- - - - -

The Victoria IKEA thread

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Once upon a time, there was a small Ikea outpost in Victoria...

Where Moxie's is today.

• kafkaesque likes this

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Once upon a time, there was a small Ikea outpost in Victoria.  I remember hauling a small Billy bookcase on the 14 bus from around Cook street to UVic res.  Maybe their past experience here has traumatized them deeply.

A pick up point would be great, but as has been said, browsing, marketplace stuff and meatballs are all kinda awesome. I am still bitter that the red cabbage is gone though.

And look, most of us can make the trip to Vancouver when we need to.  But if you are buying a large item and do not have a truck, it's problematic.  If you have no car, buying almost anything is problematic.  If you live in Chilliwack, I bet you can get uncle Ted to take you in his truck, or your co-worker one weekend.  But the Vancouver thing is much more challenging for obvious reasons.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

For those needing their IKEA fixes, there are services such as The Frugals that will take your order and make the trip for you (usually each Friday) and you can pick up from them (Oak Bay) or have them deliver. Have ordered through them a couple of times and had them deliver. Pay item cost plus a service fee plus delivery fee.

• VicHockeyFan and pennymurphy2000 like this

#124 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Ikea will pick the whole order and deliver to the island right up the elevator to your front door for $169.  For my last order for about $8K (filling a 2 bd condo), this meant that the pick/delivery charge was <3% of the value of the order.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, tedward and 1 other like this

#125 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

That's all good and fine. I want one here because I then Inc an drop in to browse their kitchen setups, to let the kids play in the play area, to pickup those knickknacks they are good at stocking and take advantage of their many sales.
That doesn't apply to large, one off orders.
  • Midnightly and kafkaesque like this

#126 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

The restaurant replaced all their pop with low-sugar fruit drink. So no more bottomless Mountain Dew. They still have meatballs, though.

#127 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

If you have no car, buying almost anything is problematic.  

That's not very Bikatoria of you.

I myself feel blessed my wife can't go into Ikea every week.

Joking aside...nice to see there are some options from this thread :)

#128 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:30 AM

Add2Cart also goes weekly.

• pennymurphy2000 and kafkaesque like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#129 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Ikea will pick the whole order and deliver to the island right up the elevator to your front door for $169.  For my last order for about $8K (filling a 2 bd condo), this meant that the pick/delivery charge was <3% of the value of the order.

I know that IKEA can deliver, but the rate is high for small orders (would have exceeded the cost of the items themselves in my case). I can see that flat rate working better for large orders as in your example.

#130 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

The restaurant replaced all their pop with low-sugar fruit drink. So no more bottomless Mountain Dew. They still have meatballs, though.

What about the lingonberry drink?!

#131 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

I understand why the chain is popular with certain market segments like students (shopped at the Richmond location very occasionally myself when I was @ UBC in the late 80's), those especially just starting out in a first home with limited space (a small condo for example) or even retirees, but on the whole my reaction specifically to IKEA's products is "meh". Overall I find much of what they sell to be cheap-ish, and I don't mean from a purely price perspective - just cheap-looking for the most part, with a few exceptions. I don't miss them here and certainly won't be fussed about whenever they do, or do not, return to the Victoria marketplace.

• LJ likes this

#132 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Could this hint at an IKEA location materializing somewhere on Vancouver Island? The chain's new distribution centre will shorten deliveries to customers in western Canada and as well as help the company reach its sustainability goals.

IKEA Canada Announces New Customer Distribution Centre in Greater Vancouver Area

11-07-2017 03:00
[National]  Strengthened distribution network one of the many ways IKEA Canada is working to make the shopping experience more convenient.

Burlington, ON – IKEA announced plans today to open a 340,000 square foot Customer Distribution Centre at 7031 York Road, in Richmond, British Columbia, with a projected opening date of April 2018. The new location will support approximately 100 new IKEA jobs and will fulfil orders for the four existing British Columbia and Alberta stores, as well as eCommerce purchases.

“As IKEA continues to grow, we recognize the importance of making the shopping experience more convenient and enjoyable for Canadians,” said IKEA Canada President Marsha Smith. “Building a stronger distribution network is one of the many ways we are ensuring we meet our customer’s expectations in western Canada.”

The new Customer Distribution Centre will further enable IKEA to have the products in the right location, closer to its customers. This will result in shorter delivery times for IKEA customers in western Canada, enabling a more positive shopping experience. More efficient distribution will also enable IKEA to contribute towards its sustainability goals outlined in the People & Planet Positive strategy. 

Jobs will be available in a variety of functions, including Logistics, Human Resources, Safety & Security and Operations. Recruitment will begin this fall and will be coordinated in stages to support the development of the building. New IKEA co-workers will be welcomed in to an engaging environment with a strong focus on people. Job vacancies will be available at www.IKEA.ca.

In 2015, IKEA Canada announced its ambition to double in size by 2025 and expand from coast to coast. A new store will open this fall in Halifax, followed by a store in Quebec City in summer 2018. The Vancouver area Customer Distribution Centre will be the third IKEA distribution centre in Canada. The retailer also operates facilities in the Montreal and Toronto areas. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

IKEA opening collection points on Vancouver Island: http://www.cheknews....-island-351806/
  • Kungsberg likes this

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Nice. Here's the press release:

Burlington, ON – Shopping at IKEA just got more convenient today for customers in Victoria, Kelowna, and Nanaimo, British Columbia with the launch of three Collection Points.

Customers can now shop online for IKEA home furnishings and have them delivered to their selected Collection Point for only $79, regardless of the size and value of their purchase. This means they will be able to ship as little as a single sofa or as much as an entire kitchen for a flat rate and represents significant savings over the average home delivery fee of $170. Customers who wish to take advantage of home delivery can still do so, with the delivery fees remaining the same.

“Our ambition is to become more accessible to as many Canadians as possible,” said IKEA Canada President Marsha Smith. “The launch of three Collection Points for British Columbia is a great way to provide our customers with a more convenient shopping experience.”

The Collection Points are not IKEA stores and are owned by third party service provider XPO. While they do not have any products available for purchase, Collection Points allow IKEA to make shopping easier in markets that have been identified as having potential.

“In such a large country, it is important to offer a variety of solutions we can use to make shopping easier for Canadians,” said Smith. “Launching these locations was a natural next step to make shopping online at www.IKEA.ca affordable for many more British Columbia residents.”

It is IKEA’s aim to make the brand more accessible and convenient for the many Canadians, through increased service offerings like Collection Points, Pick-up and order points, Click & Collect, improvements in eCommerce and customer-focused distribution. IKEA hopes to provide its customers with a positive IKEA experience in every touchpoint.

IKEA Canada is committed to having a positive impact in the communities in which it operates. IKEA has made a $10,000 to the Red Cross on behalf of the Richmond and Coquitlam IKEA stores to assist with the relief and recovery efforts connected with the wildfires in British Columbia. IKEA will also support reforestation efforts through its partnership with Tree Canada.

In 2015, IKEA Canada announced an ambitious plan to double in size by 2025. To achieve this goal, the retailer will open new stores in new locations and also introduce some new formats over the next 10 years. The first new store on this expansion journey will be IKEA Halifax, set to open in fall 2017, followed by Quebec City in late summer 2018.

ABOUT IKEA CANADA
IKEA Group is a leading home furnishing retailer with 343 stores in more than 28 countries worldwide, which are visited by 783 million people every year. IKEA Canada has 12 stores, an eCommerce virtual store, 6 Pick-up and order points and 14 ollection Points. The company also recently announced plans to open stores in Halifax and Quebec City. Last year, IKEA Canada welcomed 28 million visitors to its stores and 88 million visitors to the IKEA.ca website. Founded in 1943, IKEA’s business philosophy is to offer a wide range of products of good design and function at prices so low, the majority of people can afford them. For more information on IKEA Canada, please visit: www.IKEA.ca.

ABOUT THE COLLECTION POINTS:
Victoria – XPO, 2205 Keating Cross Road, Sannichton, V8M 2A5
Kelowna – XPO, 2255 Norris Road South, Kelowna, V1X 4R2
Nanaimo – XPO, 4386 Boban Drive, Nanaimo, V8T 6A7

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

$79 is not bad. Now we need an app that groups people to buy together to group orders.

Like Tinder.

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

Hold on. If I open a warehouse next door... and charge people $50 to go in on my order...

I group 200 orders a week.... I charge $50 each. That's $10,000. So I gross $44,000 a month. I have to pay for my staff, my warehouse and forklift... and $80 for each order I place.

#137 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm sure IKEA will put some 'not available for resale clause' in the order form unfortunately. 

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

I'm sure IKEA will put some 'not available for resale clause' in the order form unfortunately.

I wonder what this does to www.add2cart.com

On one hand they could land their whole weekly order here for only $79, prepicked and delivered...

#139 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

I bet add2cart and the frugals will be hurting with this change, although they had to see it coming. That being said, at $79 per order, perhaps they'll specialize in smaller item ordering. They also to delivery/pickup from many other locations, so they don't have all their eggs in one basket.

• shoeflack likes this

#140 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

I bet add2cart and the frugals will be hurting with this change, although they had to see it coming. That being said, at $79 per order, perhaps they'll specialize in smaller item ordering. They also to delivery/pickup from many other locations, so they don't have all their eggs in one basket.

I think this is the answer. If I want to get something smaller, the $30+10% fee for add2cart still beats this. I'm not going to pay a $79 delivery fee from IKEA for a $100 dresser that would cost me $40 or less through add2cart.

Edited by shoeflack, 31 July 2017 - 04:25 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users