BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

Greedy? I am not even sure what that means in this context. Perhaps ask for 5 and hope to get at least 3.

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

^I mean there asking for more than they should expect. And I don't know how effective and wise it is to ask for more when you're hoping for less. It's not a good start with an already jumpy community.

#43 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

Given the fact that any change in this area will be controversial, one might as well be strategic in how one makes one's proposal. By asking for more than they want it gives the developer a chance to compromise. It seems like a pretty good tactic to me.

• jonny, Mr Cook Street and Mixed365 like this

#44 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Do we know who the developer is yet. The public notice listed the architects, but is that the same as the developer?

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

Maybe they only want four and it lets them cave to opposition. If they went with four then they would be down to three.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

Do we know who the developer is yet. The public notice listed the architects, but is that the same as the developer?

No, the arhictect in this case is not the developer. I'll look into this.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

To go for 5 is just silly and so transparent. There's nothing 5 anywhere near there. It's clearly obvious there's no chance they'll get that and council will see right through their tactic.

#48 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

To go for 5 is just silly and so transparent. There's nothing 5 anywhere near there. It's clearly obvious there's no chance they'll get that and council will see right through their tactic.

Not 5 stories, but the neighbouring apartment at Cook and Park is not far off. The house on the right will be torn down.

CookST.PNG

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 05 December 2014 - 12:16 PM.

• Mixed365 likes this

#49 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

What's wrong with being a story taller than the average height in the neighbourhood?  Isn't that the "slow organic growth" neighbourhood groups are always talking about?

• Nparker, http, thundergun and 1 other like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#50 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:39 PM

There are two 4 floor buildings that are about 100 years old on the lower stretch of Cook St. What's the big deal with 5 floors? (I know, other than nimbys!)

• Nparker and jonny like this

#51 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

Most of the houses along Oliphant are large 3 story buildings. A 5 story structure isn't going to loom menacingly over them.

The Essencia Verde Sutlej building is 4 stories when you include the stairwells and elevator that go to the roof top patio.

• Nparker likes this

#52 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

There are two 4 floor buildings that are about 100 years old on the lower stretch of Cook St. What's the big deal with 5 floors? (I know, other than nimbys!)

It's not a big deal at all, but we all know how Esseccia Verde/ Castana faired and that's three floors. How in god's name could a 5 or even a 4 go through with this council and in this neighbourhood?

#53 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

Most of the houses along Oliphant are large 3 story buildings. A 5 story structure isn't going to loom menacingly over them.

The Essencia Verde Sutlej building is 4 stories when you include the stairwells and elevator that go to the roof top patio.

I would argue EV is 3.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

What's wrong with being a story taller than the average height in the neighbourhood?  Isn't that the "slow organic growth" neighbourhood groups are always talking about?

Nothing. I'm just putting in my prediction as to how this is going to fair. It's going to be a bloodbath.

• http likes this

#55 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

I can't make the community meeting sadly, but I would love to get a play by play.

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

we all know how Esseccia Verde/ Castana faired... How in god's name could a 5 or even a 4 go through with this council and in this neighbourhood?

I hear what you're saying but then again, wouldn't our collective experience re: the other project really throw a lot of cold water on any unreasonable opposition? The other project turned out well enough. In hindsight we can see that grim predictions re: destruction of the neighbourhood and total societal collapse were unfounded.

• Nparker likes this

#57 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

What about all those 1950's and 1960's era apartment buildings around there that are 4+ floors? 5 floors is hardly tall for that area.

Edit: I guess a lot of them are 3 floors.

But there's this place:

Cook.PNG

Edited by jonny, 05 December 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#58 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

And there's this place:

Cook St.PNG

Edited by jonny, 05 December 2014 - 03:15 PM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

There are a ton of 4-story apartment blocks in Fairfield. I don't think we need to bother trying to count them all. But I think the point here is that the village itself tends to be less than 4-stories.

#60 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

That one in particular is worth considering. If 4 stories (with a lousy ground floor) has been no problem on the north end of the village then 4- or 5-stories (with a decent ground floor) on the south end of the village should also be no problem.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users