Photo

Elizabeth May | Green Party of Canada Leader

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#81 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

I think she's been exposed to too much wifi, the electromagnetism is effecting her.  Someone get her a space blanket.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#82 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Someone get her a space blanket.

Heh, I just watched that episode :cheers:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#83 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, I always think of May when that character comes up.

HCAuSVB.png

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#84 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

spaceblanket.jpg

Chuck even kind of looks like Elizabeth.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Elizabeth "So glad I don't have WiFi at home" May:

Elizabeth-May-and-her-cellphone.jpg

I've been waiting for Margaret Wente to weigh in on this.

Elizabeth May lays an egg

Elizabeth May, however, loves the media, and they treat her well. The fact that she’s a little wacky is considered part of her charm. She is a sort of parliamentary mascot. Nobody takes her seriously, but she gets respectful coverage because her cause is thought to be high-minded. Besides, she’s always good for an instant anti-Harper quote. For these reasons, she gets far more airtime than she deserves.

Ms. May gets away with stuff that no other politician would – certainly no party leader. Imagine the fuss if any Conservative had delivered such a bumbling, profanity-laced speech to the nation’s leading journos. He would have been booed off the stage. He would have been judged unfit for his position and relegated to the nether regions of the party for the rest of his career. <-- this!

Personally, I felt sorrier for Lisa Raitt, a true friend, who calmly attempted to steer Ms. May off the stage before she flung herself into the abyss. Ms. May’s now famous exit line was, “Omar Khadr, you’ve got more class than the whole f---ing cabinet.” Which seemed more than a bit unfair to her friend Ms. Raitt, who happens to be a member of that cabinet.

I have no idea if Ms. May was tired and refreshed that night, or just tired. I have the impression that she scribbled her speech notes on the plane from Vancouver. A lot of it dealt in an unfunny way with how she deserves to be on the stage with the big boys. “Which of us as leaders is not like the other?” she asked, playing the gender card. Unfortunately, her remarks merely confirmed that she’s not in the same league as the big boys. Ouch!

As for Omar Khadr, there really isn’t a good Khadr joke. He killed a man. Like Ms May, I think he deserves to get out of jail and get on with his life. That doesn’t mean he’s a hero. But to many on the left, that’s exactly what he is. Elevating him to sainthood is a good way of sticking it to that effing Harper and those effing Americans.

Read more: http://www.theglobea...rticle24416814/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

I didn't know this, but May is actually American-born. I guess that makes her statement regarding Khadr a little more creepier.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

This conversation cropped up on Twitter. I got curious and took a gander. Talk about speaking a little too soon, hey? lol...

Elizabeth-May-twitter.jpg

Know it all.

#88 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Elizabeth "So glad I don't have WiFi at home" May:

Elizabeth-May-and-her-cellphone.jpg

I've been waiting for Margaret Wente to weigh in on this.

Someone earlier in this thread called it an iPhone...   :badpc:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#89 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

I don't know what the big deal is. I feel utterly unfazed by this, and still think May is a fantastic politician (recall, a year ago, she was voted Paliament hill's 'hardest working MP' by her peers).

Eh, I'd rather my reps didn't swear on camera -looks bad, and she clearly picked a bad night to fail to hold her liquor.

Gordon Campbell, MP Peter Goldring (Edmonton) were both charged with drunk driving. I guess they could have killed someone. That strikes me as serious.

Apparently Rene Levesque, Quebec separatist (remember him?) actually did hit a homeless guy while drunk, and killed him. Brutal. I guess things were different in the 1970s.

This too shall pass.

• Nparker and Jill like this

#90 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, any previous May supporter will remain unchanged and those opposed to her will remain so. Nothing really changes, and you are not going to change anybody's mind on this forum.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#91 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

Wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjRBoLZ6ZV8

"What the sober woman has on her mind, the drunken woman has on her tongue"

#92 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

Well in her ads she was twice voted the "hardest drinking MP" in Ottawa. At least I think that's what they said.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#93 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

https://www.thepostm...h-may-bullying/

https://www.thestar....zabeth-may.html

Looks like te double standard of #metoo and feminism is getting in the way here. Apparently these complaints go back a few years and are from some pretty credible sources

https://www.national...sexist-coverage

#94 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Bosses yelled at me when I screwed up. I got over it without bleating to investigators, tribunals and star chambers or filing lawsuits.
  • Matt R. likes this

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Ya me too. Quit if the boss sucks.
  • johnk likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#96 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Bosses yelled at me when I screwed up. I got over it without bleating to investigators, tribunals and star chambers or filing lawsuits.

It's 2018, times have permanently changed ... and rest assured that we're never going back.

This is the new norm.

Folks like May, who have built careers based on a public persona that presents one personality, but who drop that "friendly" persona completely in private to become (apparently) a bully and a textbook "bad boss" aren't going to be cut any breaks moving forward.

I'm not 100% convinced everything we're reading about movie stars, politicians, and business figures is true ... but for the folks who get accused, their only hope is that it's not.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#97 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

But is there a sexist angle to this? Is May being treated unfairly in a way that men get away with? To put it another way if John Horgan and Elizabeth May were both yelling at you, which of the two would really rub you the wrong way (all politics aside)? Are we biased against strong women?

• tedward, John M. and FirstTimeHomeCrier like this

#98 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Very interesting. Being true and firm is all good. Being a bully isn’t. I’ve never had a bully boss. Would never tolerate it either.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#99 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

But is there a sexist angle to this? Is May being treated unfairly in a way that men get away with? To put it another way if John Horgan and Elizabeth May were both yelling at you, which of the two would really rub you the wrong way (all politics aside)? Are we biased against strong women?

Don't think that I would like anyone yelling at me. 

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

The very first thing the Green Party did was try to discredit the accusers, cast doubt on their "credibility".  The very first thing. 

It wasn't until the Hill Times found 4 additional accusers that the Green Party acted on the actal allegations.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 January 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• Rob Randall and spanky123 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users