Photo

Kraft Hockeyville & Rogers Hometown Hockey

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Dude, can you name the place that won this contest? Just name it!

If the place is called North Saanich, then North Saanich's arena should be a perfectly appropriate venue. A perfectly adequate and reasonable representation of North Saanich, right? Nothing to be ashamed of?

But, if North Saanich's arena is too small for the big party then sure, relocate the event to a larger venue. Perfectly fine.

But, if the place that won is called Victoria and if the party happens in Victoria because Victoria is the place that won... then what on frickin' earth was the arena in North Saanich even involved for? At this rate Victoria could win this contest every bloody year! Do Sooke next year, then do Langford, then do Esquimalt, etc.

Note: Victoria has a population 100,000 higher than all 16 finalists in 2014 combined. And one of those 2014 finalists was itself abnormally large as compared to all of the others (Chicoutimi, Quebec - population 106,000).

Look, if some people want an excuse to party I'm not going to take the wind out of their sails. I'm just trying to understand what the heck people are thinking re: the significance/relevance for the community.

Edited by aastra, 07 April 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#42 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

Tell me one good reason why Panorama should have it, other than Save On, and I'll listen.

Jamie Benn 80 points, 5th in points in the NHL is the best reason I can think of. 

Benn grew up playing hockey for the Peninsula Eagles minor hockey association and attended Stelly's Secondary School as a teenager. He played for the Peninsula Panthers of the VIJHL, a local Junior B team.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jamie_Benn

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:52 AM

Jamie Benn earns $64,000 per game he plays.

He does not need the game to be at Panorama for his family to be able to go. They all have cars and can drive downtown.

Hundreds of people that helped land this game will not be able to go unless it's held in town.

And if it's held in town there is potential to earn even more money for minor hockey. I think that's win win.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:19 AM

Dude, can you name the place that won this contest? Just name it!

North Saanich?

North Saanich won it, and they knew back in March that they might have the option of moving it.

CFAX reports that officials went to see 4 arenas during their visit yesterday.  Can't imagine what the fourth one was, unless it was just the other ice sheet at Panorama.  Then I'd guess Save On and Q Centre.  Decision to come within 6 weeks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

Note: Victoria has a population 100,000 higher than all 16 finalists in 2014 combined. And one of those 2014 finalists was itself abnormally large as compared to all of the others (Chicoutimi, Quebec - population 106,000).

Look, if some people want an excuse to party I'm not going to take the wind out of their sails. I'm just trying to understand what the heck people are thinking re: the significance/relevance for the community.

Nanaimo and Vernon have been finalists in the past.

I don't think it's all too easy to move it from Esquimalt, to Sooke etc. every year.  There were over 1,000 entries.

#46 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

What's the big deal? NHL makes a decision, that's what we go with. I want to go to this game. I voted. I'd like to support Panorama a little, but that doesn't mean it has to be there.

If any opportunity for the general public to purchase tickets happens, I will be looking to get tickets. If there are only 400, I'd guess it'll be a lottery or mostly to the kids who play there. That sucks.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

I've already suggested that by being creative, Peninsula hockey can earn an additional $100k or more by leveraging this gift.

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

I get what Aastra is saying. This all seems a bit shifty/slimy. I demand a recount so the prize can be moved. Discount any IP address outside of the peninsula.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

We have a unique situation here.  Sylvan Lake can have their game at home, because if fans want to watch a Flames game, they can get a ticket to any old game.  We can get Canucks tickets, but not without the expense of ferry/hotel.  Now that the Canucks do not sell out every game, maybe they will consider more games where Islanders can return the same night.  There were only 2 games this year that started early (12 noon and 4pm).

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

Why are we making such a big deal over this? For Christ's sake...

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

I know. It's a pre-season hockeyville game. It's odd.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

I get what Aastra is saying. This all seems a bit shifty/slimy. I demand a recount so the prize can be moved. Discount any IP address outside of the peninsula.

I dunno, I don't think it's a switch, it's an opportunity that other Hockeyville's don't really have (the option of a NHL-ready rink very near by).

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

I know. It's a pre-season hockeyville game. It's odd.

It's hockey...I have NEVER understood the fascination.

• LocalMom likes this

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

A Panorama official says the game might get moved to Save On or Q Centre. He says Panorama only has 400 seats.

Apparently they can get 1000 in with standing room. I still like the concept of a small intimate rink, with the smell of the hot chocolate and popcorn wafting through the air. It doesn't always have to be about the money.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

Apparently they can get 1000 in with standing room. I still like the concept of a small intimate rink, with the smell of the hot chocolate and popcorn wafting through the air. It doesn't always have to be about the money.

Fire chief won't let 1000 in there. He's never had to consider it before though.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Date set for Kraft Hockeyville 2015 NHL Pre Season game in Victoria between Canucks and Sharks

The date has been set for the Kraft Hockeyville 2015 NHL® Pre Season game between the Vancouver Canucks and the San Jose Sharks.

#57 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

September 21, 2015.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

Prince George, BC, to host 2015 training camp

Vancouver Canucks training schedule around B.C. includes:

· Development Camp – Shawnigan Lake, July 3-9
· Young Stars Tournament – Penticton, Sept. 11-14
· Training Camp – Prince George, Sept. 17-20
· Kraft Hockeyville pre-season game vs San Jose – North Saanich, Sept. 21

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

A TSN radio announcer in Vancouver made a stupid comment two days ago while trying to make the case that Vancouver should host the camps, not other jurisdictions. He said, or rather wondered, if "Saanich" had an airport for the players to fly into for the Kraft game.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

A TSN radio announcer in Vancouver made a stupid comment two days ago while trying to make the case that Vancouver should host the camps, not other jurisdictions. He said, or rather wondered, if "Saanich" had an airport for the players to fly into for the Kraft game.

Ask Victorians to pick the municipalities on a blank Lower Mainland map, and name which ones have an airport, and they'd be lost too.  I'd be making wild guesses on everything east of Surrey and Burnaby.

eb.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users