2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#481 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hey Gabriola gets their bridge under this plan. And make it free for them but no access to visitors unless they pay. To the rest of the Island.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#482 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Oh I'm so glad that this conversation has been brought up again...  that alone would guarantee that I would never vote conservative.  Looks like the plan was hatched in a bar on a cocktail napkin.

• Nparker likes this

#483 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

It kinda does, doesn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#484 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

I think it just shows how completely out of touch the BC Conservative party is.

#485 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

If she laughed then she has no business working as a union rep. Unions officers are elected by the membership. General meetings are where budgets and policies are approved. If her union is doing something she doesn't agree with she has the opportunity to make change just as the BC voters do in May.

She is entitled to her opinion and you realize that some folks don't have to be fans of the policies and backroom deals to represent and support her co-workers who happened to acclaim her for the position. There are far too many special interests taking over and the core concept is being steamrolled by the BDS and Leap Manifesto zealots. Another close friend of mine was very involved with Unifor and he quit after the Goon Squad started harassing him and his co-workers and making not so very veiled threats because he fought them on a betrayal of bargaining where his local was sacrificed for political reasons. So don't tell me it's all Unicorns and sweet roses and rainbows. Some are good, some are not
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#486 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

So don't tell me it's all Unicorns and sweet roses and rainbows. Some are good, some are not

Democracy is never, "Unicorns and sweet roses and rainbows." It is always messy and requires people to actually fight to keep it.

Democracy also means sometimes you don't get the "government" you want. That doesn't make it any less of a democracy.

• VicHockeyFan and nerka like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

It doesn't help when a union you pay dues to doesn't like the government you want and gives another group of politicians your hard earned money.

Being a unionized worker doesn't mean you have any desire to stand behind their token talking heads, but the union doesn't care, they won't even spend a proportionate amount of their political donations to represent their large and varied membership. It's the union's way, and that's that.

Wouldn't it make sense to query their members and assigne proportionate political donations?
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#488 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

...Wouldn't it make sense to query their members and assign proportionate political donations?

Do corporations query their shareholders before making political donations?

• tedward and nerka like this

#489 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Do corporations query their shareholders before making political donations?

The difference is shareholders are voluntary unions not so much. You don't like the direction of the company you simply sell your shares. Don't like union involvement in BDS not so easy to do anything
  • VicHockeyFan, jonny and Awaiting Juno like this

#490 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

...Don't like union involvement in BDS not so easy to do anything

All union members have the option to stand for election and of course can vote out representatives at election time.

• tedward and Awaiting Juno like this

#491 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

The difference is shareholders are voluntary unions not so much. You don't like the direction of the company you simply sell your shares. Don't like union involvement in BDS not so easy to do anything

To use the VHF and Mike logic, you could quit and move to a small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere and work there?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#492 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

All union members have the option to stand for election and of course can vote out representatives at election time.

Yup but sometimes the goons discourage dissent

#493 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Oh give it up, "goons"?!?! What is this Chicago in the 1930's?

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and nerka like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#494 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

No different than the "goons" (aka board of directors) who influence shareholders in a corporate setting.

• tedward likes this

#495 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

thats what a goon would say
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#496 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

Agreed.  Apathy is far more prevalent in modern unions than "goons".

• rjag likes this

#497 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

...Apathy is far more prevalent in modern unions than "goons".

Alas, this is more or less true.

#498 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

So, without giving identity away a 125 member local of Unifor 2 years ago voted 95% in favour for a pension plan in lieu of a pay raise for 3 years, this came from the members themselves. The local union boss in charge of a 500+ member local as well as this local ignored their democratic vote for what they wanted and negotiated a pay raise for them and then announced it to the media that it was a done deal before it went back to the membership, they were told they were missing the bigger picture of the larger local of which they were a 'satellite' of,

The members realized they had been played gave notice they were going to join a different union and Unifor head office got wind and pressured the other union to reject their application.

They decided to join a different local instead and when it went for a vote at the union hall the 'goons' were standing at the door videotaping each member that went in and demanding union cards etc and only admitted 1 member at a time to vote etc. End result quite a few members didn't want the hassle so didn't stay to vote

Further, messages were left on car windshields outside of member homes that were organizing the change letting them know that they were being watched etc tires were let down, others were covered in yoghurt and 1 had rotten meat put in their mailbox

So, yes when I say goons I mean goons

Edited by rjag, 23 March 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#499 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Rotten meat, or just a few days past the "best before" date?  If it was the latter it might just have been the normal Oxford Foods home delivery program.   :banana:

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#500 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

Oh I'm so glad that this conversation has been brought up again...  that alone would guarantee that I would never vote conservative.  Looks like the plan was hatched in a bar on a cocktail napkin.

That's right. Gabriolans merely want unlimited free 24/7 ferry service. Is that so much to ask?

• Matt R. and thundergun like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users