Recommendations for Renovation Companies

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

This may NOT be the place for this but wasn't sure where else it would 'fit'.

We are looking to get about three estimates on renovating our home to add a much-needed 4th bedroom. We know exactly where we want it, it would not involve changing roof lines, nor windows (in fact - we would be 'filling-in' one window and replacing a currently-non-opening for an opening one). It is basically filling in (new floor, few walls, etc.) an open area above a family room (it is currently a vaulted second-floor ceiling above). It would probably involve some additional cross beams to support the new room.

It isn't a HUGE job, but it would be huge for us. We want a general contractor that is family-friendly and budget-conscious (so no Abstract Development for us - unfortunately ;)

We may, at the same time, decide to install a ductless heat pump to our home depending on the estimate numbers for the renovation of the bedroom.

Who would you trust and recommend for work like this? Any places you'd stay away from?

Edited by LocalMom, 26 February 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

You might want to take a look at the Thumbs Up! thread here: http://vibrantvictor...?hl=+thumbs +up

• LocalMom likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

This may NOT be the place for this but wasn't sure where else it would 'fit'.

We are looking to get about three estimates on renovating our home to add a much-needed 4th bedroom. We know exactly where we want it, it would not involve changing roof lines, nor windows (in fact - we would be 'filling-in' one window and replacing a currently-non-opening for an opening one). It is basically filling in (new floor, few walls, etc.) an open area above a family room (it is currently a vaulted second-floor ceiling above). It would probably involve some additional cross beams to support the new room.

It isn't a HUGE job, but it would be huge for us. We want a general contractor that is family-friendly and budget-conscious (so no Abstract Development for us - unfortunately ;)

We may, at the same time, decide to install a ductless heat pump to our home depending on the estimate numbers for the renovation of the bedroom.

Who would you trust and recommend for work like this? Any places you'd stay away from?

This is one profession I do not feel comfortable recommending anymore.  I've recommended people for this type of work before and then my clients have had what they perceive as bad experiences, or vice versa...the individual I recommended ended up with a nightmare client.  I don't mind recommend people for specific jobs, plumbing, electricity, framing, etc, but not for a general contractor.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

I hear you.

Curious if anyone has used EasyJobQuote.com?

Or perhaps it's bottom of the barrel contractors.

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

If you're filling in a floor I would recommend you obtain the services of a draftsman. They will make sure you need or don't need engineered beams etc and they are a great source for names of small contractors. We have used victoria design group in the past with success.
  • sebberry and LocalMom like this

#6 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

Didn't like VDG myself. Maybe as they have gotten busier.... Better off to go lower end of you aren't getting what you pay for...

#7 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

This is one profession I do not feel comfortable recommending anymore.  I've recommended people for this type of work before and then my clients have had what they perceive as bad experiences, or vice versa...the individual I recommended ended up with a nightmare client.  I don't mind recommend people for specific jobs, plumbing, electricity, framing, etc, but not for a general contractor.

Do you mind sending a pm to me? Or if it's ok to write your list here. I guess a lot of people might benefit from your input.Who do you recommand for a framer, roofer, electricity and maybe plumber?  in next two years(maybe shorter), I would have to do a tear-down when parents put themself into a cared home.....Marko, been following your new constrction post since day 1. thanks

#8 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Do you mind sending a pm to me? Or if it's ok to write your list here. I guess a lot of people might benefit from your input.Who do you recommand for a framer, roofer, electricity and maybe plumber?  in next two years(maybe shorter), I would have to do a tear-down when parents put themself into a cared home.....Marko, been following your new constrction post since day 1. thanks

I am becoming more and more hesitant to refer trades people.  What's happened in the last month alone?

1. My client asks me for a painter referral to paint the interior in her new place.  I refer a painter I've personally used in the past.  He quotes something like $3,000 (could have been a tad high, I don't know), but my client accepts the quote.  He starts the job and a family member of my client comes out of town and claims that $3,000 is a "rip-off"  and things go sideways from there.  My client is not happy, the painter I've used is not happy.  

2. My client asks me to refer a finishing carpenter.  I know an older Croatian guy who has been doing finishing work for 40 years, absolutely amazing workmanship, extremely honest, affordable, etc.  I refer him and he does $4,000 in finishing work and my client decides that he will pay him $500 per month for the next 8 months because he is "short on cash," which I know is BS.

Now I have to call that finisher to finish my house and I just sent him one horrible referral, not a great situation for me.

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

^ both situations have nothing to do with the quality of the work though - which is the first thing people want when looking for work done. Perhaps you should just add a disclaimer to any referrals you do, and only refer to contractors who want referrals. Perhaps this finishing carpenter still wants referrals, not really your fault the guy isn't paying on time. Contractor should be able to charge interest if 30 days net isn't met.

#10 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

^ both situations have nothing to do with the quality of the work though - which is the first thing people want when looking for work done. Perhaps you should just add a disclaimer to any referrals you do, and only refer to contractors who want referrals. Perhaps this finishing carpenter still wants referrals, not really your fault the guy isn't paying on time. Contractor should be able to charge interest if 30 days net isn't met.

I've had unrealistic quality expectation issues as well in the past, especially on renovations.

Once on a brand new build I referred a framer to my clients (I had helped them buy the vacant lot) and they were pissed off that the exterior staircases weren't including the framing quote and they had to pay extra at the end but the industry standard is NOT to include exterior staircases in a residential framing quote.  Anyway, I heard about it from both parties.

I've just had so many headaches over the years that I don't know what the point is, it's not like I benefit from referring anyone (I refuse to take any sort of incentive, even though I've been offered in the past).

A big problem I see is for example, someone will hire a contractor to do a kitchen and the bill is $35,000.  This seems like a huge amount to the owner, but what they are ignoring is the contractor is in it for $25,000 to $30,000 in just costs (cabinets, plumbing, electrical, countertops, etc.).....the owner just sees it at $35,000 to contractor.

• lanforod likes this

#11 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

Referring lawyers, various inspectors (home inspection, drain tiles, oil tank scans, septic), etc., is much easier as the tasks are quite defined.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users