Grey Cup

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

I love that the NY Jets aren't even on the map.

• jonny likes this

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

I thought it was one of the better Grey Cup games...very entertaining!

I was at a Grey Cup party and I made money, so it was a great day.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

On Sportscentre this morning they announced that 10 million unique viewers tuned in to watch the 102nd Grey Cup. This year's Grey Cup was actually also broadcast on ESPN2 in the United States.

11.5m unique viewers tuned in to watch the 101st Grey Cup, so it appears as though there was a dip in viewership.

The 2014 Grey Cup was not a sellout. Over 1,400 tickets remained unsold (although in my observation most of those were horrible upper deck corner seats, which are dreadful at BC Place). Announced attendance was still well over 52,000. For reference, the 101st Grey Cup, held in Regina, had an attendance of 44,710.

#44 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

I was at a Grey Cup party and I made money, so it was a great day.

You found a Grey Cup party in Maui? wow...

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

Major Sporting Finals Top Canadian TV Rankings in 2014

A turbulent year for Canadian broadcasters and advertisers reveals major sporting finals still pulled in the biggest TV audiences in 2014.

Full-year ratings from Numeris underline the continuing dominance of the Super Bowl, which was the most watched Canadian TV tentpole on CTV and RDS with 7.9 million viewers. The 2014 Oscars on CTV came in second in the Canadian TV rankings with 6.4 million viewers, followed closely by the gold medal hockey game at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi in third place on the CBC with 5.7 million viewers.

http://www.hollywood...canadian-759843

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

^ if a Canadian team made the Stanley Cup finals that would be a whole 'nother story.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

The college football championship game next Monday will likely be the highest-watched college football game ever on cable.  This is the first year of this format.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

The college football championship game next Monday will likely be the highest-watched college football game ever on cable.  This is the first year of this format.

Both playoff games yesterday were great entertainment value especially if you are a fan of either the Pac or Big 10: finally the SEC is no longer anointed the "best" conference almost by default especially by Big Media like ESPN. U-O completely dismantled defending champion Florida State and the OSU-Alabama game was awesome. Much more exciting IMO than either the CFL or especially the massively overhyped and endlessly pimped Super Bowl, which more often than not rarely lives up to expectations. Go Ducks...! :thumbsup:

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

Yes, it was good.  Lots of Ducks fans at the bar yesterday.  If the final on the 12th was not just on cable it'd likely really do well ratings-wise.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/fi...on-tsn-1.175296

First-Ever College Football Playoff semifinals attracts record audience on TSN

In Thursday's second semifinal matchup, the ALLSTATE SUGAR BOWL, #4-ranked Ohio State's stunning upset of #1-ranked Alabama attracted an average audience of 534,000 viewers.

Overall, more than 3.8 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch the highly-anticipated COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF semifinals on TSN. Audiences for the record-setting ROSE BOWL GAME Presented by Northwestern Mutual peaked at 1.1 million viewers late in the third quarter, as Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota and the Oregon Ducks pulled away for the victory.

TSN is the exclusive Canadian home to ESPN's comprehensive coverage of the inaugural COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF. ESPN's live coverage of the semifinals delivered the largest two audiences in American cable television history, both attracting more than 28 million viewers.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:11 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 02 Jan 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

The college football championship game next Monday will likely be the highest-watched college football game ever on cable.  This is the first year of this format.

Yup, it hit 34M.  Blew away the record.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Shania Twain will perform at Grey Cup this year.

#53 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

upset in the making today.

#54 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

Personally I was glued to the Cowboys-Patriots and, before I got dragged off to curling, the Packers-Niner TV games.

I do wonder outside of the teams involved what kind of buzz the Grey Cup in particular and more broadly the CFL, generate? Aside from TSN, which of course was pimping the game, no one I know personally or at work ever mentions either the league or the game. Super Bowl office parties and pools OTOH are everywhere, including our office which has 500 staff. Grey Cup? Nada. Seems to me outside of the Prairies it has at best pockets of support in the Maritimes and, this year at least, Hamilton and that's about it. 

#55 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

^The only Grey Cup buzz this year was about Shorts Guy, who can now wear pants I guess. That's it. That's the buzz.

#56 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

I was at a Grey cup party. Won $35USD and ate too much.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:26 AM

have heard nothing about the cfl. I just presume they will take a year off.

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

Belair Direct, in a statement to CBC News on Tuesday, said in order for the company to continue its partnership with the football organization "we will need to see concrete action in the near future, including a commitment to a name change."

Edmonton's team has seen repeated calls for a name change in the past, and faces renewed criticism as sports teams in Canada, the United States and elsewhere are urged to remove outdated and sometimes racist names and images.

However, the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation — which represents Inuit who live in Canada's western Arctic region — said it does not take exception to the term "Eskimo" and said it supports the use of the word "as long as it is used in a respectful manner."

"It was developed by a First Nations group to describe a group of Inuit they were aware of," IRC chair Duane Smith said in an email to CBC News last week. 

"As it pertains to the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League, they do use the term out of respect and have been reaching to the Inuit organizations and communities to develop collaborative approaches within those communities to promote education, awareness, respect, healthy recreational pursuits and reconciliation."

https://www.cbc.ca/s...july8-1.5641937

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2020 - 02:36 PM.

#59 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

Isn't that amazing! When the group to who the alleged racism comments are directed to is ignored.

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:40 AM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users