BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

Wow, so they want to extend the village? I'm really surprised by that. Meanwhile there are three or four properties right in the heart of the village that are just begging for transformation.

• jonny likes this

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

This is exactly the type of development that should be going on in Fairfield, and CSV in particular.

The entire block south of Starbucks to the RBC building is ripe for redevelopment, IMO. The property across the street, with the hideous one floor building that houses the marketplace is as well.

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

The village on Cook Street has a nice feel as it is, with buildings of two to three stories, ample coffee shops and restaurants and a pub, all within walking distance of the waterfront. 

Other than the Oak Bay Village and Beacon Avenue in Sydney those places are getting harder to find.

I don't live in the area, but it is that ambience that draws me there.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

The village on Cook Street has a nice feel as it is...

And this folks, in a nutshell, is the Victoria philosophy. Why should ANYTHING change when things are nice just the way they are? I mean Victoria has clearly reached the apex of what it will EVER be and any changes can only be for the worse. I shake my head at this region far too often these days.

#25 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

Ahhh yes more spot zoning. Just rezone Fairfield Victoria and be done with it for the next 50 years. Hold the public charettes, workshops, battles and then publish the updated zoning. Then we all know the playing field and the potential future of the neighbourhood.... If you look at the existing zoning map it doesn't even show all the spot zones as they are right now. I know of a few Abstract condo conversions that still show up as existing in the regular R1-B zoning....

• jklymak likes this

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

Also this type of development is exactly what the City set out in the OCP. If we are going to somewhat limit the density downtown than the other village nodes were to get more density. But it will still be a massive cat fight. That said it may divert attention enough that we can slip the Mason Street building through. Castana was in the paper for years before they got started.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

^OCP isn't enough. Spell it out legally in the actual zoning. This is a perfect case of it fits the OCP but they need to go begging or perhaps putting money in envelopes to make it happen....

• jklymak likes this

#28 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

This is exactly the type of development that should be going on in Fairfield, and CSV in particular.

The entire block south of Starbucks to the RBC building is ripe for redevelopment, IMO. The property across the street, with the hideous one floor building that houses the marketplace is as well.

I've often wondered about the two buildings between RBC and Starbucks. Uninviting commercial that is slightly below ground level and a small number of residential units. If the lots were combined, it would be a good size.

• Nparker likes this

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

The village on Cook Street has a nice feel as it is, with buildings of two to three stories, ample coffee shops and restaurants and a pub, all within walking distance of the waterfront. 

Other than the Oak Bay Village and Beacon Avenue in Sydney those places are getting harder to find.

I agree the village is nice, but good things can get better. I think CSV is certainly one area where development needs to be sensitive to what the area is, but we also need to remember that most of those properties are pretty prime real estate. Expecting them to remain SFDs forever would be silly.

• Nparker likes this

#30 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've often wondered about the two buildings between RBC and Starbucks. Uninviting commercial that is slightly below ground level and a small number of residential units. If the lots were combined, it would be a good size.

Aren't those converted houses or something? I'm thinking of the weird/creepy law office and hair cutting places.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Aren't those converted houses or something? I'm thinking of the weird/creepy law office and hair cutting places.

One has a law office and an optical shop, that's the converted house/duplex.  The one south of it has the hair-cutting, and is a much more modern regular boxy apartment building.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

I honestly don't think 5 stories would make for a great fit in the village, especially if the ground floor is decently tall. Methinks 2-4 stories is the sweet spot. But when we're talking about these particular properties we're talking about the very edge of the village. I think I'd prefer 3-4 stories on this site but I could change my mind depending on what they want to do.

For purposes of comparison, I think I would have no problem with 5-6 stories further up on the gas station/car wash site.

Edited by aastra, 04 December 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#33 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

I honestly don't think 5 stories would make for a great fit in the village, especially if the ground floor is decently tall. Methinks 2-4 stories is the sweet spot. But when we're talking about these particular properties we're talking about the very edge of the village. I think I'd prefer 3-4 stories on this site but I could change my mind depending on what they want to do.

For purposes of comparison, I think I would have no problem with 5-6 stories further up on the gas station/car wash site.

I think it will really depend on the plans. Might look great in that spot, might be overbearing.

I'm pretty sure the cold beer and wine store is looking to expand. This would be a good opportunity - unless the development takes 10 years to materialize.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

I don't mind what happens a few blocks from Cook Street. My comments were intended to be towards what is already fronting on Cook Street.

#35 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

It could act as a bookend to the village. A nice marker to signal the change from retail to residential.

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 05 December 2014 - 08:14 AM.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#36 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

There's a lane that goes behind those houses, and comes out on vancouver. I don't know why it's there or why other blocks don't have one. Whether they do something with it will be interesting to see though. maybe townhouses?

#37 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

There's a lane that goes behind those houses, and comes out on vancouver. I don't know why it's there or why other blocks don't have one. Whether they do something with it will be interesting to see though. maybe townhouses?

there are several lanes in the area.  there was a proposal to build a lane house in the back of one of the houses several years ago but it went nowhere.  the original plan for the Sutlej & Cook site had a building fronting on Cook to replace the rentals being lost but some in the community objected to the density and the result was fewer, more expensive units with no rental. not all the commercial is rented yet - expensive?

#38 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

And it's never going to happen do you remember the delays in getting sutlej approved

#39 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

And it's never going to happen do you remember the delays in getting sutlej approved

Never say never, but yeah it'd be a battle.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

Why would they even bother to go for 5? Seems greedy to me. There's no chance in hell...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users