Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#501 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

That's right. Gabriolans merely want unlimited free 24/7 ferry service. Is that so much to ask?

I don't know where you're getting your information from....not one person I know here has ever asked for free ferry service.  Even with the bridge debate it didn't occur to any Gabriolans that there wouldn't be a toll on a bridge, only the gov't came up with that scheme.

#502 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

Unions should be non-partisan. Like PEA at UVic for example: https://pea.org/node/348 (initiative 3, item 3). 

#503 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Unions should be non-partisan.

What a load of codswallop. You are asking the impossible for a number of reasons. The biggest being that the mere existence of unions is a political act. we would not have weekends, sick leave and a host of rights and benefits if unions had not engaged in political actions that benefited everyone.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#504 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Unions should be non-partisan...

As long as corporations are non-partisan as well.

Edited by Nparker, 27 March 2017 - 09:13 PM.

• johnk and Daveyboy like this

#505 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

I see lanforod's point though I would caution "non-partisan" is not the same thing as being "political". Unions can absolutely be political without being partisan.

It might be idealistic in a sense, but I agree unions can fight for workers' interests without anchoring themselves on one side of the fence. It's natural that a lot of what they fight for aligns them with left-wing views but it doesn't need to confine unions to being left-wing.

• jonny likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#506 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Precisely.

#507 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Wasn't the Ford Motor Company sort of famous (among other things, of course) for giving its workers the weekend off?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#508 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

Hello,
Time for Kitty to start paying for its own litter. I have designed a christy clark cat scratching post and looking for some cats around victoria to model with it. Shoot takes about 30-60mins depending on how quickly your cat loses interest. THIS IS A REAL GIG. Looking to do a couple more photoshoots before friday. Photos will be used on social media and as part of a nationwide press release. 

CHECK US OUT @POLITIKATS ON INSTAGRAM

https://victoria.cra...6075893148.html

00l0l_iuNPSqC3kRE_600x450.jpg

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#509 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

You know, I could not care less about a half dozen health ministry firings.  I'm tired of this issue.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#510 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

You know, I could not care less about a half dozen health ministry firings.  I'm tired of this issue.

Tell that to the family of the person who took his own life over the issue. I suspect they have rather strong feelings about it.

• tedward, GabriolaGirl, shoeflack and 1 other like this

#511 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

Tell that to the family of the person who took his own life over the issue. I suspect they have rather strong feelings about it.

Since that happened, 12,000 other people killed themselves too, in Canada.  Lots was over money, some over work.  And since then, thousands of other people have lost their job, some unfairly.  But to keep hearing of this over and over again, who the freak cares.  Plus today's report says there was zero political interference.  

For gosh sakes, you fired people, move on.  I've been fired before, look at me.

#512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

...I've been fired before, look at me.

Even more reason to support the Ombudsman's findings.

• VicHockeyFan and shoeflack like this

#513 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

It's one thing to be fired, but it was the significance of what they were accused in doing that ruined their lives.  Good luck getting a job anywhere else.

I'm glads it's been all over the press.  

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#514 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

It's one thing to be fired, but it was the significance of what they were accused in doing that ruined their lives.  Good luck getting a job anywhere else.

Some have been re-hired though... as far back as 3 years ago.

Also:

The government began backtracking on the firings in 2014 and has settled five wrongful dismissal and defamation lawsuits out of court. Two of the people fired resumed working for the ministry.

https://thetyee.ca/N...Rehires-Worker/

#515 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

The ombudsperson's report is important.  Beyond the direct impact on the 8 directly involved there was a huge cultural impact on the organization.  The ministry staff need to have their experience validated and reconciled - they need to be assured that it will "never happen again" so that they can move on with the work that they need to do.  There's a reconciliation that needs to happen and this is part of that - the only reason it has taken so long, is because of how much the government has dragged its feet in getting to this point. 

There's a real need for the group that handles data to feel like they can reasonably do their jobs - the health of the province depends on it, and if this moves that organization closer to being able to get back to business, it's a good thing. 

• Nparker, tedward, shoeflack and 1 other like this

#516 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

In the words of a previous mentor, many, many moons ago - "Justice must not only be done, it must be seen to be done." 

• Nparker, tedward and jonny like this

#517 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:29 AM

And beyond the people fired, their families, and their colleagues still at the ministry, there's the taxpaying public that has had to foot the bill for all of this and continues to pay the salaries of the people responsible, the ones happy to occupy positions of responsibility just long as they don't have to make themselves accountable for anything.

#518 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

^ Right. But nobody is being discuplined.

I just said I'm tired of it in the media. A minor personnel issue in the news for three years.

#519 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

A minor personnel issue in the news for three years.

Yeah, no. "A minor personnel issue" would be a staff member late twice last week, or trying to find out who has been eating Dave's sandwiches in the lunch room fridge.

A mass firing with questions of political motivations, conspiracy and lawsuits? That is news. especially as we head into an election to determine the fate of the government in question.

• Jill and John M. like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#520 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

^ whatever, I find it boring.  Thousands of people in the province have been fired wrongfully over the same period of time this snoozer has been in the news.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users