Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

I live in the area and have been following this.  As far as I know the main car loop will stay the same or very close to the same. The small upper parking lot will be lost but be replaced by a nice little plaza.

http://fairfieldcomm...-2016-12-15.pdf

Upgraded odour control is promised. There was some talk about re-aligning some of the trails in the park as some don't make sense where they begin and end.  There is potential for a bathroom although some residents are opposed as they think it will increase the beach overnighting population. And of course there is the proposed bike lane from Clover to Ogden which will be an amazing amenity if it gets built (I think even some folks that hate downtown bike lanes will accept that an off street bike route along here is a boon for tourists and locals.)

As a near neighbour to this project I am cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for the clarification, nerka!

screenshot-oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm-2017-02-24-12-43-15.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

VHF should get benched for that mistake.

• Nparker likes this

#43 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

That's to bad. I Would rather that be parking and the loop gone....

#44 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

That's to bad. I Would rather that be parking and the loop gone....

It would definitely help me break my habit of going to Clover Point to relax and help break the need to go into town.

• Nparker likes this

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

...I would rather that be parking and the loop gone....

I assume you'd be OK with the loop being designated bike only.

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Isn't there already a parking issue during the summer? So now we are making it less accessible for seniors?
Regarding Bingo's post above, I have some letters from my grandfather when he was in the Navy in 1915 where they are shooting at the clover point range.

Most seniors like to do a little skeet shooting, so close off the loop to cars and everyone else and get a few clay pigeons launchers set up towards the water.

Only kites over 3 metres in length will be permitted over the range, when shooting is in progress.

• On the Level likes this

#47 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

No vehicles at all would be my preference....   

#48 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

Ya....no more seniors zipping around in their carts shootin skeet and all.

"Sorry Sonny, I thought it was one of them there clay pigeons....."
  • Nparker likes this

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

No vehicles at all would be my preference....   

Does that include wheelchairs?

#50 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Does that include wheelchairs?

I don't think barring vehicles makes the space non accessible to those who can't walk. So no real need to straw man me there.  I think a path down there that is accessible would be spot on. As it stands now it less accessible down there unless they stay in a car...  

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

I don't think barring vehicles makes the space non accessible to those who can't walk...

No, but it makes it less accessible for those who drive but have other mobility issues, which in Victoria is many people.

#52 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

I have taken the father in law there. Depending on how he is doing that day, I can't always get him out of the car and into a chair by myself. Clover Point might be off limits now if there are changes. Suppose there is further down towards the cruise ships to park, but it's not as nice and only if we can find parking.

Edited by On the Level, 24 February 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Mayor clarified, parking will stay, but be closed for 18-24 months during construction.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#54 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

We can all agree it is a nice waterfront parking lot! So I concede. I'm ok with having the drive in water front view....

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

I couldn't find a specific thread for the Dallas Road waterfront, so I am putting this here. Mods can relocate it as necessary.

...the seawall along Dallas Road...[will] get some help. Repair work actually started in 2012 when it was determined that parts of the structure were in serious decline. It continued in 2014 and the projection was for the entire project to be completed by 2016. But as sections of the wall were opened up, it became clear that the deterioration in the structure was more serious than originally suspected...The project has now been extended into 2019 and the City’s latest budget documents show $895,000 is allocated for the work...

https://www.vicnews....ll-stretch-out/

Meanwhile the CoV spends money on Poet Laureates, musical handrails and $50,000 for frivolous community projects. Call me old-fashioned, but infrastructure that protects a large swath of a main roadway in the city needs to be a fiscal priority. 

• Daveyboy, mbjj and Awaiting Juno like this

#56 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

As a resident of Clover Point - I have mixed views on what should be done.  I do think properly maintained washrooms that are closed from 9pm to 5am would be a nice add on to the park and would enable it to be a more effective host for community events and more accessible for those with bowel/bladder issues.  I do think it's an underused asset - and that it will be improved as a result of the upgrades to the pump station.

• Nparker likes this

#57 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

I think history knows best, and Clover Point should revert to its proper use as a rifle range. Since the range closed by Thetis Lake, and the range out in North Saaanich has a 10 year waiting list ... this is a win/win for everybody.

Open the range for use at 6:00am 7 days a week to allow for target practice before work, and remain open until 9:00pm so folks can use the range after work.

Could be a bit of extra noise, but really nothing more than the noise the birds make down there now.  :thumbsup:

Attached Images

• Clover Point Rifle Range.jpg

• sebberry and todd like this

#58 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Interesting photo. I've never seen that before.

#59 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Here's another angle, earlier in vintage, with different targets than the ones in the other picture.

Around the Clover Point area at the time was the multi-acre Henley Farm. (sp)

Even today, folks who live in the area marvel at the beautiful top soil they live on top of, sometimes going 8 or 10 feet down.

Attached Images

• Clover Point Rifle Range 2.jpg

Edited by Cassidy, 02 February 2018 - 03:49 PM.

• todd and mbjj like this

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

I like that old paddle-wheeler.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users