BUILT
Tapestry at Victoria Harbour
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 701 Belleville Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Tapestry at Victoria Harbour is a 15-storey mixed-use seniors rental and condominium residence with ground flo... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tapestry at Victoria Harbour on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Tapestry / 701 Belleville Street | Seniors condos and rentals; commercial | 15- & 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#121 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Surely "building height" couldn't have been a bone of contention could it? In Victoria? How unusual.  :whyme:

Not as long as its kept to the standard XV floors ...

• Nparker likes this

#122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

I quote the following in its entirety for both its typical anti-development position and the location of its author

Proposed building not best use of site

As long as the Crystal Court Motel has been closed down, I had been envisioning an enlarged, park-like corridor between the Royal B.C. Museum and St. Ann’s Academy. And I had hoped that the city would either buy this property or trade it for another site elsewhere in Victoria for this purpose. It is my opinion that the proposed Tapestry building would be an insult to both the historic and the esthetic significance of this area in central Victoria.

J.U. (Peter) Blumel

Ladysmith

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.ZS0ONts2.dpuf

I'm sorry Mr. Blumel, but it's none of your dang business what the CoV chooses to allow to be developed on private land. 

• 2F2R likes this

#123 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

I think this is a decent design for the Interurban neighbourhood in Central Saanich. Wait, this is for the Crystal Court site on Belleville? Really?! Oh, crap.

• Nparker likes this

#124 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

I think it's fair to look at opportunities to use landscape design to link the Legislature/RBCM district with the neglected St. Ann's property. The previous Crystal Court designs accomplished this to varying degrees.

Robert Randall

Saanich

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

I think it's fair to look at opportunities to use landscape design to link the Legislature/RBCM district with the neglected St. Ann's property. The previous Crystal Court designs accomplished this to varying degrees.

Robert Randall

Saanich

Get 'em outta here!

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:37 AM

I think it's fair to look at opportunities to use landscape design to link the Legislature/RBCM district with the neglected St. Ann's property...

I have no problems incorporating decent landscaping into this proposal, but I don't think there is any overwhelming need for the entire Crystal Court lot to be turned into more green space. The lawn bowling green and the already underused Cridge Park are more than sufficient in this block.

green.JPG

And I am not sure I'd call this "neglected"

neglect.JPG

• tedward likes this

#127 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

We need more parks to link all of the parks together.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#128 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

For example, this was one of the 1,205 Crystal Court proposals by James Cheng:

streetlevel_perspective.jpg

#129 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

I think a decent cafe on the ground floor of this place might well serve as a link through to St. Ann's. The sidewalk on that side has never had any life, but if you put something there (instead of having nothing there) you may actually give people a reason to walk by and/or linger.

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#130 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

^Yes, the present model reminds me too much of the Victoria Conference Centre retail strip. Not inviting.

Just for kicks, remember the previous CC models?

models4.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

For example, this was one of the 1,205 Crystal Court proposals by James Cheng..

I fully agree - the current proposal is the weakest one for this site to date. Based on what has happened with each new iteration, I'd hate to think what future modifications might bring to this site.  :whyme:

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

It's been a few months now since last we heard anything about this project. Any info on when it might get started? Does it still need final approval from the CoV?

#133 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

I fully agree - the current proposal is the weakest one for this site to date. Based on what has happened with each new iteration, I'd hate to think what future modifications might bring to this site.  :whyme:

I think that's how they choose ... the weakest, blandest and lowest ... 

#134 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

The version from November was decent. They just need to add a dash of pepper.

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

Any updates on this project?

#136 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Any updates on this project?

Yes- this project is going to Council on Thursday April 27 where both the rezoning and development permit are on the agenda.  City staff support the project application.  The complete report can be found here (warning:  large file):  https://victoria.civ...le Street_U.pdf

• Nparker likes this

#137 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

A gamble going for both the rezoning and DP in one shot.

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

That usually indicates the level of support from staff is pretty strong, and feedback from politicians have proven to be very positive.

I don't think there's much appetite to obstruct this project, given the need for rentals and given that these homes are earmarked for seniors. Pushback will be limited other than a few talking points.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

Do we know if they received them?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#140 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

I wasn't at the meeting last night, but I checked the Development Tracker today and it appears that Council opted to send this one to a public hearing.  That hearing is now scheduled for Thursday May 11.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users