Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1221 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

But remember folks, there is nothing stopping the NDP and Liberals from forming a coalition, if they both hate the idea of electoral reform that Greens push (and I suspect they both do, down deep inside).

And nothing stopping the Liberals from enticing 1 person from the Greens or NDP to cross the floor. The Greens have promised not to whip their votes so any Liberal deal with one of their members can be in private.

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#1222 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

The Greens have promised not to whip their votes so any Liberal deal with one of their members can be in private.

Surely that will be the first promise to disappear, at least in practice.  I could see Adam Olsen going over.  He's the guy with the biggest pay raise in all of this.  He's gone from selling native mittens (pitching it on Dragon's Den) to a pretty decent-paying job (MLA $102,878).  One more step (across the floor) and he's in the Liberal cabinet (add and extra $51,213).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1223 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Right. And he's in a strong Liberal riding to boot, as far as this region is concerned.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1224 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

Agreed.  If true.   The report about LeadNow was created by a disgruntled Conservative MP that lost her seat..   So I'm waiting for a more balanced story to uncover the facts.   http://vancouversun....er-city-affairs   Doesn't seem certain what the facts actually are in this case.   Certainly if there was foreign interference it needs to be banned.

You should all read Vivan Krause, she has been beating this drum for a long time. I'm surprised so few realize that the Tides foundation and other foreign groups have been doing this for years. 

Edited by PraiseKek, 24 May 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#1225 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Surely that will be the first promise to disappear, at least in practice.  I could see Adam Olsen going over.  He's the guy with the biggest pay raise in all of this.  He's gone from selling native mittens (pitching it on Dragon's Den) to a pretty decent-paying job (MLA $102,878).  One more step (across the floor) and he's in the Liberal cabinet (add and extra $51,213).

I'm sure that there would be one heck of a recall campaign were that to occur..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1226 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

And Leadnow is now just funded by groups, they're funded by corporate interests. The fact that Leadnow is also involved in Vancouver politics and that they orchestrated a BC election petition with 25,000 signatures in a matter of days means they're well funded and quite possibly have a broad reach in our province.

so are the Canadian "Taxpayers" Federation & the Fraser Institute. And those are considered "independent" even though they aren't.

• tedward and kafkaesque like this

#1227 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

But is the CTF funded by Canadians or by Americans trying to sway the Canadian electorate?

The vast majority of donations to the CTF are small.

http://www.taxpayer....osure _2015.pdf

I don't believe anybody is alleging that the CTF or Fraser Institute operated in contravention of the Canada Elections Act.

Edited by jonny, 24 May 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#1228 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

I'm sure that there would be one heck of a recall campaign were that to occur..

I'm not sure that would happen.  They'd just take care of it at the next election perhaps.  But like Mike says, there is large Liberal support in that riding.

I think recalls will only happen when someone does somthing against the law etc.  And let's face it, the Liberals can fund their side in that type of a campaign, who will fund the recall side?  The Greens?  That would just be more party damage again (the floor cross would be the first damagee).  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1229 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Adam Stirling made a valid point on CFAX this morning.

Since the Liberals lost a sizeable chunk of the popular vote and the Greens gained a sizeable chunk of the popular vote, but the NDP stayed the same, one could easily assume that the Green surge was related to disenfranchised Liberals.

Only one of many possible scenarios.   Liberal votes could have gone to NDP and NDP to Green.  Or any of the other possible combinations.   Possible a lot of Green voters did not vote at all last election and came from neither of the two parties.   

You know what they say about assumptions...

#1230 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

so are the Canadian "Taxpayers" Federation & the Fraser Institute. And those are considered "independent" even though they aren't.

Can you point me to some examples where the CTF have been politically involved along the lines of Tides or Leadnow?

#1231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

Even CUPE has Leadnow in their crosshairs. They caught on to the fact that Leadnow was pushing for Canadians to support the federal Liberals and/or the Greens in order to unseat the Conservatives.

This is back from 2015:

"OTTAWA — The head of Canada’s largest union is lashing out against an anti-Conservative strategic-voting campaign.

In a letter to the non-partisan group Leadnow, Paul Moist, the national president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), said he has supported the group’s “good work” in the past but he is disappointed in their plan to try to elect “so-called progressive candidates who can defeat the conservatives."

“Neither the Liberal Party of Canada nor the Green Party are progressive,” the president of the union representing some 628,000 Canadian public workers said in his letter. “Both parties have very right-wing economic policies, do not stand for working families or public services. Only the NDP has a progressive platform,” he stated."

http://www.huffingto..._n_7058128.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1232 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

There is no criteria for a recall campaign, but getting the number of signatures required is very difficult.

I seriously doubt we will see a floor crossing.  I might not agree with many of their policies, but I suspect all the elected MLA's have the integrity to either represent the party they ran under or resign their seat (which I expect will happen to Liberal MLA's if they do not retain power).  Crossing the floor generally shows a complete lack of personal integrity and requires the person to completely ignore the wills of their constituents.

#1233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Could a candidate decide to drop their party status and become an independent?

• kafkaesque likes this

Know it all.

#1234 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Seems like everyone is in favour of reviewing rules and possibly further limiting foreign involvement in canadian elections.  https://ipolitics.ca...e-in-elections/

#1235 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

^ ^ ^ but a guy like Olsen will never be with the party in power (the Greens will not form Government for decades or never if the get prop rep) so why not scoot across now and be a cabinet minister to boot?

#1236 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

...and get voted out in the next election for being a scum bag?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1237 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

^ ^ ^ but a guy like Olsen will never be with the party in power (the Greens will not form Government for decades or never if the get prop rep) so why not scoot across now and be a cabinet minister to boot?

Because he'd need to abandon everything he campaigned for towards supposed personal advancement.  If he's in a coalition theoretically he could still be a cabinet minister and at a minimum he'd likely enact more of his policy objectives just based on the alignment of the green and orange planks.

#1238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

148 vote spread in favour of the NDP in Courtenay-Comox as of 2PM. Still in-progress.

Know it all.

#1239 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Can you point me to some examples where the CTF have been politically involved along the lines of Tides or Leadnow?

LOL

How about: every single thing they have ever done. :)

• rjag and On the Level like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1240 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

...and get voted out in the next election for being a scum bag?

Sure but he would also be promised a tidy little consulting gig or OIC appointment should the libs remain in power. Either one of those would carry a nice 6 figure paycheque as well. The point I was making though is that he doesn't need to change his party, he just needs to have a backroom deal with the Libs to support them in any confidence vote.

The other thing you need to keep in mind are that the Greens and NDP who just squeaked into power might not share the same political motivations as their peers. If you just traded a career in bead making or native mittens for a tidy 6 figure Government salary then you are probably not in a rush to give that up. 8 years and the lifetime pension will also be an issue for those who just were re-elected for a second term. Why risk that if you don't have to.

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2017 - 01:50 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users