• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

Never been , but I hear it's popular.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

Neither have I. Someone said it doesn't live up to the hype. Still, it's an amazing story of how a sidewalk vendor cart evolved in just a few short years into a three-store chain here and in Vancouver.

Remember years ago when it was said food carts would harm local restaurant business? This cart actually revitalized locally owned restaurant business.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

I've never been. I don't even know where they're located.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

Never been, either.

There's one location in Chinatown and another across from the Falls lot on Douglas.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

One in Chinatown, east of Gov't. one in the old Panda restaurant next to Smitty's on Douglas (did you hear Smitty's had a fire last week?)

The other one is in Kits, I believe although I may be wrong and often am.

Edit: fleet-fingered Derf beat me to it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

Sometimes Noodle Box is all right other times it just isn't up to par. Still for under ten bucks you get a lot of food. Also you got to respect the owners that started their chain with a cart on the side of Fisgard Street.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

Edit: fleet-fingered Derf beat me to it.

Fleet-fingered Derf would be a good name for a rock band (with apologies to Dave Barry).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

They seem to have line-ups outside the door everytime I go by at lunch. Never eaten there, but my friends who have say its over rated, and they usually end up having to frequent the facilitiesafter. Maybe they have weak stomachs, or they're not used to the oil or chili oil being used!

#9 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

You guys havent been? Its pretty good. I wouldnt say it compares to anything in chinatown as it isnt along the same lines as what is offered there. The reason why they are popular is because they have filled a niche of "ready to take home chinese food" that you cant get anywhere else. And for $10, youll get filled up for sure.

#10 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:28 AM

I don't like Noodle Box. My sister ended up getting food poisoning from there.

Anyway, Oodle Noodle on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton is excellent. I love it. It's on the same lines of Noodle Box but a lot better.

#11 Carewser

Carewser
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

Most people i've talked to think it's the ****, but i haven't tried it yet, which is quite ironic since i love noodles!

#12 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

I used to eat there when it was just the small place on Fisgard. I thought the noodles were just average and a tad overpriced. I haven't been back since they expanded to Douglas and now everyone has to noodle box boxes all the time.

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

I tried it tonight (Douglas St. location). Pretty good, I thought. It seemed expensive considering the ingredients but it sure was filling. I couldn't finish. The place was busy and it took a very long time to get the food.

#14 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:55 AM

On the whole, I like the place but I have some reservations.
Why does it take so long? It easily takes 15 minutes or more for your order to come out the other end no matter how many people seem to be ahead of you. I think there is an issue with people phoning in orders and jumping the queue.

Watching them cook, I've noticed there is no portion control. They toss handfuls of ingredients from the refrigerated storage unit into the wok some distance away. Liquids are squirted from sqeeze bottles. As a result, there's a debris field between the refrigerated storage unit and the woks. Oddly, they ask you how spicy you want it from 1 to 10 but basically its either the hot sauce liquid jet hits the wok or it didn't. It's much more binary.

Its a drag when they have to remake your order because some street person has swept in and grabbed your box off the counter before you get to it.

And the music is always too loud (other people have told me this so its not just me getting old. Honest).I like the 'hole-in-the-wall' quality to the space (the Fisgard Street store) and the general busyness. It reminds me of the small take-away places in New York by [url=http://www.ltlarchitects.com:1904c]Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis[/url:1904c]. As condos get smaller and kitchens are downsized to just a microwave and kettle, these types of funky take-aways are going to be more common.

Fluff Bakery (walls of coloured felt, light to dark)

Tides Restaurant (wood skewer ceiling)

and Dash Dogs

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

Now those are cool lookin food spots! WE have had a couple hole in the wall places go belly up but your right as the pop gets denser we should see them become more successful.

It has a whole new look!

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

The fisgard location is better. The food at the Douglas one is very hit and miss. Live closer to the Douglas one, but I avoid it and make the trip to the other.

#17 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

I love their stuff. I wasn't keen on the prices or the attitude: they charge $2.00 to split an order into two boxes.
So that I could satisfy my noodle cravings whenever I wanted, I reverse engineered their recipe:

http://mike.dewolfe.bc.ca/cooking/noodles.asp

It's close in taste and cost for your first order (because of the set-up costs of some of the ingredients). After about two orders, it works out to $3 or less per serving. Most of the ingredients are sold down the street at the Fisgard Market.

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:35 PM

Brilliant!

All you need is a clueless sullen young person to serve it to for that authentic Victoria restaurant experience.

Welcome!

#19 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

I love their stuff. I wasn't keen on the prices or the attitude: they charge $2.00 to split an order into two boxes.
So that I could satisfy my noodle cravings whenever I wanted, I reverse engineered their recipe:

http://mike.dewolfe.bc.ca/cooking/noodles.asp

It's close in taste and cost for your first order (because of the set-up costs of some of the ingredients). After about two orders, it works out to $3 or less per serving. Most of the ingredients are sold down the street at the Fisgard Market.

Oh wow! That looks really easy to make and looks really good. Perhaps I might learn how to cook (or get my sister to cook it) and it would be very tasty!

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

That is awesome! Cool site as well!

Welcome to the forum. Now if only we could reverse engineer the "egg" in an Egg McMuffin we could take over the world!

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users