The Ruby | Victoria | 3110 Douglas Street

Hotel zed ruby the ruby

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Finally made it here and landed at happy hour 2:30 to 6:00 PM. Many very reasonable items on a tasting menu.

They serve Discovery coffee and do have a reasonable and hip liquor menu.  Too busy eating to take pictures of food or menu but it is a great menu and wanted to try almost everything. 

I search for the Ruby and did not come up but this restaurant is so good needs its own thread. I will put on the asbestos fireproof suit and state I am glad to see they have not done the trendy thing and gone and added bacon to everything or anything . The menu is mostly duck/chicken and some vegetarian items. 

I prefer it to Jam on Herald and will be our go to restaurant . Highly recommended

• Nparker and cfbnp200e like this

#2 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

I've done breaky here twice and am aiming to hit their Happy Hour (btw website says to 5pm). Little Jumbo Duck wings and prosecco on tap are calling me. I thought the same thing - reasonable prices.

Breakfastes were great - I had the tacos (1 of ea, to be fair - all very fresh tasting), served with a rectangle of their hashbrowns (somewhere between shredded & mashed - mix of yam & potato). Benny's had perfectly done eggs (and they'll ask you pref when you order) - the classic had a thick slice of ham - but the twist was the base - crumpet or croissant (opted for the former - it held up well).

Easy parking too.

I checked out the rec-room (where, apparently, they'll send you with coffee if there are table waits) - fabulous! 2 ping-pong tables, banquettes, TV and more (makes you want to wait).

Inside:
tinside.jpg

Benny:

tbenny.jpg

Tacos:

ttacos.jpg

Mexican Eggs (fried egg over shredded roasted chicken)

trancheros.jpg

• Nparker, Mr_E_Squirrel, lanforod and 1 other like this

#3 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Hashbrowns look like soggy rice cakes, but otherwise seems like decent fare.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#4 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Sounds yummy. Would love to try it out but with two picky kids, I hope they will do basic pancakes/bacon/toast. 

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

Hash browns are probably the same as Jam.

Looks good, gonna try it out next time I'm over.

Matt.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

Yup, they look the same. Not my choice, but they'll do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hashbrowns are close to Jam's, but not quite - Ruby's are a chunkier consistency - Jam's are a smaller shred and fried a little crispier. I liked the Ruby's, but Jam's still win out for me (and Catalano's - which does a rosti with some of their brunches).

Ruby does basic as well: toast, eggs & bacon.

tclassic.jpg

• LocalMom likes this

#8 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

Finally made it here with my little family for Mother's Day brunch - om nom nom! I had the (of course) Mama's Fried Egg Sandwich - yum! But it is BIG. I ended up deconstructing my second half and just eating the innards - if I ordered again, I'd ask for it open faced and just use a knife and fork. Can't say as I enjoyed their take on the hash brown, but I'm not a big potato fan unless its fries :)

Husband had the Mexican Eggs and couldn't say enough about them - he finished his plate which he hardly ever does. Kids had: bacon and toast, another had their chicken slider and fries, and the third had their breakfast sandwich. Everyone loved their food.

Will definitely be back.

Oh - if it isn't already posted - they now have a live web site and menu posted:

http://therubyvictoria.com

Edited by LocalMom, 10 May 2015 - 05:40 PM.

• Mr_E_Squirrel likes this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Is this place at all affiliated with Jam?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

Nope.

Matt.

ETA: Wellllllllllll maybe sorta kinda - the cook running the joint worked at Jam just prior.

Edited by Matt R., 11 May 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#11 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

Reading positive review after positive review of The Ruby here and elsewhere we decided to give it a try. Unfortunately our experience was shockingly bad.

1 - the hash browns were raw. Yes, raw. I did not know a restaurant could screw that up.

2 - my plate, the duck hash, had no taste. Total blandness.

3 - I ordered medium poached eggs but I got soft. That's heresy for a breakfast place

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

Is that where the Butter Dell was? I loved their steak sandwich.

#13 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

Yes it was the Butter Dell before Hotel Zed opened with The Ruby.

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Quite the post about a dog killing on their facebook page today.

https://www.facebook...ictoria?fref=ts

Matt.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Yes, quite:

The-ruby-dog-pitbull-post.jpg

Know it all.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

Google review:

hn4.png

• Nparker and Jill like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

That is hilarious :P

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Best response ever. 

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Len might not be a hotel guest, but there will always be hotel guests that say "who cares if I bring my own XXX in" not really understanding it's really a stand-alone business.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

I know where I'm having breakfast the next time I'm in Victoria.

• Nparker and Mr_E_Squirrel like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users