• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:17 AM

http://www.timescolo...-bank-1.1973834

A foreclosure action has been launched against the celebrated Sooke Harbour House by the Business Development Bank of Canada.

The bank states in court documents that it is owed $2.9 million on a 1997 mortgage for the two properties making up Frederique and Sinclair Philip’s picturesque waterfront hotel and restaurant at 1528 Whiffen Spit Rd.

No hearing date has been set.

The property’s total value is $3 million, the bank said in documents filed this week in the Supreme Court of B.C.

Sooke Harbour House is continuing to operate. A hotel spokesman could not be reached on Thursday.

Frank Bourree, tourism consultant and principal at Victoria’s Chemistry Consulting, said: “Frederique and Sinclair are wonderful people and great operators. It is a world-class facility.” The Philips are “major contributors to the social fabric of Sooke and the tourism industry,” Bourree said.

Both the recession and tougher enforcement on drinking-and- driving rules have affected the hospitality sector, said Bourree, who has done work for the Philips in the past.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.ESYO3fqL.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

Or could it be that they were perceived as the fancy restaurant your parents go on special occasions, like the Deep Cove Chalet. And that the under-35 crowd today is looking to places like Little Jumbo and OLO for upscale dining.

• Greg likes this

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Or could it be that they were perceived as the fancy restaurant your parents go on special occasions, like the Deep Cove Chalet. And that the under-35 crowd today is looking to places like Little Jumbo and OLO for upscale dining.

I went to the Deep Cove Chalet about a year ago for dinner. I didn't make a reservation which was a big mistake - not that the place was anywhere near full - but that I had the gall to do it.  I think that the under 35 crowd expects more flexibility and freedom than a number of the fancy places allow.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

I went to the Deep Cove Chalet about a year ago for dinner. I didn't make a reservation which was a big mistake - not that the place was anywhere near full - but that I had the gall to do it.  I think that the under 35 crowd expects more flexibility and freedom than a number of the fancy places allow.

So you mean they expressed dissatisfaction with your unannounced drop in?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

Good point about younger people. SHH is an internationally-recognized spot but I think pricier than younger people want to bear. Unless people have traveled and eaten in some really good restaurants the international accolades may not count for much. Some might perceive it as stuffy or pretentious, which it isn't.
Hopefull they will find a way to continue, it would be a shame to lose the one genuine star in the local resto scene.
  • Nparker likes this

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

So you mean they expressed dissatisfaction with your unannounced drop in?

That would put it mildly.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

That would put it mildly.

That's interesting.  I'm almost 50 years old, and I think I've made dinner reservations at best 5 times in my life.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

SHH is also in ...Sooke. Very few people want to venture out 40km for dinner that will cost them 2x what it would cost in an average restaurant in downtown Victoria -- and you can't have more than a beer, nor is it feasible for most to catch a taxi to and fro. If SHH was the Esquimalt Harbour House things would be different.

• thundergun and johnk like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

It is a hotel as well though but yeah Sooke is not really my thing either.

#10 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

It's also apparently gone downhill of late.  We considered going there for a couple of nights for a special occasion but were put off by the poor reviews.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

I guess things haven't been on the up-and-up. Certainly when you've got problems with the bank you're not going to be putting a lot of energy and effort into maintaining what was once a prized place.

Very poorly maintained,the grounds, rooms and buildings are very worn and need serious improvement for the vastly overpriced room charges. Highly rated restaurant not worth going to, ok food, very poor service. Very disappointing as it had earned a good reputation that it no longer deserves.

Tremendous disapointment...limited menu 15 minutes between servings. Tuna Tatar was so bad we thought we might get food poisoning. We finished main course at 9 pm and were talked into desert by a condescending pretentious waitres that took 20 minutes to get. . .after recieving bill we sat twenty minutes to pay finally paid,left a tip that wasn't deserved and...

The property is modeled after a quaint country inn, and our room had a beatiful view with a wood burning fireplace. But the entire place seemed tired - the threadbare carpet everywhere looks like it was put in over 30 years ago, the bathroom mediocre and there is a pervasive smell of something old in the hallways and dining room....

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

That's interesting.  I'm almost 50 years old, and I think I've made dinner reservations at best 5 times in my life.

That is because you are VHF and you always get the VIP treatment :-)

My expectation is that even if the place is full the staff at least feign an effort to find you a place to sit and then either offer a later sitting or hand you a business card so you have the reservation number for next time.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

I guess things haven't been on the up-and-up. Certainly when you've got problems with the bank you're not going to be putting a lot of energy and effort into maintaining what was once a prized place.

The property is modeled after a quaint country inn, and our room had a beatiful view with a wood burning fireplace. But the entire place seemed tired - the threadbare carpet everywhere looks like it was put in over 30 years ago, the bathroom mediocre and there is a pervasive smell of something old in the hallways and dining room....

Fawlty Towers perhaps?

Edited by Nparker, 19 June 2015 - 04:47 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

The Sooke Mirror or whatever it's called is reporting in an interview with the owners that there is no foreclosure happening, quite the opposite actually with millions of dollars in investment happening imminently.

Times Colonist not pick up the phone?  Someone's only telling part of the story.

http://www.sookenews...tml?mobile=true

Matt.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

Two very different stories. I guess time will tell which one has more truth to it.

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

^^ TC has updated their story.

#17 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

Updated?

That's an entirely different story with a different angle.  Shocking that they would even publish the original one.

Matt.

• Nparker likes this

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:49 AM

Original article:

The bank states in court documents that it is owed $2.9 million on a 1997 mortgage for the two properties making up Frederique and Sinclair Philip’s picturesque waterfront hotel and restaurant at 1528 Whiffen Spit Rd.

No hearing date has been set.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.vPW1ZdI9.dpuf

And it said a hotel rep could not be reached.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

Updated?

That's an entirely different story with a different angle.  Shocking that they would even publish the original one.

Matt.

The TC reported the fact and the hotel owner didn't respond to a request for comment. Perhaps the owner was unavailable or the TC didn't allow enough time for a response I don't know. I would hope that in these types of higher profile stories the media is providing sufficient time to get both sides.

What is interesting reading the Mirror article is that the owner states that the financial deal has had a few 'bumps' and is not complete yet.  

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

The place is worth $3M and the new investment is $7M. Seems odd.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users