Constructing an Owner-Built Home in Greater Victoria - Personal Experience

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#261 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Link is broken, here's the info bulletin: https://www.hpo.bc.c...uilder_Exam.pdf

Seems idiotic to me.  Can you imagine the bureaucracy that went into creating and now administering this exam for all eternity?  How do these people live with themselves?   

And for the very small handful of owner builder homes that are typically in the million+ range.  When it homes to cheaper homes (under 800k) almost impossible to find an owner builder these days.  For example, Happy Valley (under 600k) is 99.9% builder/warranty builds.  Bear Mountain under 1000k is also all builder/warranty builds.

Having gone through the process of building an owner builder home there is also nothing this type of exam would have helped with.  How on earth does knowledge about "disclosure," in the exam have ANYTHING to do with the quality of the home? When I go sell my owner builder home guess what I will do, google "disclosure owner builder home HPO office," and find out what I have to provide to the buyer.  The disclosure requirement will probably change 5 times by the time I am selling my property so have a portion of the exam dedicated to it is so dumb I don't even know what to say.

It is literally like the dumbest piece of real estate bureaucracy I've ever come across.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#262 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Soil conditions? lol........it's called the geotech engineer.

#263 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,228 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

This falls under what I call administrative inflation....

#264 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Hey Marko, hope the house is working well for you. Just curious as to the final cost /sqft and what type of costs /ft are out there just now.

We were looking at the lots on Malton at $769k and trying to rough guess the costs for a 2500ft home with a 500ft suite (3 bed/3 bath + 1 bed 1 bath suite) I was guestimating approx $225/ft ...am I even close?

#265 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hey Marko, hope the house is working well for you. Just curious as to the final cost /sqft and what type of costs /ft are out there just now.

We were looking at the lots on Malton at $769k and trying to rough guess the costs for a 2500ft home with a 500ft suite (3 bed/3 bath + 1 bed 1 bath suite) I was guestimating approx $225/ft ...am I even close?

If you go owner-builder you could probably get in at $225 sq/ft but with a builder will probably be closer to $250-$260 on that small of a size.  

Are you implying 2,500 sq/ft including the suite of 500 sq/ft or 3,000 sq/ft altogether? At 2,500 if you would lose a lot of money if you had to re-sell in my opinion.  To try to re-coup on re-sale you typically have to max out the home size in the core areas as the land is such a massive input cost.

#266 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

Cheers! Yup was looking at 3000 combined. The size is simply a guestimate to get an idea of costs. A buddy just bought out in North Saanich and is building next year. His numbers quoted are $225-260 but he's doing geothermal and has to put in septic so a slightly different cost structure

#267 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

you would be smart to do 3,500 sq/ft in my opinion only for reason of re-sale....it won't cost much more.  The big ticket items are kitchens, bathrooms, electrical panel etc., an extra bedroom or bigger bedrooms in general don't increase cost significantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users