BUILT
Encore
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: Sitkum Road at Saghalie Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Encore at Bayview Place is a 17-storey, 134 unit condo in the Saghalie District of Bayview Place, a multi-phas... (view full profile)
Learn more about Encore on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Encore at Bayview Place | Condos | 17-storeys; 56 meters | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
1107 replies to this topic

#421 Gil Resch

Gil Resch
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Some confusion above. Looking at the real time cam shot, is the east wall of the "monolith" to be the current concrete wall to the left or east of the wooden plank retaining wall, or is it to be built from the now being framed wall to the west  or right of the plank retaining wall? Anyone have reference points for the west wall of the tower?  

#422 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Photos from November 18th

Attached Images

• IMG_9790.JPG
  • IMG_9792.JPG
  • IMG_9794.JPG
  • IMG_9796.JPG

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#423 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hey, if this project is sold out, they should get to work on Roundhouse!

Who's "they"?  Bosa's project(s) being sold out should be no measurement of Focus Equities abilities, CURRENT owner of the Roundhouse Marketplace.   

#424 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

Focus Equities sells the parcels of land to developers/builders.

At the groundbreaking for Encore, Mariash (Focus Equities) did comment that since Encore was in good hands with Bosa they would have more time to concentrate on the Roundhouse parcel.

#425 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Eight years later with an approved DP that is about to expire and Mariash tells the world he needs more time to concentrate on the Roundhouse?  Do you not find that just a bit amusing?     

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

The remaining Bayview parcel is now for sale. And the next tower will be the eastern-most at Roundhouse. It could be taller than 21-storeys.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#427 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

Mike, when you say the "next" tower, who's the Owner?  Do they have an approved DP?  

#428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

Bayview is the owner. They have all approvals in place but will likely alter plans for the tower which will require an altered DP. My sense is Bosa will want to build at least one more tower at Bayview/Roundhouse.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#429 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

Never heard of Bayview, I was of the understanding Focus Equities owns the Bayview Marketplace site.  Do I have this messed up?   Unless it is another piece that Focus has sliced off to someone else and let them call themselves "Bayview" (but that would be odd).   

Its a no brainer that Bosa wants to continue to build, but its comes down to the Golden Rule:  Guy with the gold makes the rules - Mariash has different plans.   

#430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:59 AM

Bayview is Focus Esquiries. Bayview has been their local operating name, as per the development name Bayview. The first tower is called Bayview One.

The next tower could be a hotel, which means Bosa wouldn't get involved, I don't think. But if Bayview/Focus decide to have a residential tower there instead Bosa will be in the running for that parcel, that's virtually guaranteed.

Know it all.

#431 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:25 AM

Is there not some sort of covenant, that stipulates that Bayview must develop the Roundhouse before building any more condos?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

There might be. Unfortunately I don't have details about that sort of thing.

Know it all.

#433 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

Bayview is Focus Esquiries. Bayview has been their local operating name, as per the development name Bayview. The first tower is called Bayview One.

The next tower could be a hotel, which means Bosa wouldn't get involved, I don't think. But if Bayview/Focus decide to have a residential tower there instead Bosa will be in the running for that parcel, that's virtually guaranteed.

Thanks for the clarification, with that I believe your comment that Focus Equities has "all approvals in place" is incorrect.  This would mean they have approved Development and Building Permits, securities / bonds, off-site agreements, all in place.  I am confident this is not the case.  I understand they have one approved DP only, namely for the heritage buildings (roundhouse, car shop, and stores building) which is about to expire this coming summer.

And yes I am very familiar with Bayview One, the first and last tower done by Focus - its level of success is why Bosa / Axiom Builders are there

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the clarification, with that I believe your comment that Focus Equities has "all approvals in place" is incorrect.  This would mean they have approved Development and Building Permits, securities / bonds, off-site agreements, all in place.  I am confident this is not the case.  I understand they have one approved DP only, namely for the heritage buildings (roundhouse, car shop, and stores building) which is about to expire this coming summer.

And yes I am very familiar with Bayview One, the first and last tower done by Focus - its level of success is why Bosa / Axiom Builders are there

Development permits are applied for and put into place as necessary. It would be extremely costly for such a major project to have all development permits in place from day one and never require any alterations to those permits or utilize the permits before they expired. For one-off projects, such as a single tower development, the developer will apply for a rezoning + development permit in one go, if possible, to save time and money.

Municipal approvals for Bayview/Roundhouse have been in place for many years. As the project matures, the individual (already approved) parcels are re-imagined and development permits are applied for in due course. That being said, an expired development permit does not present any sort of challenge, the permitting process is simply repeated but that's an added expense.

Know it all.

#435 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

So you are saying that as of today, the "next" tower's (a.k.a hotel) DP has not been applied for? 

#436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

That I don't know, but neither has Townline applied for its revised DP at Hudson Place and they plan to start building by mid-2017.

The rezoning and municipal approvals process is what makes or breaks a project, not the permitting process. DP's can lapse or be revised, it's no biggie, unless the DP is requesting an alteration beyond the scope of the initial approvals received.

Know it all.

#437 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the clarification.  I felt your statement that they "have all approvals in place" was a little off-side.  I understand from very reliable sources they are far from having anything in place with respect to developing on their own.  

#438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

Approvals and permits are two different things. It's not feasible for such a large project to have development permits in place for every development phase. That's done, typically, on a parcel by parcel basis as necessary.

Know it all.

#439 dolt

dolt
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

Bayview is the owner. They have all approvals in place but will likely alter plans for the tower which will require an altered DP. My sense is Bosa will want to build at least one more tower at Bayview/Roundhouse.

Mike you have really lost me;  Can you please let me know what specifically you believe Focus has pre-approved understanding they have not made application for a DP?  The only thing I can think that may be remotely construed as being pre-approved are:

1) The land needed to be rezoned and was "approved" by the City

2) Roundhouse Design Guidelines (link below) were "approved" and adopted by the City (and shall form a requirement for future applications).  

But obviously these are not "pre-approvals" for the Developer in their future a DP applications.  I understand all future applications shall go through the normal "approval" process in all regards.  So what do they have in their back pocket that I don't understand?

http://www.victoria....-guidelines.pdf

PS.  Do you feel we have gotten a bit off-topic from the Encore???    

#440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

There's a Roundhouse-specific thread here that you may want to read. The master plan for the Roundhouse project was approved by City of Victoria council in 2008, which included nearly 500 condo units in multiple towers, a hotel, and a large commercial component. Skip ahead to page 4 for the discussion following council's approval of the project.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users