The new Douglas Street plan (2015) - Hillside through downtown divided lanes

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

Oh oh. Suddenly the little "tables" at the southeast corner make sense. I can't say I'm thrilled about brick and mortar businesses having to compete with food trucks stationed at the busiest intersection in downtown Victoria.

You know, it's funny how the DVBA relies on businesses to fund them, then they turn around and do something like this.

Each time I passed, it seemed unbusy.  Then again, they do a bit of a lousy job of being cool.

No way to at least shroud some of the equip?

IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0096.JPG

Where is the AMAZING tent-sign?  Many may not even know it's open for general passer-by business.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

There are a bunch of these "bike kitchens" all over Saanich - one at each rec centre, plus one on the Lochside Regional Trail.

They're so used I actually saw the Saanich Yard replacing some of the equipment; went over and chatted with them and it was because they were worn out from use. That's actually quite impressive.

Today was the first time I went downtown in almost a month. The paint on the Douglas crosswalks just looks off but I cannot figure out why? Nonetheless I appreciate the effort and the revitalization.

#163 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

Empire donuts and 2% Jazz were on the sidewalk at that spot on Friday afternoon.

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

It's time to call an end to the pavement colour project, and admit it's a failure.  It's embarrassing.  Take pride in the bike cover and the other installation kitty-corner, plus the design on the Jawl building.  But painting the pavement on what is one of the busiest intersections in the city was a bad idea.  It just looks like a big ugly mess for tourists and locals alike.

If that was outside my business, I'd be furious.  Alas, it's mostly outside the businesses of ones that don't care much.  The head offices of Bulk Barn, Scotiabank, BMO, Shopper's and Mac's are not losing sleepover it.

MORE PHOTOS

20914713_1635520539800945_83178575762628

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 August 2017 - 06:03 AM.

• Bingo and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#165 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

Let's put it this way.  If a business frontage at the corner of Yates and Douglas had flaking, fading, failing and patched up pink and green and red paint-work, we'd all call for it to clean itself up.  Maybe even pitch in to help.  And that would be a private business that may or may not be in good financial shape.  

But when the City of Victoria, with a budget of over $200,000,000 every year, can not see fit to clean its own streets, it seems odd.

YES, DVBA and City, you will have to eat a bit of crow and admit the project was not perfect, as you remove it.  But that's better than the continuing ridicule it receives.

Yesterday, a group of Dragon Boat paddlers were crossing, and the whole lot of them were laughing at it.  Pointing their paddles.  Probably a group that does not come downtown very often, and has not become used to it..  I felt embarrassed.    

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 August 2017 - 06:45 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

I am still puzzled as to why this design was ever chosen.
  • sebberry likes this

#167 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

I am still puzzled as to why this design was ever chosen.

The design is/was fine.  But what painted intersection in what city in the world was pointed out to the planners to show them the durability of this paint?

#168 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

It is/was a childish design not befitting a major intersection in an urban centre. Even when it was brand new it was laughable. Time to powerwash away what paint remains on the sidewalks, repaint that garish bus shelter and donate those bizarre bird feeders (or whatever they are) to a children's playground.

#169 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

It's time to call an end to the pavement colour project, and admit it's a failure.  It's embarrassing.  

It's not even art and it looks like hell and we don't need to take it anymore.

#170 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Bulk Barn has head office there?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#171 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Bulk Barn has head office there?

No, I mean head office of Bulk Barn wherever it is cares little about the Victoria outlet sidewalk scene.  Nor does the local manager.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 August 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#172 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

the puzzle pieces were just a badly thought out design, if they really wanted a to look like puzzle pieces with a little thought it could have been done while being designed soo much better..to me they made the cross walk no longer look like a cross walk and that alone made them a failure.. i'm not against the street art, giving a cross walk an added punch, the ones on fort street look really nice while still looking like a cross walk

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

...I'm not against the street art, giving a cross walk an added punch. The ones on Fort street look really nice while still looking like a cross walk

Exactly. The Douglas Street efforts came off as amateurish and poorly thought-out.

• Jackerbie likes this

#174 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

33 comments HERE, all negative.

55 comments HERE, 53 negative, 2 neutral.

#175 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

... repaint that garish bus shelter ...

I believe the yellow bus shelter is actually just vinyl. I remember walking by as it was being installed. So it could likely easily be peeled off rather than the expense of repainting it.

I agree the puzzle pieces are awful and I'm happy to see them fading (though not quickly enough), but I like all the other bits that were part of this project. Or at least, I've gotten used to them...

• thundergun likes this

#176 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

I believe the yellow bus shelter is actually just vinyl. I remember walking by as it was being installed. So it could likely easily be peeled off rather than the expense of repainting it...

Well, whatever it takes to get rid of that awful colour.

#177 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

33 comments HERE, all negative.

55 comments HERE, 53 negative, 2 neutral.

OMG PEOPLE COMPLAINED ABOUT SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET!!!!1!11!!11!!! STOP EVERYTHING AND DO SOMETHING

#178 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Joe Perkins did 10-minute piece on the paint today.  He agrees with me.

#179 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

I found some really tasteful decorative sidewalks in Manhattan Beach, CA. I'll upload the pictures when I get a chance to compress them. (Files are too large and I'm only accessing VV by mobile at the moment)
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

I found some really tasteful decorative sidewalks in Manhattan Beach, CA ...

If you're going to decorate sidewalks properly either colour the concrete at the time it is poured or better yet, use colour pavers. Painting concrete in high traffic areas will always be a losing proposition.

• Mattjvd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users