2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1781 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

I would suppose voting against things in the green and NDP platform would be naked opportunism as well though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1782 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

CC is happy to adopt (or pretend to adopt) most of the policies she campaigned against just as long as she gets to stay Premier.

That does not appear to be an option.   It's either an NDP/Green go of it, or it's off to the polls.

I like the one guy that phoned into CFAX today, he says "don't keep saying nobody wants another election, I WANT an election rather than this deadlock".  He never said which way he leaned.  But I sort of agreed.  Ya it's $45M or whatever to run one, but it only happens once every 65 years.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1783 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

So since as far back as I can remember the Liberal mantra, not unfairly, was "be afraid of the NDP because of spending." Now, it seems like they're taking on after the NDP. I get the need to pivot the platform a bit, but the first throne speech post election is an inappropriate place to do that. Further, it seems some issues they've turned on now they wouldn't put on the table with the Greens.

I'd never vote Liberal anyways, but this makes me more inclined to never vote Liberal.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#1784 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

While everybody is running around with their hair on fire regarding Liberal “hypocrisy”, Norm Spector had a good take (as usual) this morning on CBC. He thought the Throne Speech was “pretty astute”.

To paraphrase Mr. Spector, Christy Clark drew the line in favour of Site C, Kinder Morgan, no tax increases and balanced budgets. She shored up her weaknesses in terms of social programs, while reminding everybody what Liberal strengths are (low taxes, pro-business, balanced budgets). She is essentially preparing for the 2018 election.

The challenge now will be for John Horgan to deliver on his promises without gutting fiscal sustainability and pissing the electorate off with tax increases. 

#1785 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

So since as far back as I can remember the Liberal mantra, not unfairly, was "be afraid of the NDP because of spending." Now, it seems like they're taking on after the NDP. I get the need to pivot the platform a bit, but the first throne speech post election is an inappropriate place to do that. Further, it seems some issues they've turned on now they wouldn't put on the table with the Greens.

I'd never vote Liberal anyways, but this makes me more inclined to never vote Liberal.

Spending is fine if you can afford it. The NDP's problem has always been spending way too much on stupid things, jacking up taxes and thinking the government can solve every problem through forever increasing funding.

#1786 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

I have two basic questions for Clark about the throne speech:

1. If there is another election shortly, will she and the Liberals campaign based on that throne speech?

2. How do they expect to pay for all these new promises?

#1787 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

1. If there is another election shortly, will she and the Liberals campaign based on that throne speech?

1. YES, she will have to

2. Through increased prosperity from Site C, Kinder Morgan, etc. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1788 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

While everybody is running around with their hair on fire regarding Liberal “hypocrisy”, Norm Spector had a good take (as usual) this morning on CBC. He thought the Throne Speech was “pretty astute”.

To paraphrase Mr. Spector, Christy Clark drew the line in favour of Site C, Kinder Morgan, no tax increases and balanced budgets. She shored up her weaknesses in terms of social programs, while reminding everybody what Liberal strengths are (low taxes, pro-business, balanced budgets). She is essentially preparing for the 2018 election.

The challenge now will be for John Horgan to deliver on his promises without gutting fiscal sustainability and pissing the electorate off with tax increases. 

And this is why the left keeps losing elections. The average working sod is more concerned about trying to feed their family then they are about what some media or social elite thinks about changing policies. If someone offers to make their lives even a little easier then they will jump on it. Clark is simply doing what every slick politician does because it is effective.

• jonny and johnk like this

#1789 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

They are also allegedly finding out (apparently audited year-end financials are coming out soon) that the financial situation of the Provincial government is rosier than previously forecast.

#1790 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

If the election is really soon they are going to have to own those hastily adopted policies. The longer that passes between now and a new election the more likely that they will back off some of those policies and return to previous positions. And of course if they change leaders I expect they will have a whole new policy platform.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1791 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

That does not appear to be an option.   It's either an NDP/Green go of it, or it's off to the polls.

I like the one guy that phoned into CFAX today, he says "don't keep saying nobody wants another election, I WANT an election rather than this deadlock".  He never said which way he leaned.  But I sort of agreed.  Ya it's $45M or whatever to run one, but it only happens once every 65 years.

Or you could put all the MLA's in the chambers with paint ball guns firing the party colours, and see where they all end up.

• nerka likes this

#1792 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

If the election is really soon they are going to have to own those hastily adopted policies. The longer that passes between now and a new election the more likely that they will back off some of those policies and return to previous positions. And of course if they change leaders I expect they will have a whole new policy platform.

They're not really crazy policy changes. Eliminate bridge tolls, raise the carbon tax the Liberals created and more funding for social programs that already exist. Meh.

#1793 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

If the election is really soon they are going to have to own those hastily adopted policies. The longer that passes between now and a new election the more likely that they will back off some of those policies and return to previous positions. And of course if they change leaders I expect they will have a whole new policy platform.

After 6 months they can claim that the NDP/Greens ruined the economy and that the promises are no longer viable.

In case anyone has noticed, the price of oil is back down to $43. Any sign of recovery that was occurring in Alberta or prospects for near term LNG improvements are starting to slip away.

#1794 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

I suspect the Liberals are counting on an election soon, and are looking forward to using a talking point of "Well, clearly the NDP/Greens don't support these policies, because we proposed them and they rejected them."

Of course, the fact that magically money has appeared to pay for these promises is convenient, when during the campaign there wasn't money at all for such unicorn promises from the wacky left.

#1795 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Bring on the next election, for God's sake.

We're back to a two party system once again thanks to Weaver's missed once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So now that his party is no longer relevant we deserve another election to once and for all decide who we want to govern this province as opposed to this motley crew nonsense.
  • Dale S likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1796 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

It could never have been a 3 party regardless they needed to side with one or the other. ..Christie new promises make her look like a bigger idiot and puppet than she already was I wish she would lose that permanent sh*t-eating grin that she always sports

I mean she could be taking about bc children dying of starvation or an old woman being besten to death and she would be smiling while discussing it

Edited by HB, 25 June 2017 - 11:24 AM.

• HB likes this

#1797 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

^huh?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1798 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

From a source I was told today that the LG is most likely to call for a new election and that call would come on July 5th with an election day on August 1st.

#1799 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

I doubt that source because it would be so unlawful and contrary to Constitutional convention to have already made a decision like that on the part of the LG. Seems unbelievable.
  • Hotel Mike and AndrewReeve like this

#1800 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

I doubt that source because it would be so unlawful and contrary to Constitutional convention to have already made a decision like that on the part of the LG. Seems unbelievable.

It is very much within the powers of the LG and constitutional.    The issue is can anyone else form a stable and ongoing government that acts within the normal parliamentary procedure?  

It is actually very rare for the government to change from the largest to party to smaller party in the Westminster system, I can only think of one example when this has happened in Canada and that was Ontario in 1985

I think an early election would most likely lead to an NDP majority 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users