Photo

Noodle Box locations in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

Hrmm I've often wondered about Hope Key, I wait for the bus (which comes only every 50 minutes) right outside. Next time I have a long wait, I will try it.

#42 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Now that Noodlebox has some competition they've got to tighten up their quality imho. The last few times I ate there the chicken, pork & bok choy hadn't been prepped very carefully.

#43 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hrmm I've often wondered about Hope Key, I wait for the bus (which comes only every 50 minutes) right outside. Next time I have a long wait, I will try it.

Please try it. My friend's girlfriend Brenda is the owner with her brother and she is a really nice, hard-working woman.

#44 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

That's the only place I'll go to. They are great people, and good food for the price. They also only use locally grown produce. I try and support them as much as possible. They have a good lunch clientele, but are trying to build up the dinner crowd.

#45 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

Please try it. My friend's girlfriend Brenda is the owner with her brother and she is a really nice, hard-working woman.

I love Brenda! She's such a hoot!
I didn't know it was her brother. I thought they were hubby and wife. :confused:

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

The quality of their offerings have suffered. It used to be that the Douglas location lagged behind the Fisgard location, but now they're equally unimpressive.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Coming to Langford, a new NoodleBox and Dyson hand-dryers for all!

http://www.thenoodlebox.net/blog.php

#48 Zanjabil

Zanjabil
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have had Noodle Box from both locations many times over the past few years. I find the waiting times at the Fisgard location to be much better (and less crowded) than the Douglas location. Consistency of the flavour of the dishes I found has never been a problem, except for the heat of the dish. Personally I'm getting a bit bored of their small menu, would be nice to see some fresh changes.

#49 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

I love Brenda! She's such a hoot!
I didn't know it was her brother. I thought they were hubby and wife. :confused:

Hope not... might be a surprise for my friend Bill:o

#50 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

I ate at the Langford one back in January and was extremely disappointed. I had always been happy eating at either downtown stores though I'd probably only been about 4 times total. I threw mine out after about 3 or 4 bites it was just bland yet left a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't been back since. It's just as busy as the other locations though. My wife tried to order herself some lunch over the phone about 1:45 in the afternoon and they said it would be ready for 3:30. She declined obviously. I'm hoping they have ironed things out. It only opened just after Christmas so probably took some time to get the chefs up to speed.

Anyway as for the talk about ingredients I'm getting a bit tired of restaurants using carbs as filler. Bread, noodles, rice are all really cheap and all they do is fill you up, there's really little nutrition in there. I know that's not what eating out is all about but at the same time eating is about more than just making yourself full.

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

Bread Noodles and Rice are kind of central parts to the majority of the worlds food. If you threw corn in there you would cover about 80 percent of what be eaten everywhere today.

#52 balance

balance
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

line ups too long- food was just okay.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Noodle Box is still on track to open at Uptown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

Last night I ordered the Red Thai Curry and my girlfriend had a kids size box. My curry was utterly tasteless and thrown together with ingredients that must have neutralized each other's flavour. This place must think that hot sauce is enough seasoning for the average Victorian who doens't know what good food should taste like.

My girlfriends box came with just noodles, no vegetables, just noodles. Before she realized her box was void of any other ingredients she had eaten about a third of it and by that point she wasn't interested in complaining and just wanted to leave.

Above all when I tipped the cashier before we got our food she made no effort to say thank you or even recognize that I tipped. That's extremely poor customer service and indicative of the tipping culture many on this forum speak of.

To be perfectly honest I will rate Noodle Box 3/10. Why 3? Because the food wasn't burned and was at the very least edible.

Will I be back? Highly unlikely.

#55 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

^
That was our experience last week. After a grueling back to school shop...that's where we stopped.
Mine was utterly tasteless as well. After spending $30 for two...never again.

(I think I said that before and kicked myself again)

#56 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

^ x3. I've never had a good meal at Noodle Box, and have no idea why Victorian's revere them.

#57 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:44 AM

I'm guilty of saying I'll never be back to a joint and then I find myself back at square one paying more for something I dislike and then vowing (again) to never return. Old habits die slow. I recall when Noodle Box first opened I couldn't believe how unique and exciting the food was but quality slid downhill fast when the second location opened on Douglas.

I see that this place is full of college kids most of the time. In comparison to the sludge those kids eat on campus I can't fault them for devouring whatever Noodle Box has to offer. For the rest of us it's the equivalent to cafeteria food.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

It almost seems like that places such as the Wok Box and Noodle Box are a bit polarizing. What I mean by that is people either like it or they don't. I'm sure there are people that fall into the indifferent category; but most people I've talked to have a well-defined opinion.

http://www.shermansf...noodle-box.html

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

That doesn't explain the perceived changes in the quality of food since the place first opened. I would agree that some people just don't like noodle boxes, but when you have fans of southeast Asian cuisine turning away then something is amiss.

Know it all.

#60 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

I never understood why Noodle Box was popular. It's essentially just a bad attempt by white people making Asian food for other white people. Must be because it comes in a Chinese takeout box.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users