2017 British Columbia General Election

• Please log in to reply
1251 replies to this topic

#1241 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted Today, 01:49 PM

...and get voted out in the next election for being a scum bag?

Again, he's in a Liberal friendly riding. If he gets voted out he gets a Liberal Party job.

#1242 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted Today, 01:50 PM

Belinda Syronach crossed the floor and got more votes as a Liberal next election.

#1243 rjag

rjag
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

LOL

How about: every single thing they have ever done. :)

:thumbsup: hehe the sarcasm was strong in that statement! Wasnt expecting a response!!!

#1244 nagel

nagel
  • 4,597 posts

Posted Today, 01:56 PM

Belinda Syronach crossed the floor and got more votes as a Liberal next election.

For somewhat acceptable reasons.  Her party drifted further to the right so she jumped off.  I don't think such problems arise in a 3 person caucus lol.

#1245 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 501 posts

Posted Today, 02:08 PM

Could a candidate decide to drop their party status and become an independent?

Yes. Pat Pimm, John Slater, Blair Lekstrom, John van Dongen, Tony Bhullar, Elayne Brenzinger, Paul Nettleton, etc...they've all dropped their party at some time or another, for various time frames, to sit as independents.

Interestingly enough, the thing they all have in common is that they were elected as BC Liberals. I can't remember the last time a non-BC Liberal left the party to either cross the floor or to sit as an independent.

Edited by shoeflack, Today, 02:10 PM.

#1246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 35,539 posts

Posted Today, 02:09 PM

Interesting. Thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1247 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 1,615 posts

Posted Today, 02:51 PM

Yes. Pat Pimm, John Slater, Blair Lekstrom, John van Dongen, Tony Bhullar, Elayne Brenzinger, Paul Nettleton, etc...they've all dropped their party at some time or another, for various time frames, to sit as independents.

Interestingly enough, the thing they all have in common is that they were elected as BC Liberals. I can't remember the last time a non-BC Liberal left the party to either cross the floor or to sit as an independent.

And dropping the party when that party has a comfortable majority is one thing.   You can make the case that you are standing up for the rights of your constituents above those of the party.   Dropping your party when that action would change the balance of power is quite another.   Would have to be a real scumbag to pull that move, I doubt it will happen.

• jonny likes this

#1248 spanky123

spanky123
  • 6,948 posts

Posted Today, 04:10 PM

And dropping the party when that party has a comfortable majority is one thing.   You can make the case that you are standing up for the rights of your constituents above those of the party.   Dropping your party when that action would change the balance of power is quite another.   Would have to be a real scumbag to pull that move, I doubt it will happen.

Well if we limit the choice to only scumbag policitians then we wipe out at least 25% of the options!

• DavidSchell likes this

#1249 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted Today, 04:12 PM

Olsen crosses over because he "does not want to subject the electorate to another election in just a few months, and the instability that can cause hard-working British Columbians.... and I'm also here to tell you that effective today, Kinder Morgan is dead.  And I'll be the Environment Minister in Christy Clark's government next week.  To those who voted, I thank you, I really do... and I assure you, the BC Liberals path is the best path forward, and it'll be a different path, you can bet on that.  I'll be here on the inside to make sure it is.  Thank you Saanich North and the Islands!  We are ALL in good hands today, we really are...  God Bless, and Good Night!"

• spanky123 likes this

#1250 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,024 posts

Posted Today, 04:15 PM

I can't remember the last time a non-BC Liberal left the party to either cross the floor or to sit as an independent.

How about Gordon Wilson disbanding the PDA and joining the governing NDP and getting himself a cabinet seat in the process?

• DavidSchell likes this

#1251 spanky123

spanky123
  • 6,948 posts

Posted Today, 04:27 PM

I'm sure that there would be one heck of a recall campaign were that to occur..

Remember recalls are different in BC. You have to wait at least 18 months and then you need to collect 40% of the eligible voters' signatures. Tat would be an almost impossible threshold to obtain. You would need almost every person who voted NDP and Green to sign your petition.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1252 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 501 posts

Posted Today, 06:36 PM

Olsen crosses over because he "does not want to subject the electorate to another election in just a few months, and the instability that can cause hard-working British Columbians.... and I'm also here to tell you that effective today, Kinder Morgan is dead.  And I'll be the Environment Minister in Christy Clark's government next week.  To those who voted, I thank you, I really do... and I assure you, the BC Liberals path is the best path forward, and it'll be a different path, you can bet on that.  I'll be here on the inside to make sure it is.  Thank you Saanich North and the Islands!  We are ALL in good hands today, we really are...  God Bless, and Good Night!"

He'd have to be really dumb to cross the floor with that offer, because the province doesn't get to make the final call on the pipeline. Trudeau does.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

LJ, qv, zoomer, DavidSchell