CANCELLED
Sidney Crossing
Use: commercial
Address: 2165 Beacon Avenue West
Municipality: Sidney
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sidney Crossing was a 98,995 square foot commercial development proposed in the Town of Sidney on Victoria's S... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sidney Crossing on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sidney] Sidney Crossing | 98,995 sq. ft. shopping centre | Cancelled in 2018

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

This was January 15th:

It comes as Sidney’s downtown vacancy rate is at a historic high with 45 commercial vacancies, he said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.5LCUPbTS.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,157 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

50% vacant space increase in two months? Something's up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

I bet most of those are the second floor ones. Not ideal retail.

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,157 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Downtown Sidney is tired, stale and boring. It's like downtown Qualicum. It'll appeal to a few folks but the majority visit once or twice and have absolutely no reason to return.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

I met with the new Sidney BIA in 2013.  They told me at the time that "the number of vacancies will be the measuring stick for how well the BIA does".

If that's still the stick, then I guess the BIA has failed.  Its term will be up in 2018.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

I'd say Beacon Avenue is a gold mine waiting to happen. It just needs more density and a hipper vibe. It's unique for being the only commercial street in Victoria outside of downtown that is oriented toward the ocean and actually terminates at the waterfront, which is really odd when you think about it. Why should that be so unusual? And on an island, too. It's as if Victorians didn't want to be reminded of the ocean or something. To me Sidney seems less like BC and more like California in that regard. If it were parallel to the water then Beacon Avenue's future would be bleak, I think. But with that oceanfront aspect and its genuine urban form re: minimal setbacks and pedestrian-friendly square blocks... the neighbourhood has nothing but potential. Pack it full of mixed-use lowrise buildings and reap the benefits. Maybe even allow taller buildings closer to the highway, to encourage the elimination of the strip malls. (Just no widescrapers, for goodness' sake.)

Edited by aastra, 21 March 2016 - 05:23 PM.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

I'd say Beacon Avenue is a gold mine waiting to happen. It just needs more density and a hipper vibe. It's unique for being the only commercial street in Victoria outside of downtown that is oriented toward the ocean and actually terminates at the waterfront, which is really odd when you think about it. Why should that be so unusual? And on an island, too. It's as if Victorians didn't want to be reminded of the ocean or something. To me Sidney seems less like BC and more like California in that regard. If it were parallel to the water then Beacon Avenue's future would be bleak, I think. But with that oceanfront aspect and its genuine urban form re: minimal setbacks and pedestrian-friendly square blocks... the neighbourhood has nothing but potential. Pack it full of mixed-use lowrise buildings and reap the benefits. Maybe even allow taller buildings closer to the highway, to encourage the elimination of the strip malls.

I agree with you, Sidney is so nice.  It also has a bit of a beach too, how neat is that?

They need to get rid of some of the low-rise commercial, make it 12 floors.

• Nparker likes this

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

Surprise, surprise, the report says Sidney Gateway would be good for the city.

http://www.timescolo...eport-1.2265512

#49 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

Tanner's out of his mind.  All that Beacon Ave has to offer is coffee shops, bookstores, and expensive boutiques catered to old people.  Hell, I needed a basic lunchkit last year for work and decided to get one in Sidney (close to home).  Could not find one to save my life - Capital Iron, Home Hardware, the drug stores...nothing.  This kind of piss-poor selection means that i'm heading into town for basic things like that.  Sidney desperately needs more options for us regular folk.

Despite this, i'm not entirely enthused with the development just yet.  The last thing we need is another grocery store and another pharmacy.  Get a London Drugs in there, though, and i'll be first in line - they usually have a much better selection of products than any of the other pharmacies we have in town.

Edited by Jables, 30 May 2016 - 10:34 AM.

• Nparker and http like this

#50 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

I hope Sidney council turns this down - another car-centric mall is exactly what the town & region doesn't need. That development money needs to be redirected into the town itself, redeveloping some of the one story shops into three & four story buildings with storefronts right on the sidewalk.

• Fernwoodian likes this

#51 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

Of course you feel that way....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#52 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Auto-centric development is bad fiscally - the property taxes off a traditional downtown is far more than even a new mall will generate

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,157 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:13 AM

It's far better financially than a barren piece of otherwise unusable land.

I think the world will continue to turn once this is built and in a couple of years Sidney residents won't even recall what was there before.

Know it all.

#54 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:12 AM

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,157 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:01 AM

I'm pretty confident this will be a complete non-issue once built. Sidney residents will love it.

Know it all.

#56 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Can confirm - will love it. If they have the right tenants.

#57 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Any word on movement for the Beacon Ave overpass? That's what I'm more interested in.

• Nparker likes this

#58 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

Sidney needs more stores and services. I am sure it will get built and I'm sure people will like it.

These little power centres aren't built to last eons. They are easy to tear down after 40 years when the owner decides to flip the land.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,157 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

Yeah, that's the thing, it's disposable architecture for a reason.

And looking at it from an environmental angle I can't see how having people travel 5 km to access those stores is somehow an issue compared to people currently traveling 15-20, if not much further.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#60 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

Throw a few bioswales, permeable pavers, and native plants into the parking lot and the environmental impact is negligible anyway.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users