2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#2081 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

The party has no leader, and in this instance, considering the election results, the Liberal party will do nothing out of fear of losing MLA's.

Plecas was one of several who would have walked, and quite likely cemented the party's future for the next decade. Clark did what she did to save the party, literally.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2082 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

The party just needs to nudge left slightly. You can't ignore the reality of the increasing Surrey ethnic vote.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 August 2017 - 09:05 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2083 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

The party has no leader, and in this instance, considering the election results, the Liberal party will do nothing out of fear of losing MLA's.

Plecas was one of several who would have walked, and quite likely cemented the party's future for the next decade. Clark did what she did to save the party, literally.

I think that this comment about Plecas says it all. 

He was first elected to the provincial legislature in 2013. A prominent criminologist, he was considered a lead candidate when he first ran for office. But although he led a panel on crime reduction in 2014, he was never appointed to cabinet, holding only a pair of lesser parliamentary secretary positions.

​The party will get a new leader and it will be business as usual. 

• John M. likes this

#2084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

It won't be business as usual until the Liberals win 50 seats. Until then every MLA is sacrosanct.
  • Nostalgic Victoria likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2085 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

The party just needs to nudge left slightly. You can't ignore the reality of the increasing Surrey ethnic vote.

Too far left, and they'll lose a lot of voters, myself included.

#2086 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Oh yeah, no need to shift left, they just need to reign in the social services a little to:

A) show tangible results for the services currently provided (including criminal justice) and
B) provide more help to those who truly need it.

And that includes bringing back a mental health strategy and passing laws that make being a criminal harder. It's too easy to break the rules in this province and enter the revolving door of "justice."
  • Nostalgic Victoria and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.

#2087 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Revolving doors of justice is cheaper than lengthy incarceration periods.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2088 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

^Not when murderers walk free because their case has been delayed too long because of the overload of the justice system.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2089 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Has that happened?

#2090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

Double time served while waiting for trial means some hardcore criminals walk only months after sentencing.

The revolving door of justice needs to be addressed. Criminality should be rewarded with appropriately long jail sentences and the forfeiture of assets to the criminal justice system to pay for the cost of maintaining the inmate.

Know it all.

#2091 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

not just hardcore but also white collarasll kinds of offenses

1 1/2 or 2x credit is fair in my eyes being locked up for year without seeing an outcome is difficult time

Edited by HB, 07 August 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#2092 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

No it's not... it's real time severed. If you can't make bail, not my issue.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2093 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

not just hardcore but also white collarasll kinds of offenses

1 1/2 or 2x credit is fair in my eyes being locked up for year without seeing an outcome is difficult time

I agree.  Considering you get zero compensation for your time locked up if you are acquitted at trial.

#2094 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

No it's not... it's real time severed. If you can't make bail, not my issue.

But there is also something to this too.  If you can not make bail it's because you are a serious repeat offender, you are accused of an additional criminal act while on bail or probation, and/or it's a very serious crime like murder.  And/or nobody will stand for you to pay bail or a surety.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 August 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#2095 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yeah.. So?!? Maybe you shouldn't be such an a@@ to begin with.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2096 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Has that happened?

Yes it has, unfortunately, and it looks like it will happen again.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...cases-1.4163829

Edited by LJ, 07 August 2017 - 07:24 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

Weaver contests that Horgan's pitch to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour by 2021 is "prejudicial" to a commission both party leaders agreed would be setup to assess the future of wage increases in the province.

More: http://vibrantvictor...-ndp-agreement/

Know it all.

#2098 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

The more Weaver can disagree with NDP policies, the better he positions the BC Greens as being independent-minded. Being too cozy with the NDP, will not serve them well with voters.

• VicHockeyFan and John M. like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2099 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Weaver contests that Horgan's pitch to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour by 2021 is "prejudicial" to a commission both party leaders agreed would be setup to assess the future of wage increases in the province.

More: http://vibrantvictor...-ndp-agreement/

I guess that Weaver hasn't figured out yet that he isn't co-Premier. 

#2100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

The more Weaver can disagree with NDP policies, the better he positions the BC Greens as being independent-minded. Being too cozy with the NDP, will not serve them well with voters.

The thing is, this is part of their partnership agreement.  It's in writing.  It's not a new issue that they have differing opinions on, it's a clear breach of their deal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users