191 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

:banana:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

It's a juried event, as in you must be vetted before you are granted permission to participate. So there is absolutely nothing standing in the way of the DVBA controlling the volume of registrants.

Well, let's say they got 400 applicants for 175 spaces last year, but quite frankly, they felt they had 256 quality vendors.  So you lower your quality threshold just slightly and raise your rates.  I'm not sure it's all that big a deal.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

^How about you just get one awesome vendor and charge them $17,500?

The Reese's Peanut Butter Cup I just ate must have given me the extra brainpower required to come up with that.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

They had 275 vendors last year, up from about 230 the first year. So they're raising rates and raising capacity, or at least that was the case last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the event extended by an additional block this year.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

How about charging the corporate folks like the banks, phone providers, insurance companies and all the other big money players that few are interested in seeing at these events more money or keeping them out completely and supporting the small time local folks? 

Maybe we'll even see the poverty pimps out this year looking for support and handouts.

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

How many pot shops will there be do ya think. I hope they have free samples.

• Dietrich likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

I am pretty members of City Council will be handing out these samples themselves on behalf of all the shops they have licensed (against federal laws).

#88 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Got to love the same council that started car free day will also be the one that kills it.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 21 February 2017 - 09:50 AM.

• Dietrich likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#89 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Got to live the same council that started car free day will also be the one that kills it.

Over $25? Seems hard to believe. I love all the local business that come out and appreciate the efforts of theirs to make events like this a success, however, if $25 is the cutting line for profitability perhaps it's less a business and more a hobby.

Is there any information about how registration is going? Seems like this is anger in search of a problem?

Edited by 57WestHills, 21 February 2017 - 08:15 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#90 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

How about charging the corporate folks like the banks, phone providers, insurance companies and all the other big money players that few are interested in seeing at these events more money or keeping them out completely and supporting the small time local folks? 

Maybe we'll even see the poverty pimps out this year looking for support and handouts.

A lot of those bigger groups have the best giveaways for kids.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Nothing like a ScotiaBank balloon or a Shaw lanyard to celebrate the arts in Victoria ;)
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Dietrich and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#92 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

Is that what the event is for?  I thought it was just a fun family festival.  Yeah I don't mind a free Vancity frisbee for each of my kids.  

#93 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

That's an interesting thought - do any of the potshops belong to the DVBA - what is the DVBA's policy on that?

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

Car Free Day is marketed as a "celebration of community and downtown."
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

That's an interesting thought - do any of the potshops belong to the DVBA - what is the DVBA's policy on that?

Many of them do, automatically.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Many of them do, automatically.

It must be free membership, since these "businesses" seem reluctant to want to contribute much in the way of funds back to the greater community - or are they all paying PST and GST now?

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Is it just me or has this event garnered a lot less attention this year?

#98 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

Is it just me or has this event garnered a lot less attention this year?

I've been hearing and seeing a lot about it myself. I forgot it was coming up but the waive of publicity in the last week reminded me; actually changed my schedule so I can go!

#99 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

I forgot about it until they put an electric sign at Bay and Tyee reminding people about the possible imminent traffic insanity.  I mean, community event. :)

I can walk from home, or take the ferry.  I used to do the craft show circuit, so it will be interesting to see who they draw.

Edited by kafkaesque, 15 June 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#100 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

I will not be attending this year's Douglas Street festival.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag and Love the rock like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users