Photo

Queen Mother - Mermaid Wharf

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

Anybody been there? It's a comfortable place. They have good calamari.

I went there one time because Canoe was too crowded.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

Never knew it even existed :shock:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

Heh, I went there once--we were the only table!

Good food--recommended.

There's another one in Toronto.

Man, this forum is cooking!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

I had a meeting with the owner once. Nice guy, but he was very stressed at the slow start the place got.

They have two in Toronto that are legendary.

I believe they also have illegal third-party signage on the old Fogg and Sudds building.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

Old Fogg and Sudds...Where that be?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

Across from Swans, slightly north, maybe was called Diesel nightclub, maybe Machineworks once.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

Ohhh...

Know it all.

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

Old Fogg and Sudds...Where that be?

Ahhhh I remember that place.....I still dream of the Fudruckers Burgers though!!!

#9 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:31 AM

They have Fogg and Sudds up in Campbell River. I never went there personally. Anyway, I have no idea where Queen Mother is. Or Mermaid Warf... :|

I'm in need of some gooood calamari...mmm.

#10 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:07 AM

I had a meeting with the owner once. Nice guy, but he was very stressed at the slow start the place got.

Perhaps it has something to do with it being at the far end of the building far away from the road? Then again, maybe people are put off by having to step over the guys sitting around the men's shelter entrance on the Store Street side.

I can understand why he might have felt stressed. He just had a whack of work done on his Beach Drive house at the same time he opened this restaurant. I imagine he might have had cashflow issues at the time.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

Monday Magazine Letter:

Queen mum yum

Re: Restaurant review, October 5-12

I was lucky enough to travel to Vancouver Island this fall and, luckily, had the chance to visit the Queen Mother Waterside Cafe where I had the most wonderful dinner, an enjoyable tea session with a lovely tasty lunch the next day. I enjoyed the sunshine on the terraces and watching the kayaks and barges passing-just exactly as you described it in your article!

I was very happy to discover your article in Monday, because I totally agree with every word you wrote.

Katy Pickvance, England
-----------------

I posted this to make an off-topic point--tourists love the activity in the harbour--including the industrial barges some would ban in the name of "quaintness". Remember the hotel reviews where the tourists raved about being able to watch the seaplanes arrive and depart from their windows?

Let's stop assuming we know what tourists want to see!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:39 AM

I have no idea where Queen Mother is. Or Mermaid Warf... :|

409 Swift Street. Go to Store street, turn left (or walk) down Swift Street. It's across from the Canoe Club in the Mermaid Wharf condo building at the bottom, water side. There's a harbourside outdoor seating area.

OFF TOPIC: Those Mermaid Wharf studios are small! But they have lots of cupboard space in the kitchens, and some units have private rooftop "real estate".

#13 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

I have no idea where Queen Mother is. Or Mermaid Warf... :|

409 Swift Street. Go to Store street, turn left (or walk) down Swift Street. It's across from the Canoe Club in the Mermaid Wharf condo building at the bottom, water side. There's a harbourside outdoor seating area.

OFF TOPIC: Those Mermaid Wharf studios are small! But they have lots of cupboard space in the kitchens, and some units have private rooftop "real estate".

I've been, and I really liked it - they have a drinks night social every month.. I think this month's was tonight.

#14 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

I've been, and I really liked it - they have a drinks night social every month.. I think this month's was tonight.

The event last night was [url=http://www.biothinking.com/greendrinks/index.php?country=Canada&city=Victoria,%20BC:4b767]Green Drinks[/url:4b767].

#15 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

[quote name='Walter Moar'][quote name='"rayne_k":86ba6']I've been, and I really liked it - they have a drinks night social every month.. I think this month's was tonight.[/quote]
The event last night was [url=http://www.biothinking.com/greendrinks/index.php?country=Canada&city=Victoria,%20BC:86ba6]Green Drinks[/url:86ba6].[/quote:86ba6]

Ahh have you been? I keep on meaning to check it out (so far have only done lunches), how is it?

#16 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:34 PM

pardon me.

#17 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Ahh have you been? I keep on meaning to check it out (so far have only done lunches), how is it?

I have not been to Green Drinks, I haven't even been to the restaurant at all since it changed name (owners, menu, etc). Something else on the long list of restaurants to get to!

#18 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

I went there recently and it's a nice place with good food. Their sesame tempura batter Calamari is tremendous. If you go between 3PM and 6PM appetizers are just $6.

Here's a link to the restaurant:

[url=http://www.qmwaterside.ca:bd220]Queen Mother Waterside Cafe[/url:bd220]

Local breweries on tap of course. Their chefs are listed on the menu. I've been riding those harbor ferry boats around lately and trying things and I ended up here. Very glad I did.

My first impression was how good the place smelled. The delicious smells like that from the kitchen are a good sign. Great menu - very creative. Right next door to the Canoe and Chintz & Co. However, it's behind the Streetlink shelter, so you may have to pass the gauntlet of bums if you are walking.

#19 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:17 AM

I go off for a holiday and upon my return I discover sadly that my favorite downtown restaurant has closed. "For Lease" signs adorned the place - closed. ****. It was a really good restaurant with good food. What could have happened? I hope the two great chefs from there get another job in town. If anyone knows the details, please post. I'm betting it's just the usual shortage of cash, but I think perhaps the proximity to the Streetlink shelter limited the customer base. If a place serving this quality of food can go out of business, something has got to have gone wrong. Maybe an embezzler, thief, or some bizarre anomoly busted it out?

#20 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

I only noticed that something was up because Green Drinks (which is on hiatus for August) had its last meeting there in June and will pick up again in September next door at the Canoe Brew Pub.

The restaurant was popular, although I went twice (for lunch) and was seriously underwhelmed by the food. And the service (which was poor and almost surly) outright annoyed me. Tastes differ, I guess. But maybe (separate from the food) the poor service was indicative of something going wrong management-wise?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users