Standard Pizza | Victoria | Pandora at Cook streets

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fox.trot

fox.trot
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

Long time lurker first time poster. 

Checked out Standard Pizza on Pandora and Cook (strip mall across from Wellburn's grocery; beside the Macs) last week and I can't say enough good things about it. Already been there twice since they opened last week.

Reasonably priced, delicious wood fire oven pizza. Around $10 for a small which would be a good amount for the average person I would say. Good variety of meat and vegetarian options.

Not much seating (two tables and a few bar seats), but take-out is an option. Due to the size of the space it's a bit more casual than Prima Strada or Famoso. However, the decor (beautiful wood paneling) and service were top notch.

Crust was perfect (no limp soggy mess), toppings were great and generously portioned (pepperoni was so delicious, veg was perfected seasoned and cooked), all around great flavour and texture.

A few options for non-alcoholic drinks ( a few natural sodas like Fentimans), but they aren't licensed. Not sure if that will change.

The owners have worked at Fol Epi and Cold Comfort among other places. One night I was there they had Cold Comfort ice cream "treatzza pizzas" for dessert. Didn't try them but they looked amazing!

This place is definitely worth checking out! 

Attached Images

• 2015-03-16 09.32.43.jpg

#2 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hmmmmm, have you tried Zaffran D'Harbour ?

• Nparker and Jill like this

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

A pizza place that doesn't have a North American favourite in Hawaiian? Odd...

#4 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Could we stop with the unpaid advertising?
  • Nparker and Bingo like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

If anyone's first post is a restaurant review, particularly of a brand new restaurant, it seems pretty fishy.

• LocalMom, weirdie, Bingo and 1 other like this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

Especially if it's for a seafood restaurant.

• sebberry and sdwright.vic like this

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

A pizza place that doesn't have a North American favourite in Hawaiian? Odd...

That would be like going to Little Jumbo and asking if they have breaded veal cutlet.

• Matt R. likes this

#8 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

We'll try it Friday night I think, and I'll report back.  I went in the other day to pick up a menu and it looked really good.  

• Mike K. likes this

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

A friend of mine who also makes pizza from his shop, on Sunday's only, tried it and said it gave him a reason to go out for pizza mid-week.

Looking forward to some more reviews.

Matt.

#10 fox.trot

fox.trot
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

I have no vested interest in this place other than having another affordable and yummy food option in the North Park area! I was sad to see Leaven shut down and I'm glad to see another place with a quality focus has moved in. I don't know the owners but I am always wanting to pass on good words about new businesses that I've had good experiences with. I can imagine that its hard just starting out And word of mouth can go a long way.

I can see how it looks funny someone's first post being a review. I'm just a lurker who finally decided to post. I hope no one got the wrong impression.
  • Mike K., sebberry and Danma like this

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria fox.trot

#12 fearlesspanda

fearlesspanda
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

I was there last week too. Really liked it. Will go back again for sure. 

#13 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

We went on Friday, and I'd say its not as good as Prima Strada, but still very good tasting pizza.  The crusts were a bit heavier and there was substantially more cheese, so that made it somewhat between PS and say Brickyard.  

The biggest issues they will have is seating (there are 11 seats including the 4 at the "bar"), and the time to cook pizzas.  Real Neopolitan wood fired pizza is supposed to take 30 s to cook.  Standard's were taking about 5 minutes with lots of moving the pies around in the oven.  I'm not at all an expert on these ovens or this style of cooking, but my guess is that the oven is not hot enough.  They were doing 4 pizzas at a time, so 50 an hour, which meant they were already pretty backed up at 5:30 on Friday evening and giving people 1-hr wait times.  I'll be interested if they improve on these times in the future.  

But overall we'll definitely be back.  We'll just get there early enough that the kids won't explode before things are ready.  In the summer it'll be easy as they can just play in the playground across the way.

Edited by jklymak, 21 March 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

^They're using the old bread oven? I don't think they're made to withstand the blistering heat found in a traditional pizza oven. And if your lunch crowd has to wait more than five minutes for lunch you've lost them

#15 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

Did Sunday dinner take-out from here and thought it was great. We waited about 10min for the pizzas (one sausage with hot peppers and one meatball with basil leaves).

Thin crust (really close to PPS), with a good crispy/chewy'ness to them (even after the 15min drive home, not "floppy' at all). Other toppings sounded great and we'll be back to try a few of them.

I liked the dual sizes as well - the "small" was around 12-14"

Here's part of the front counter (the right hand counter has seating) - wood oven in the background.

counter.jpg

Meatball small pizza:

meatball.jpg

Sausage small pizza:

sausage.jpg

• Mike K. and Jill like this

#16 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

^They're using the old bread oven? I don't think they're made to withstand the blistering heat found in a traditional pizza oven. And if your lunch crowd has to wait more than five minutes for lunch you've lost them

They're open 5pm-12am.

#17 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

They're open 5pm-12am.

wish I had read this before I dropped by hungry for lunch today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users