2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1241 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

...and get voted out in the next election for being a scum bag?

Again, he's in a Liberal friendly riding. If he gets voted out he gets a Liberal Party job.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1242 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Belinda Syronach crossed the floor and got more votes as a Liberal next election.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1243 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

LOL

How about: every single thing they have ever done. :)

:thumbsup: hehe the sarcasm was strong in that statement! Wasnt expecting a response!!!

• tedward likes this

#1244 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Belinda Syronach crossed the floor and got more votes as a Liberal next election.

For somewhat acceptable reasons.  Her party drifted further to the right so she jumped off.  I don't think such problems arise in a 3 person caucus lol.

#1245 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Could a candidate decide to drop their party status and become an independent?

Yes. Pat Pimm, John Slater, Blair Lekstrom, John van Dongen, Tony Bhullar, Elayne Brenzinger, Paul Nettleton, etc...they've all dropped their party at some time or another, for various time frames, to sit as independents.

Interestingly enough, the thing they all have in common is that they were elected as BC Liberals. I can't remember the last time a non-BC Liberal left the party to either cross the floor or to sit as an independent.

Edited by shoeflack, 24 May 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#1246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

Interesting. Thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1247 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Yes. Pat Pimm, John Slater, Blair Lekstrom, John van Dongen, Tony Bhullar, Elayne Brenzinger, Paul Nettleton, etc...they've all dropped their party at some time or another, for various time frames, to sit as independents.

Interestingly enough, the thing they all have in common is that they were elected as BC Liberals. I can't remember the last time a non-BC Liberal left the party to either cross the floor or to sit as an independent.

And dropping the party when that party has a comfortable majority is one thing.   You can make the case that you are standing up for the rights of your constituents above those of the party.   Dropping your party when that action would change the balance of power is quite another.   Would have to be a real scumbag to pull that move, I doubt it will happen.

• jonny and On the Level like this

#1248 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

And dropping the party when that party has a comfortable majority is one thing.   You can make the case that you are standing up for the rights of your constituents above those of the party.   Dropping your party when that action would change the balance of power is quite another.   Would have to be a real scumbag to pull that move, I doubt it will happen.

Well if we limit the choice to only scumbag policitians then we wipe out at least 25% of the options!

• DavidSchell likes this

#1249 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Olsen crosses over because he "does not want to subject the electorate to another election in just a few months, and the instability that can cause hard-working British Columbians.... and I'm also here to tell you that effective today, Kinder Morgan is dead.  And I'll be the Environment Minister in Christy Clark's government next week.  To those who voted, I thank you, I really do... and I assure you, the BC Liberals path is the best path forward, and it'll be a different path, you can bet on that.  I'll be here on the inside to make sure it is.  Thank you Saanich North and the Islands!  We are ALL in good hands today, we really are...  God Bless, and Good Night!"

• spanky123 likes this

#1250 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I can't remember the last time a non-BC Liberal left the party to either cross the floor or to sit as an independent.

How about Gordon Wilson disbanding the PDA and joining the governing NDP and getting himself a cabinet seat in the process?

• DavidSchell and kafkaesque like this

#1251 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

I'm sure that there would be one heck of a recall campaign were that to occur..

Remember recalls are different in BC. You have to wait at least 18 months and then you need to collect 40% of the eligible voters' signatures. Tat would be an almost impossible threshold to obtain. You would need almost every person who voted NDP and Green to sign your petition.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1252 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Olsen crosses over because he "does not want to subject the electorate to another election in just a few months, and the instability that can cause hard-working British Columbians.... and I'm also here to tell you that effective today, Kinder Morgan is dead.  And I'll be the Environment Minister in Christy Clark's government next week.  To those who voted, I thank you, I really do... and I assure you, the BC Liberals path is the best path forward, and it'll be a different path, you can bet on that.  I'll be here on the inside to make sure it is.  Thank you Saanich North and the Islands!  We are ALL in good hands today, we really are...  God Bless, and Good Night!"

He'd have to be really dumb to cross the floor with that offer, because the province doesn't get to make the final call on the pipeline. Trudeau does.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1253 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I have to laugh when I hear John saying 60% of the people did not vote for the Liberals, while John 60% of the people also did not vote for the NDP.

As my daughter pointed out to me who has only ever voted green, where the greens have done well the popular vote has gone up.

Yes the greens are attracting votes on the left as well on the right, but are also growing the overall vote.

I think John has the most to lose as the riding where he won big and took seats form the Liberals are the ones he promised to eliminate tolls, but the greens were against this ... going to be interesting to see how this one gets resolved.

• rjag likes this

#1254 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

I think a Green coalition is not going to happen. There will be a deal with the libs to pass the budget. If they don't get what they want they will make a deal with the NDP. Once it fails the Greens can say they tried and they will likely do better in the next election. I could easily see a well played Green hand meaning a Green opposition to a Liberal majority and the NDP relegated to 2001 territory perhaps forever.
  • jonny, DavidSchell and Awaiting Juno like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1255 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

I voted Green to try to get another Green MLA in, and deny the NDP one riding.  If it had worked in my riding, we would have what we more of less have now, it would be 43-40-4.  But it did not work, my riding went NDP, so we have 43-41-3.

So you voted for a party whose policies you oppose and now the party whose policies you oppose hold's the balance of power and may pull the other party you oppose in a more extreme direction.

Cry me a freaking river.

#1256 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

...and talk about sore losers. "Someone should cross the isle..."

Yeah, maybe two Liberals will.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1257 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:29 AM

...and talk about sore losers. "Someone should cross the isle..."

Yeah, maybe two Liberals will.

As a Green, whether you cross the aisle or join a 'coalition' you are essentially doing the same thing. Interesting that Weaver is representing the Greens as the balance of power when in fact if he adheres to his promise of not whipping votes then each individual member should be able to choose what they want to do themselves.

#1258 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

So you voted for a party whose policies you oppose and now the party whose policies you oppose hold's the balance of power and may pull the other party you oppose in a more extreme direction.

Cry me a freaking river.

Well, in fairness, my vote meant nothing in the end.  I did not tip the riding one way or another.  Not even close.

I'm comfortable with where we are going here, I'm not at all worried about what happens next.  I still think the Liberals and the NDP might make a deal to set the Greens right back where thy were 10 years ago.  Why does the NDP want to help another leftist party gain more foothold?

For example, if they (Green/NDP) lead for the next 4 years and unemployment goes up, and they lay off 4000 workers at Site C, in 4 years the Liberals will be ready to win a huge majority again.

#1259 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

I guess if they cared more about getting 75% of their agenda enacted rather than absolute power (which they seem incapable of attaining anyways), by bringing in PR the left could control the Leg indefinitely through coalition governments.

• VicHockeyFan, LeoVictoria and Awaiting Juno like this

#1260 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

The NDP is not really interested in PR.   If they were, they'd have the deal now the Greens.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users