Kitchen (formerly Pescatores) | Victoria | Broughton at Government streets

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:35 AM

Sorry for three threads here, but what the hey....

http://www.timescolo...h.ofsfSaab.dpuf

Pescatores restaurant re-emerging as 3 new brands

Veteran restaurateur Mike Murphy is proving to be something of a magician given he will reveal three new restaurants next week in a spot where last year there were just two.

After a sweeping, pricey, four-month renovation that tore Pescatores and the Oyster Bar down past the studs, Murphy will unveil three newcomers to the dining scene — Kitchen, The Commons and Raw Bar.

The three restaurants, all of them operating under the Pescatores banner, take up 6,000 square feet on the southeast corner of the Belmont Building where Pescatores, Oyster and Scala Boutique operated until the end of last year.

“We agonized over whether we would open as one restaurant,” said Murphy during a walk-through Thursday as finishing touches and paint were being applied.

The decision to split the space in three came down to Murphy’s desire to establish a fine dining restaurant downtown — Kitchen. “We couldn’t do high-end with one big space, you can’t do seafood cheap,” he said, noting with tourism rebounding and locals having few options there is a need for a new high-end dining spot.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

That's a great name.

To confuse search engines.

• Mixed365 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

That's a great name.

To confuse search engines.

Yup, not thought out.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

Might as well just call it "the". One of my favourite bands is called Stars. It sure does not make for an easy Internet search experience.
  • Mixed365 likes this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

Oh, and not to be confused with The Local Kitchen, of course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

It would seem "Food" was already taken: http://food-la.com/

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

It's not a name that suggests fine dining. It doesn't suggest much at all besides food. It could be a food cart's name.

Might as well just call it "the". One of my favourite bands is called Stars. It sure does not make for an easy Internet search experience.

One of my favourite 80s bands is The The. They are actually unexpectedly easy to find on Google.

• Matt R. and Jill like this

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

It's not a name that suggests fine dining. It doesn't suggest much at all besides food. It could be a food cart's name.

One of my favourite 80s bands is The The. They are actually unexpectedly easy to find on Google.

Ah but two words with quotes wrapped around them and you are fine.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

I can't wait for someone to name a restaurant Restaurant. Maybe that's what 10 Acres will be named after it's rebranded? That's a freebie for the marketing team behind Kitchen who clearly ran a little dry on ideas. You're welcome.

And the whole bottom floor of the Belmont Building could just be called Food Here Now. Look at us, we're on a roll this morning.

Speaking of which, that's a great name for a sushi place. Roll. Or maybe Fat Burger could rebrand as Rolls. Same idea, right?

Know it all.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

There is or was a local band called Special Guests. I don't think it survived into the internet age.

#11 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

Funny you mention because I've had the exact same problem.  :badpc:

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:57 AM

I'm sure there's a restaurant called Restaurant, but I can't find it. No surprise there.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

"stars" band  No that hard.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Except that 95%* of Internet users are not that good at search.

* as always, all figures made up.
  • ouiparapluie likes this

#15 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

There is or was a local band called Special Guests. I don't think it survived into the internet age.

They renamed themselves "Jets overhead"

• Matt R. likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

Really!? Awesome.

#17 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

They can call it what they like, we won't be back.
Not when they advertise buck-a-shuck and buck-and-a--half-a-shuck appears on the bill.
"Oh, that's the old menu" didn't cut it.
In that location maybe the business plan is "They're tourists, they likely won't be back."

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

Pescatores is now open, after a long renovation.

Kitchen / Raw Bar is open From 5 pm to 10 pm daily

Commons open from 11:30am - 1am Mon - Sat
Sunday - 11:30am - 12am

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

Ok now this is confusing. Isn't Pescatores now called Kitchen?

Know it all.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Kitchen is the high end one. All three operate under the " Pescatores banner".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users