BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#61 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

They could have the building 'step up' from Oliphant towards Park. Go from 1-2 stories at the North end to 5 at the South end. Would allow for a lot of nice patio/green roof potential.

1258922857-nl02-528x321.jpg

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 05 December 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#62 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

This development will also have its construction challenges. The subsurface soil conditions in Cook Street village are about as poor as it gets in Victoria. Even trying to get one level of undergound parking built will be tricky..it cerainly was at Castana.

btw...i think the developer is "Urban Core" They did the Zen building next to Kilshaws

#63 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

EV laid giant foam blocks below the first pour to deal with the soil. Not solid on the science behind it.

#64 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

btw...i think the developer is "Urban Core" They did the Zen building next to Kilshaws

This one? www.urbancoreventures.com

Edited by gumgum, 05 December 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#65 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

There are a ton of 4-story apartment blocks in Fairfield. I don't think we need to bother trying to count them all. But I think the point here is that the village itself tends to be less than 4-stories.

I guess my point was that if we're OK with two ugly four storey buildings at the north end of CSV, a (presumably) nice looking five storey building at the south end of CSV shouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Nparker, Mr Cook Street and sasamat like this

#66 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

Same guys as Terra Verde on Richardson. And 1419 Fairfield subdivision.

So they know Fairfield. Which is promising.

#67 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Looks like they do quality stuff. I'm hopeful. The village has been much improved since the recent developments happened. It was getting a little shabby there...

#68 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Anything is better than Essencia Verde. That's a bit of a disaster imo.

#69 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

I think the real disaster was the underdevelopment of the other two buildings in the area. The building with Bubbies only has a couple residential units above it and the building with Primastrada and the liquor store could easily have been mixed use. At least Essencia Verde has a mixed use component and has a good number of units in each 3 story building.

#70 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

On paper Essecia works, but from an esthetic standpoint it sucks. It just looks so cheap. And I think it should have been higher density and taller btw.

#71 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

Essecia has grown on me a bit.  I've sold a couple of condos in there and the interior quality is solid, I don't mind the exterior either specially the building on Sutlej.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

A good paint job wouldn't hurt.

#73 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

Huh?  It's either all strata or none.  You can't have strata units below purpose-built rental units.  You could have strata apartments that you agree to covenant as rental-only (not for sale) for some period of time.

you most certainly can have strata units above purpose built rentals. Its called an air space parcel. It happens all the time all over the place.

#74 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

you most certainly can have strata units above purpose built rentals. Its called an air space parcel. It happens all the time all over the place.

It is true, they have that at Travino. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

All over the place? Please point to even one example in BC where residential rentals are mixed with strata units in the same building.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hudson Mews was to have this mix until they decided on an all rental building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hudson Mews was to have this mix until they decided on an all rental building.

Fail.  I need a real example.

Also, Mike, REITS will not invest in strata properties, so I'm not sure why you would ever want strata commercial under residences.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

REITS aren't the only building owners.

The Hudson has strata and rental homes. Didn't you put down an offer to rent an apartment there way back when?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

REITS aren't the only building owners.

The Hudson has strata and rental homes. Didn't you put down an offer to rent an apartment there way back when?

No, but REITs are potential property purchasers, so you never know when you might like to sell.

Hudson has rentals but they are individual strata lots.  Like the Sandpiper on Quadra. 

#80 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Fail.  I need a real example.

Also, Mike, REITS will not invest in strata properties, so I'm not sure why you would ever want strata commercial under residences.

There is at least one rental building in Victoria with a strata commercial on the first floor. I have been digging through the BCAA data for work and saw it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users