Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#2101 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

The thing is, this is part of their partnership agreement.  It's in writing.  It's not a new issue that they have differing opinions on, it's a clear breach of their deal.

And I expect the first of many. What is Weaver going to do about it? The party has no money so they cannot afford another election and even if they went that route, people are just going to look at them as NDP patsies so they will likely lose 1-2 seats in the process.

#2102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

And I expect the first of many. What is Weaver going to do about it? The party has no money so they cannot afford another election and even if they went that route, people are just going to look at them as NDP patsies so they will likely lose 1-2 seats in the process.

Well, presumably the NDP will be the one to pull the trigger, and they can say it's over one of these things.  It would make more sense to do it soon (in the next 18 months) while there are still handing out goodies, rather than in 4 years when their financial largesse is actually showing.

"I know the good people of BC did not want to go to the polls again so soon.  And for that I very humbly apologize.  But it's come to a point where both other parties are being absolutely obstructionist in the face of our grand plans to bring more prosperity to working people in BC, with increased minimum wages, increased welfare payments and more spending on solid investments in housing, healthcare and education.  We are therefore going to the polls to ask for a fresh mandate for our NDP government to continue in this direction over the next 4 years".  -  Horgan circa late 2018 or early 2019.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 August 2017 - 08:40 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2103 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

^ I think that he would prefer to have Weaver pull the trigger and that isn't out of the question given the egos involved.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

The most effective thing Weaver could ever do is to vote against Horgan. No press release, no big speech. Just a vote against Horgan.

And the most damning thing Weaver could ever do is to give the Liberals a 44.

The Kingmaker has far more muscle under the current setup than we're likely to see in action, but I wouldn't discount his grumblings as mere smoke and mirrors to give the impression that the Greens are still relevant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2105 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

It'll be fun to watch the Liberals/anti-NDP play the role of the Loyal Defenders of the Left Wing Agreement. :D

#2106 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

^ I think there is more at stake than Weaver trying to prove he is relevant. The Greens desperately want a proportional representation system. If the electorate sees no value in a coalition (ie the majority party just does what it wants anyways) then the public won't support a change. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2107 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

The most effective thing Weaver could ever do is to vote against Horgan. No press release, no big speech. Just a vote against Horgan.

And the most damning thing Weaver could ever do is to give the Liberals a 44.

The Kingmaker has far more muscle under the current setup than we're likely to see in action, but I wouldn't discount his grumblings as mere smoke and mirrors to give the impression that the Greens are still relevant.

That would be pretty dumb on Weaver's part. I'm sure Horgan would have no problem dissolving the legislature while the Liberals don't have a leader and the Greens are broke from the last election. 

• jonny likes this

#2108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Wouldn't that destroy the credibility of the BC NDP, though? To kick a man when he's already down?

And I'm referring to the Liberals here, of course.

Anyhow, when you have a coalition government immediately tripping up by not respect the agreement between leaders of the coalition that doesn't bode well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2109 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

^ I think there is more at stake than Weaver trying to prove he is relevant. The Greens desperately want a proportional representation system. If the electorate sees no value in a coalition (ie the majority party just does what it wants anyways) then the public won't support a change. 

Yup, Weaver has to hang on till the next Municipal Election where they were promised the Prop Rep ballot. If he pulls the plug before then, then he's toast

#2110 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

And now Gordon Wilson is suing Horgan and the Province for $5M for defamation, things are just going great.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2111 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

And now Gordon Wilson is suing Horgan and the Province for $5M for defamation, things are just going great.

What do any of them care, the taxpayer will be funding both sides of the lawsuit.

#2112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

Offer him some sort of position within this government and all will be forgiven. Wilson has exactly zero principles.

#2113 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

B.C. Premier John Horgan has condemned a rally planned by far-right protesters in Vancouver, saying British Columbians — and Canadians — "must stand united and denounce them in the strongest possible terms."

"Hate has no place in our province. We reject all forms of racism, discrimination, intolerance and bigotry," he said in a statement

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...otest-1.4253734

#2114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

British Columbia ends 2016-17 fiscal year with $2.7 billion surplus

http://nationalpost....fb-8a5525d31aaf

"VICTORIA — The B.C. government ended the last fiscal year with a surplus of $2.7 billion, largely in line with an unaudited financial picture released about two months ago by the province’s former Liberal government."

"The province’s GDP grew by an estimated 3.7 per cent in 2016, and James says private-sector forecasts expect B.C. to be among the top provincial economic performers in 2017 and 2018."

"The Liberals released an unaudited financial update in June that pegged the surplus at $2.8 billion."

Know it all.

#2115 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Offer him some sort of position within this government and all will be forgiven. Wilson has exactly zero principles.

Yes. Well-known and well-documented, a career weasel.
  • Nparker likes this

#2116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

...Well-known and well-documented, a career weasel.

So how do you defame/slander someone whose political principles are as flexible as a Slinky™?

#2117 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

So how do you defame/slander someone whose political principles are as flexible as a Slinky™?

Thats easy, you single them out for special treatment and create a public spectacle and make all sorts of condescending smug statements without a basis of fact...It was a public execution and revenge for past sins against the party. They just couldnt keep their mouths shut and cancel his contract along with the hundreds of other appointees and move on. 

#2118 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

The courts are gonna toss out Wilson's suit.

#2119 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

The courts are gonna toss out Wilson's suit.

Will never get to court. Wilson will get a nice 'handshake' and everyone will wash their hands of this. The settlement will be confidential so you will never know what it stated either.

Edited by spanky123, 22 August 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#2120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

So Wilson will once again prove he is morally and ethically bankrupt.

Edited by Nparker, 22 August 2017 - 12:35 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users