BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#861 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

Are odd hair salons doing good business? It seems like a really limited niche.

Cyndi Lauper etc.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#862 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

Are odd hair salons doing good business? It seems like a really limited niche.

I don't think there is an abundance of odd hair in the village, but I could be wrong. 

Do you have any one in mind?

#863 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

There are odd ducks but I've never seen an odd hare.

#864 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

...I've never seen an odd hare.

Oh no? 

Wally.JPG

• Rebecca K likes this

#865 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

Odd hares matter you insensitive clods!

• Rebecca K likes this

#866 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

My impression, not based on any data, is that a majority of live-work spaces in Victoria do not have any commercial component. They are owned by people who can afford to pay the mortgage on the premium space without commercial revenue. Some of the owners had plans to do something commercial that never panned out or tried something commercial that failed, but they're comfortable enough that they don't want to move. Some of the owners never had any commercial aspirations and just want a townhouse layout.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#867 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Any idea when demolition/construction is due to start?  What's the timeline from start to finish?  I hope it's not going to take as long as the Cook/Sutlej project ... argh.

#868 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:40 AM

I think this project will set records, having pricing at $1,000  sq.ft.  This project will attract buyers more than any other recent project I believe.

#869 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:36 AM

^ Has there been any news on this project lately Glen? I can't seem to find much on this project especially price wise.

#870 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

Have you seen the price sheet, Glen?

I believe the Residences at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel are selling for in excess of $1,000 per square foot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#871 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

I heard that figure when speaking with someone in the real estate business.   No price sheet, can't say it's a fact. 

My own opinion on this build.......  I see the project as an outstanding location, and what I think will be one of the last approved condo builds directly in the center of the village for years, or not again.  This alone makes the project HOT and will see a frenzy when registration turns to pre-sales!  I'm sure the builder was the first to recognize that location as a sweet spot.  Another factor to consider about possible pricing would be that the builder will likely try to recapture some of the lost revenue with the concessions made for subsidized rentals. I support the mixed use.

Should a 1k per sq.ft become a reality, I would assume it would be a new high for a wood frame building. 

Yesterday's National Post (Toronto) had an article written about the hot market in Victoria, recent bidding wars in some situations.  The National Post article also said data indicates an increase in people looking to Victoria, downsizing from Vancouver, including younger people looking to the island giving you far more for your $$$$$. 

I think B&W will likely see their Penthouses in the $1K per sq.ft. range

#872 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

I'd say also there are some knockdown opportunities around Southgate too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#873 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

There are other projects coming to the Village area, but you're right, 212 Cook will "the" project for anyone looking to secure a home within the actual village strip. One dev will be going up on Heywood to the west, and another is in the works on Burdett to the north, and another northwest on Southgate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#874 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I heard that figure when speaking with someone in the real estate business. No price sheet, can't say it's a fact.

My own opinion on this build....... I see the project as an outstanding location, and what I think will be one of the last approved condo builds directly in the center of the village for years, or not again. This alone makes the project HOT and will see a frenzy when registration turns to pre-sales! I'm sure the builder was the first to recognize that location as a sweet spot. Another factor to consider about possible pricing would be that the builder will likely try to recapture some of the lost revenue with the concessions made for subsidized rentals. I support the mixed use.

Should a 1k per sq.ft become a reality, I would assume it would be a new high for a wood frame building.

Yesterday's National Post (Toronto) had an article written about the hot market in Victoria, recent bidding wars in some situations. The National Post article also said data indicates an increase in people looking to Victoria, downsizing from Vancouver, including younger people looking to the island giving you far more for your $$$$$.

I think B&W will likely see their Penthouses in the $1K per sq.ft. range

Nice pump.... I don't think we should rejoice that $1000/sq is the new normal when it's costing them $150.... If this is the case, and it sells out fast at those prices I will officially put myself on the bubble side....
  • Baro likes this

#875 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

$150? Just the cost for the framing is ~$225 per square foot for an average woodframe building, and that cost is quickly rising.

This building will be around $300 per square foot at the level of quality we can expect before factoring in every other cost associated with bringing a project like this to fruition. Of course it doesn't help that the proposal took several years to get approved, and the copious up-front costs that would have required.

Speaking about hypothetical square footage pre-sale rates and discounting actual costs to build doesn't help.

Know it all.

#876 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

It doesn't cost a builder $500,000 to frame a 2500 sqft house....
They probably won't even splurge on a Microwave....
$1000/sqft is obscene profit and would be an extreme sign of a market about to implode.

Edited by dasmo, 07 March 2017 - 12:10 PM.

• jonny likes this

#877 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

That's a bit over the top.

What did the Abstract units on the park go for?

#878 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

& just today i saw this

fp0306-gs-credit-gap.png

http://business.fina...inancial-crisis

#879 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

That's a bit over the top.

What did the Abstract units on the park go for?

We looked at one that was 600 sq ft that sold for $365k this summer, so $608/sq ft. Original sale on it was $299k.

An 1,100 sq ft penthouse there just went for $800k in January, so $727/sq ft.

#880 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

It doesn't cost a builder $500,000 to frame a 2500 sqft house....
They probably won't even splurge on a Microwave....
$1000/sqft is obscene profit and would be an extreme sign of a market about to implode.

In a bubble it usually isn't the developer enjoying the biggest or safest profits, it's the land owners.  The developer selling at $1000 a square foot but building for $500 generally needs to do that to make up for how much the land cost.  I'm sure some developers make a killing, but after seeing a lot of the numbers it can be hit and miss and risky.  One development might break even,  the next makes 20%,  the next makes 5%.  What drives the prices through the roof obviously isn't the price of the building, it's generally all down to the land.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users