Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#341 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

On a hot summers day I enjoy an iced coffee, and Starbucks usually makes a good Frappuccino, but the last one I had was all ice, and not crushed but large cubes. The liquid disappeared in a couple of slurps. Not good. Tim Horton's seems to make a better version where the ice is ground up, the Iced Capp. Who else makes a good iced coffee?

In terms of iced coffee, iced americano or an iced mocha, Habit and 2% Jazz both are very good.

I've never ordered a frappuccino, so if that's what you're after, I can't help ya! :)

• Bingo likes this

#342 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

Just noticed that the coffee shop Picnic (at 506 Fort St. near Wharf) has opened a second location at 1019 Fort St. between Vancouver and Cook, called Picnic Too. Not sure how long it's been around but I'm thinking it must be new as there isn't any signage up besides a sandwich board. I used to work near their original location and really enjoyed their coffee and food - worth a try if you haven't already!

#343 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Just noticed that the coffee shop Picnic (at 506 Fort St. near Wharf) has opened a second location at 1019 Fort St. between Vancouver and Cook, called Picnic Too. Not sure how long it's been around but I'm thinking it must be new as there isn't any signage up besides a sandwich board. I used to work near their original location and really enjoyed their coffee and food - worth a try if you haven't already!

It's been up for a few months, maybe close to a year. The planned gluten-free deli in the adjoining address next store never happened. Picnic may take over that space at some point.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#344 mhw

mhw
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Cafe Spresso across from Save-on in Vic West is moving to the curling club:

https://www.facebook...384953724925803

Not sure if anyone's moving into the space to replace 'em.

#345 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

It's a terrible spot for a food business. Dark windows, a breezy patio (due to Save-On's ridiculous massive wall) and constant shadow doesn't bode well for ground level food retail. Just a few steps away Fol Epi is bursting at the seams while that place couldn't pack in more than a handful of people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#346 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

I just checked out Say Happy, new coffee place on lower Johnson. Very cool place. The owner is a local guy who was the Canadian barista champion.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#347 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hey Happy.

Matt.

#348 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Is it the same guy who ran the former cafe at Upper Harbour Place in Vic West before it became Spresso?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#349 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Rob Kettner. He was at the Fernwood/Parsonage when he won the title a few years ago, not sure where he's been since.

Matt.

#350 mhw

mhw
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

You mean when it was Buon Amici's? The owner's name was Derek, I think.

#351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

Right that's it, Buon Amici's, I guess it's a different barrista as Matt has pointed out.

Know it all.

#352 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

there was/is no relation between Rob Kettner at Hey Happy and old Fernwood fame and Derek Lucas who was the
original owner of Buon Amicis.
  • Matt R. likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#353 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Finally went to "Hey Happy". I highly recommend it if you have not tried it, something cool about an individually prepared drip coffee. Nice to see every table has AC/USB Outlet. Great and friendly staff. Really unique seating also. 

#354 trevport

trevport
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the Victoria area and am looking for people's opinions on good coffee shops and/or roasters to buy espresso whole beans.

• Mike K. likes this

#355 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

I had coffee at the Urban Cup near Cedar Hill and Shelbourne. Honestly, best damn coffee. I think it was Fernwood?

• trevport likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the Victoria area and am looking for people's opinions on good coffee shops and/or roasters to buy espresso whole beans.

Machiatto Cafe, two locations, one on Broughton at Broad and one in the Juliet tower on Johnson at Blanshard. Great coffee and a great price :)

• trevport likes this

Know it all.

#357 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

Machiatto Cafe, two locations, one on Broughton at Broad and one in the Juliet tower on Johnson at Blanshard. Great coffee and a great price :)

...and great staff.

#358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

For sure! Excellent staff.

Know it all.

#359 trevport

trevport
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I tried Hey Happy on Johnson over the weekend and picked up a bag of their Anchored Coffee espresso roast for $17. Good stuff but I'll check out the others as well.

#360 Colin H

Colin H
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

Rob Kettner. He was at the Fernwood/Parsonage when he won the title a few years ago, not sure where he's been since.

Matt.

He has been holed up at Bows & Arrows with Drew, as well as helping out Graham at Heist.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users