BUILT
Encore
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: Sitkum Road at Saghalie Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Encore at Bayview Place is a 17-storey, 134 unit condo in the Saghalie District of Bayview Place, a multi-phas... (view full profile)
Learn more about Encore on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Encore at Bayview Place | Condos | 17-storeys; 56 meters | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
1107 replies to this topic

#501 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

roundhouse.png

Can you show us where the site is in the above image, VHF?

#502 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the response. Since I do not currently live in Victoria, Spinnaker's warehouse is not helpful. I assume it is the very small brown building in the southeast corner. Any comment on the ralt terminal location?

Yes, that is correct.

#503 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the response. Since I do not currently live in Victoria, Spinnaker's warehouse is not helpful. I assume it is the very small brown building in the southeast corner. Any comment on the ralt terminal location?

I'm not sure Ryan on either point. Hopefully laconic comes back to clarify.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#504 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

The picture is great... thanks nparker.

Yes, the newest building would go at approximately the small brown building in the southeast corner.

They're looking at putting the rail terminal in the very upper left of the picture, just on either side of Catherine Street. You'd have to transfer to a bus to downtown. They're very concerned that the fares be transferrable, to the point of having BC Transit run the service and having connections synced to the busses. Initially they're looking at purely a commuter train, so hourly departures from Langford Lake area in the morning and reverse in the evening. They're expecting 30 minutes to town.

The question was asked about having terminal at the newly created park at the end of the trestle by the Johnson Street Bridge. It makes more sense in that people can see downtown and walk to it, just like you would if you at a subway station in a large city. The answer that that there wasn't enough room to have busses stopping there.

• VicHockeyFan and rambaldi like this

#505 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

The picture is great... thanks nparker.

Yes, the newest building would go at approximately the small brown building in the southeast corner...

The photo credit really needs to go to VHF; I simply re-posted his picture. Is this "the small brown building in the southeast corner" that you mention?

brown.JPG

#506 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

^ Yes.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#507 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Initially they're looking at purely a commuter train, so hourly departures from Langford Lake area in the morning and reverse in the evening. They're expecting 30 minutes to town.

The question was asked about having terminal at the newly created park at the end of the trestle by the Johnson Street Bridge. It makes more sense in that people can see downtown and walk to it, just like you would if you at a subway station in a large city. The answer that that there wasn't enough room to have busses stopping there.

Every hour eh... 

#508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

There would be plenty of space for buses on Tyee. I suspect the desire to have the terminal within a private development is the driving force here.

I had a chance to reach out to the folks who run the pro-commuter rail Victoria Commuter Train Facebook and Twitter pages that went up on the day of the government announcement. They're funded by Bayview, but there is no indication on the pages that that's the case, nor is there indication on their website by the same name. Not that it's a surprise, but I feel content of that nature should be properly identified as being operated and funded by an organization with a substantial stake in the game considering tax dollars are the major financial backing for this plan.
  • kafkaesque likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#509 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-04-01-08-05-56.png

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-04-01-08-03-33.png

People are not going to want to transfer to buses, what a big hassle, and it defeats the "cool factor" of the train, that lots of you train fans say is desirable to get people out of cars.

#510 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Oh, for sure. Which just makes the attempt to have the train stop at Catherine Street that much more of an impediment. We not only killed rail to downtown Victoria, now we'll stop the train as far as possible from the end of the tracks? This all seems so very bizarre, but I get it, Bayview wants to be both a player in this regard and to keep the trains from actually traveling through their properties. The noise will drive their residents bonkers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#511 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Bosa-Bayview  does not own the right of way...(the Tracks ) so how can they say they don't want it on their property when the right of way passes through their property but is not part of their property?

I am confused by the above comments.

Edited by HB, 01 April 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Any chance the posts that are clearly about commuter rail could get moved to the appropriate thread? It would be nice to come to this thread and read about Encore and not the ongoing battle of the train/anti-train crowds.

Thanks muchly.

#513 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

I wonder how many promontories are going to lose a large parts of their current view when all these highrises.....rise

#514 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

Bosa-Bayview  does not own the right of way...(the Tracks ) so how can they say they don't want it on their property when the right of way passes through their property but is not part of their property?

I am confused by the above comments.

They can push for a terminal at the west side of their property.  If everyone agrees, then trains will not use the right-of-way through their property.

#515 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

But the fact remains they can push for whatever they like but they don't own the property the tracks are located on ...none of it

#516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

HB, think about what VHF said and let that resonate for a second. If Bayview can successfully keep the train on the west side of the property, that makes the situation the absolute most ideal one for residents at Bayview. But it makes the situation far less so for commuters.

If the station is on the west side, it's irrelevant how much of a ROW the train has further to th east since there will be no reason for the train to continue beyond the station.

Know it all.

#517 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

Bayview.....

Well I hope that I t does continue past the roundhouse and right to thew eastern extent of the remaining rail .

that sway people can get off the train and walk across the new pedestrian overpass into downtown

that probably wont happen though because we seem to always have narrow minded people involved in any discussions in this city who want it their way or the highway

Fortin did an alright job with the bridge as far as i am concerned but he royally screwed the city over backwards by not insisting the rail be maintained on the new bridge

#518 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Fortin did an alright job with the bridge? What the heck? That's the most bungled infrastructure project in the history of this region.

Know it all.

#519 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

off-topic.jpg

• DavidSchell likes this

#520 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

The continued posts on commuter rail in this thread deserve at least two of the above.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users