BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#761 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

A building of such incredible height should protect the CSV residents from too much solar activity dontcha think?

It could be vulnerable to asteroids.

#762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Ok, it's on tonight. Here's the live feed: http://www.victoria....webcasting.html

Is anyone heading down or watching the feed tonight?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#763 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

I'll watch online. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#764 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

Ok, it's on tonight. Here's the live feed: http://www.victoria....webcasting.html

Is anyone heading down or watching the feed tonight?

I've set up a thread for live chat here: http://vibrantvictor...public-hearing/

That way we can keep this thread free of "OMG, I can't believe she said that" chat.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#765 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

212-220-Cook-Street-rendering-approved.jpg

Mixed-use residential and commercial project approved for Victoria's Cook Street Village

http://victoria.citi...street-village/

• Nparker, sebberry, Bingo and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#766 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

OMG! This behemoth totally overshadows the Hydro poles! Won't someone please think of the wires?

#767 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

Yes, the hydro poles are the real losers in all of this.

I hope that Mr. Tafler and his group learned a valuable lesson. Manipulation, fear-mongering and questionable activities might have been the way of opposing projects in the 1990's and early 2000's back when the media actually had a vested interest in supporting their viewership/readership by caving to their rhetoric, but those days are over. The only success the opponents had was to create the impression that they were completely out of touch with reality and averse to change.

• jonny and AndrewReeve like this

Know it all.

#768 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

The speaker that was very compelling was the young fella from Vimy St.

He said something along the lines of is this 5-floor can't go ahead, then all the 4-floor rentals in the Village will deteriorate, or become much more expensive if only developed to 4 floors.

The young lady that owned several rental properties, also compelling.  She talks about the waiting lists she has, or the dozens of renters she turns away for every suite vacancy.

• Nparker and nerka like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:47 AM

That lady happens to be my girlfriend's aunt, and it's crazy how much demand there is for rental units in the Cook Street Village.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#770 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:10 AM

Bart Reid from the pub was not very tactful about it, but he was right.  The Village IS the businesses.  The Village is not Linden, Vancouver, or any of the other side streets.  It's Cook St., and all the businesses that make it up.

The gift/furnishing store owner also said this.  Her customers, 80% of them, are from outside of the Village.

• Nparker and johnk like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#771 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

A lot of it came down to this:

Speaker #1:  Older, long-time Village resident, does not want it.  4 floors good, 5 bad.

Speaker #2:  Younger person, lives near but not in, loves the Village, supports it.

When I hear these guys with two-digit addresses (ie. 57 Linden, 23 Moss), these guys all own million-dollar homes, one, two, three or more streets away from the Village.  I hope their input merited no more consideration than the James Bay renter.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#772 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Yes, the hydro poles are the real losers in all of this.

If they put the wiring under ground next to the five story building they won't have to look at the hydro poles any more and then the building won't look as tall as it isn't.

You're right, it's all about the poles, and I will probably take some flack for that statement.

#773 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:30 AM

I missed Ben Isitt's spiel, but if he was talking about the project not having 'social license' I wonder what would constitute social license?   Some people are in favour and some are opposed, but what's the threshold?

Isitt does favour safe injection sites, even though applying the same lens for social license (some members of the public in favour, some opposed) would indicate that social license is lacking.  Admittedly, these sites are a life-and-death issue, so perhaps he could reasonably argue that the bar for license is much lower for injection sites.

#774 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

I missed Ben Isitt's spiel, but if he was talking about the project not having 'social license' I wonder what would constitute social license?...

If the developer had proposed building 1000 individual houses and then planned to give them to Victoria's homeless to use as SCS/SIS it might start to meet Ben's concept of social license.

#775 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Of the councilors that spoke in favour of the project I found Chris Coleman and Jeremy Loveday the most persuasive. Chris is usually an all around reasonable guy. Jeremy obviously found the passionate young folks in his demographic persuasive (as did I). Some people on VV have called Loveday an Isitt clone. I didn't see that last night. Their comments could hardly have been further apart. Isitt was very unpersuasive. The concept of social licence can make sense when talking about matters of genuine and deep public interest. But for a five story building? In that context "social licence" just means that some folks are opposed so I am not voting to approve.

I am personally closer in age to the NIMBY demographic at the meeting than to a lot of the young folks that spoke at the meeting.  BUt I was saddened to hear so many folks my age and up opposed to a pretty modest development that will open up a few spots in the neighbourhood for folks whose finances fall short of the 800K that is practically the minimum price of admission for a Fairfield SFH these days.

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 1 other like this

#776 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

Well said, nerka.

Know it all.

#777 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

BUt I was saddened to hear so many folks my age and up opposed to a pretty modest development that will open up a few spots in the neighbourhood for folks whose finances fall short of the 800K that is practically the minimum price of admission for a Fairfield SFH these days.

Yes.  But it's actually much higher than that.  And 90% of the folks that own homes in FF bought them more than 10 years ago, when prices were not so crazy.  So they got in when it was affordable.

Right now, east of Cook, west of the graveyard, and below Fairfield there are only 7 houses for sale.

$1,583,000

$1,275,000

$1,750,000

$859,000

$1,250,000

$2,475,000

$1,475,000

screenshot-www.realtor.ca 2016-12-09 11-56-51.png

#778 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

->>> Link to public hearing discussion

The "live" discussion during and after this project's public hearing can be viewed here.

Know it all.

#779 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

As somebody who presently could only afford a SFH if we received a large inheritance, it really burns me when SFH owners like Isitt, Young or the many SFH owners come out to oppose reasonable housing such as this. Because, at the end of the day, all this really is is housing. At its core, this really isn’t all that much different from all those old Fairfield houses. It’s a building that will house human beings for 100+ years. 

• sebberry likes this

#780 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

You know, I can understand the opposition better coming from an old timer. But from 30 something Ben Isitt? He has to have many acquaintances and friends who aren’t in the purchase a 2,500 sq ft home in Victoria demographic.

• sebberry and nerka like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users