Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1201 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

6.  "I voted Green this past election" - That's nice.   Perhaps you should have considered the implications of your vote before voting?  If you don't like the potential of a coalition, or the green policies actually holding some sway, then why vote for them?

I have to agree with you on this one. Going into the election, the likelihood of a NDP-Green coalition being on the table was probably the second or third most likely outcome.

If you voted Green as a way of sticking it to the NDP and protesting Clark as the Liberal leader, you should be taken out behind the woodshed (and given a stern talking to...) along with the 2,100 fools in Courteney-Comox who voted for the BC Conservative candidate.

• tedward, LeoVictoria and nerka like this

#1202 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

100%. 

Anything less is either partisanship or ignorance, or both.

Let's be clear, union and corporate donations should be banned in BC as well.

• LeoVictoria likes this

#1203 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

I voted Green to try to get another Green MLA in, and deny the NDP one riding.  If it had worked in my riding, we would have what we more of less have now, it would be 43-40-4.  But it did not work, my riding went NDP, so we have 43-41-3.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1204 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

I voted Green to try to get another Green MLA in, and deny the NDP one riding.  If it had worked in my riding, we would have what we more of less have now, it would be 43-40-4.  But it did not work, my riding went NDP, so we have 43-41-3.

Surely you realized a Green-NDP coalition was a possibility, though.

#1205 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

What's coming out about Tides and LeadNow should infuriate everybody. If it doesn't, your anti-Canadian oil bias is showing. Foreign interests should not be influencing any Canadian election and these groups should be wholeheartedly denounced. Full stop. End of discussion.

Agreed.  If true.   The report about LeadNow was created by a disgruntled Conservative MP that lost her seat..   So I'm waiting for a more balanced story to uncover the facts.   http://vancouversun....er-city-affairs   Doesn't seem certain what the facts actually are in this case.   Certainly if there was foreign interference it needs to be banned.

• tedward and jonny like this

#1206 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

100% they should be. I'm all for that.

I did as VHF did. I voted strategically, and I voted the way I did largely because the NDP kept saying "do not vote for the Greens, you're wasting your vote." That's undemocratic and quite frankly frustrated me to the point of propping up the Greens among my peers.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1207 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Agreed.  If true.   The report about LeadNow was created by a disgruntled Conservative MP that lost her seat..   So I'm waiting for a more balanced story to uncover the facts.   http://vancouversun....er-city-affairs   Doesn't seem certain what the facts actually are in this case.   Certainly if there was foreign interference it needs to be banned.

Disgruntled, recently fired people are often the best whistle blowers! :)

Hopefully Elections Canada gets to the bottom of this and any loopholes are closed by Trudeau & Co.

• LeoVictoria likes this

#1208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Oh gawd.

The Tides Centre/foundation, which orchestrated Leadnow, is backed by left-wing activist George Soros to the tune of (at least) $3.5-million. Soros is heavily involved in funding pro-Democrat and pro-left organizations in the US and abroad.

"Soros has over time handed over at least $3.5 million to the Tides Center, who in turn has given grants to the anti-capitalist Canadian magazine Adbusters." - https://www.rt.com/u...t-movement-893/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1209 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

10am update from Elections BC nothing new in Comox.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

Adam Stirling made a valid point on CFAX this morning.

Since the Liberals lost a sizeable chunk of the popular vote and the Greens gained a sizeable chunk of the popular vote, but the NDP stayed the same, one could easily assume that the Green surge was related to disenfranchised Liberals.
  • VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

Know it all.

#1211 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Adam Stirling made a valid point in CFAX this morning.

Since the Liberals lost a sizeable chunk of the popular vote and the Greens gained a sizeable chunk of the popular vote, but the NDP stayed the same, one could easily assume that the Green surge was related to disenfranchised Liberals.

Definitely. But it was also due to the reality that the Greens have become a legitimate third party, or at least jumped on the opportunity to do so in a highly contested election year. There was 9% lost among the Liberals, Conservatives, and Independents. The NDP took a measly 1% of that, while the Greens took 8%.

Unlike years past where Independents won seats and the Conservatives won a decent percentage of the popular vote, Independent candidates where the only group outside of the big 3 to collect more than 1% of the popular vote.

If the Greens can show some good leadership with three seats, I believe they can top 20% next election, and keep pulling from the Libs and NDP to do that.

#1212 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

A few years back the NDP toyed with a new name/image idea, but ultimately did not do it.  Might be a good time to look at that again.

• jonny likes this

#1213 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

If the Greens can show some good leadership with three seats, I believe they can top 20% next election, and keep pulling from the Libs and NDP to do that.

I think the revelation by the Globe and Mail that Weaver was soliciting large corporation donations will tarnish their reputation as the 'alternative' party.

#1214 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

A few years back the NDP toyed with a new name/image idea, but ultimately did not do it.  Might be a good time to look at that again.

What's so new about them anyway? Been around since the bloody 60's...

#1215 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

NDP lead grows to 148 in Courtenay-Comox as of the noon update. Still marked as In Progress though.

• VicHockeyFan and tedward like this

#1216 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

This thing might be over...

#1217 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

Another 586 votes to come in, but ya...looks like we have a minority government.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1218 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

I sure hope so. I think a minority will make things a lot clearer and provide an opportunity to make change to our electoral system.

The Greens will actually have to participate in governance and we will finally see where they actually stand on a host of issues. It will show if they are really a viable party or a vanity project.

A minority is the ONLY way that some form of PR will happen as Weaver has made it clear it is a priority and it must be if the Greens to are to solidify their standing. Without PR they risk being consigned to history in the next election (whenever that may be) if people choose to return to the historical dichotomy.

I also benefits the NDP as Horgan will have to provide leadership and cooperation that naysayers felt he lacked. I hope he proves the naysayers wrong.

• nerka likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1219 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

^ The Greens only have power if they choose to align with the NDP to defeat the Government on a confidence vote. Neither the NDP nor the Greens will want a quick return to the polls as their election funds have been depleted (and they will have less of an opportunity to grow those funds if finance reforms come in) and they will be blamed by the electorate for any redo unless the issue being voted upon is broadly influential.

#1220 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

But remember folks, there is nothing stopping the NDP and Liberals from forming a coalition, if they both hate the idea of electoral reform that Greens push (and I suspect they both do, down deep inside).

In fact there is nothing stopping them from teaming up and saying, "see what you did, you wasted your vote for the Greens, since we are now moving in lockstep and they have zero say in anything".

It'll be interesting for sure.

I still like my floor-crossing theory.   The Liberals do not even have to offer a cushy government job to the retiring crosser after politics.  They can get him or her into private business through their corporate connections.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users