PROPOSED
Residences at the Empress
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Bosa Development has plans to erect an eight-storey rental building with ground floor commercial space southea... (view full profile)
Learn more about Residences at the Empress on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Residences at the Empress | Rentals | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#221 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

This article in the T-C has comments from the architect, James Cheng. The building was rotated 90 degrees to preserve harbour views for Humbolft Valley residents. See http://www.timescolo...site-1.20496749

#222 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

I am not surprised the JBNA is responsible for this eyesore. 

... The 87,037-square-foot building’s contemporary design will use brick and stone on its exterior, similar to the materials used to build the Empress Hotel. Those ideas came out of consultations with area residents, Cheng said. “All the residents said, ‘Don’t copy the Empress Hotel [in design]. That’s the grande old dame. It should look beautiful and we should complement it rather than copy it.’ That is exactly what we are doing.”...

http://www.timescolo...site-1.20496749

So poorly interpret the Empress' materials, throw in a dollop of bulkiness and a terrible street presence et "voila"!

#223 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

The buildings plans have been posted, but they do not include any other renderings [x]

Apparently the rose garden and pedestrians paths will be expanded all the way to Douglas Street as part of the final landscaping.

#224 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

The buildings plans have been posted, but they do not include any other renderings...

I noticed that. How ugly must it look from all other angles? 

#225 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

^ Based on the elevations and site plan, it's more of the same all the way around, with the exception of the inset circular lobby with surrounding driveway.

#226 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

^ Based on the elevations and site plan, it's more of the same all the way around, with the exception of the inset circular lobby with surrounding driveway.

It's sad that the creativity that allowed for the circular lobby couldn't have manifested itself onto the exterior public faces.

#227 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

I had the same reaction. A glass Janion-esque curve on that corner of the building itself might have looked terrific.

I still think this place might look a fair bit better than was suggested by that first image.

Edited by aastra, 09 June 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

I had the same reaction. A glass Janion-esque curve on that corner of the building itself might have looked terrific.

It still could look terrific. This is a case where I think something superior needs to be demanded. How about some curves? More glass? And for goodness sake, get rid of the awful landscaping that creates a barrier between the sidewalk and the commercial spaces on the ground level. This isn't a teahouse in the middle of the Butchart Gardens.

• kafkaesque likes this

#229 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

I really just hate that weird roof line. It would look way better if everything were left the same but the lost the flat roof cap thing
  • jonny likes this

#230 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

Hard to tell but it looks like the ground floor on the corner isn't engaging the sidewalk at all. I was hoping for some life there.

I predict that a design change will be needed once they discover the whole site is over a former mud flats and there is no bedrock within 100 ft* of the surface.

#231 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

I predict that a design change will be needed once they discover the whole site is over a former mud flats and there is no bedrock within 100 ft* of the surface.

I am pretty sure the soil conditions are well known, after all it was less than 30 years ago that the (partial) underground parking for the Conference Centre was built.

#232 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

I do lean towards Art Nouveau, so unsurprisingly I think that some non-straight lines would be good.  And the street level needs to be engaging, as aastra said.  It seems a bit forbidding, but maybe I am having flashbacks to classes in Elliot and the related trauma is influencing me...

• Nparker likes this

#233 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

I think the new building can't come soon enough...

b1-clr-0609-empress-jpg.jpg

38168937862_72c079e588_k.jpg

• jonny likes this

#234 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

CoV provided the first round of comments back in June, and with no updates on the Development Tracker since then I assume (and am sincerely hoping) that the developer is making significant changes to the plans. That said, the final "form and character" will be established in the Development Permit later on, not this Rezoning.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#235 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone have some scoop on this? Development Tracker still shows it in limbo.

Empress.JPG

#236 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

Maybe the architect (James Cheng) is too busy with the redevelopment of the Plaza of Nations in Vancouver? He's a bit of a local celebrity in the architecture world.

#237 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Maybe the architect (James Cheng) is too busy with the redevelopment of the Plaza of Nations in Vancouver? He's a bit of a local celebrity in the architecture world.

I can't imagine the project for the Empress property, at least what we have last seen, will win any awards.

#238 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

I can't imagine the project for the Empress property, at least what we have last seen, will win any awards.

The current proposal was even more underwhelming when I saw who the architect is. He did the Parc Residences and The Falls in Victoria, and his Vancouver credits are many.

#239 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

It also seems odd to me that we've only ever seen that one angle.

#240 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

It also seems odd to me that we've only ever seen that one angle.

Imagine how bad all the other views must be if the only rendering we've seen is the best angle?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users