to call it, as i've had consistently good boxes ( at douglas) for some time now. as several people noted earlier, peak times are busy, but all you need to do is call down and ask how long the wait is (there's two lines: phone-in orders and walk-in orders). sometimes the walk-in line is out the door and 45 minutes while the phone-in is only 20 (and vice versa) you just have to ask.

btw, i am only speaking for the spicy peanut box, cause it's the only one i order!!! oh yeah, and the fried pork rolls appetizer i've had a couple of times too: really good but i think a tad over-priced at 6 or 7 bucks for 3 'typical spring roll sized' morsels.

ben

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users